June 29-July 4 Trip Report

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

June 29-July 4 Trip Report

Postby travelingcpl68 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am

This was our fifth trip in two years. I guess you can say we are sort of fond of the place. :wink:

We used USA Transfers this time instead of Transbeach as Transbeach is really high now and they were late picking us up last time. I HIGHLY recommend USA Transfers. Easy to spot at airport, greeter very friendly as we waited for van (didn't take long), and $30 cheaper than Transbeach. If you are looking for transportation to the resort, book with them.

We checked in a little early. No hot towel :( And took awhile to get the champagne. But, easy and efficient as always. They did tell us about the 15 minute pool chair rule.

Service is always great at Desire, but it was even more stepped up this time. People who in the past that maybe weren't as outgoing or friendly as some of the other employees were very friendly and talkative (even the pizza woman!).

The food. Hmmm. Well. The buffet was noticeably better although we only ate there one night. The lunch salad bar is also considerably better. Much fresher, higher quality ingredients, more fruit options (whole fruits, not just the chopped up or syrupy stuff). Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Suki. While the hibachi was about the same, we were disappointed when we ordered off the menu and never had been in the past. It just wasn't all that good and we didn't get what we ordered. Il Piacere was about the same as in previous trips.

The entertainment staff was excellent. Vanessa, Hector, and Dianna are awesome.

As for the pool chairs, we have only had serious issues in one trip and that was last June. This time, no problems. We are early risers though so we would have our place by 9 at the latest. I didn't really notice people's stuff being taken away after 15 minutes so I doubt that is being enforced strictly, but again, there really didn't seem to be any issues with people finding a place.

The gym was packed every morning by 8:30. Not sure I've ever seen that gym be utilized so much. Makes me wish it was slightly bigger, but I still remember the old equipment so I'm thrilled with what they have now even if the space is small.

I thought I would miss my "hang out" area by the lobby that they enclosed with glass and made into offices, but I didn't. They also do Eyes Wide Shut there now instead of the disco. Nightly entertainment was great every night (none of that lull you to sleep stuff).

As usual the time went by too fast :( I'm going to miss our October trip (we opted for Desire Week at Temptations in Cabo this year), but looking forward to going back same time next year!
SLS and SDC: Travelingcpl68
travelingcpl68
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 21 Oct 2021

Postby TwoDV8s » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for the report. We are headed there tomorrow.
TwoDV8s
Desire Lover

Postby mrkbllr » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:26 pm

we will be going there tomorrow. Is there a DVD player in the gym.
mrkbllr

Postby chonobob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Where exactly is this new glass enclosed room by the lobby? I wish the resort or someone would post pics of this.
chonobob
Desire Fan

Postby TwoDV8s » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 pm

chonobob wrote:Where exactly is this new glass enclosed room by the lobby? I wish the resort or someone would post pics of this.

The large palapa outside of the gift shop has been enclosed with glass.
TwoDV8s
Desire Lover

Postby Powderfinger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:25 pm

TwoDV8s wrote:
chonobob wrote:Where exactly is this new glass enclosed room by the lobby? I wish the resort or someone would post pics of this.

The large palapa outside of the gift shop has been enclosed with glass.

Without a doubt, this newly enclosed palapa is the biggest waste of space at Desire. In it's former incarnation, there was almost always someone under it, whether checking their e-mail with a cup of coffee, or having an after dinner drink while taking in the evening's entertainment. Now, it's virtually empty 24/7. I know I've heard that it was to be used for the Premiere pitches, but those folks were sitting down in the buffet at breakfast every morning........
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Houston_Hammah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:56 am

Powderfinger wrote:Without a doubt, this newly enclosed palapa is the biggest waste of space at Desire. In it's former incarnation, there was almost always someone under it, whether checking their e-mail with a cup of coffee, or having an after dinner drink while taking in the evening's entertainment. Now, it's virtually empty 24/7. I know I've heard that it was to be used for the Premiere pitches, but those folks were sitting down in the buffet at breakfast every morning........

When we were there in May, they started the Premiere pitch in the buffet and then moved to the enclosed area to go through the options/pricing.
Houston_Hammah
Desire Fan

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya