Another wonderful trip, but...

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Another wonderful trip, but...

Postby Desirecupl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

We just returned last week from another great visit to Desire. We had a fantastic time! We have absolutely no complaints about the resort this time. A few minor quibbles, but nothing worth reporting. They really do just keep getting better--food, service, WiFi, beach, grounds all improved this time. No, this time our complaint is with a few of our fellow guests.

Like the guy in the playroom who sat in one corner on "Emergency 69" theme night (we remember it because he was wearing a stethoscope) and pleasured himself while leering at other guests...without a woman in sight...for a loooong time. WTH? Where was this guy's wife or girlfriend? Not cool.

Like a few drunken male guests who think that being naked in the jacuzzi gives them carte blanche to fondle female guests they don't know. Not cool.

Like the few couples who insist on taking up much-in-demand bed space in the playroom while engaged in loud pillow talk. Not cool.

Like the people who insist on smoking in the jacuzzi, which is against the rules. Not cool.

Like the couple we saw on a beach bed during one of our daytime beach walks who was engaged in fairly open and obvious mattress dancing, even while guests from other resorts walked by. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. Not cool.

These guests are, of course, a very small minority. Most of the people we met were classy, fun, and very respectful. And those few guests certainly didn't ruin the experience for us. We just don't want them to ruin it for anyone else.
Desirecupl

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 pm

We have run into many of these same type of people also. They think it's all about them and are not respectful of others. As far as the dude pleasuring himself in the play room, we ran into the same problem. My wife point blank told the dude to leave before she turned him in. We have seen guys who bring a "friend" on the trip with them just so they can perve out. One guy flat out told us he brought a friend - offered to pay for her vacation so he could stay at the resort.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby tout.prest » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Wow ! You can't fix stupid can you :roll: ? Sorry to her that a few bad apples affected your trips enjoyment.

As for the guys making the unsolicited gropes in the hottub. They should be very careful, as thats a quick way to get your ass kicked by some of the other men up there. And rightly so I might add ! Its a long way down off that rooftop.....

Buddy in the playroom is , to us, just gross. Again, should have been dealt with 'harshly'. There is no way my wife would feel cool with that going on in the corner. I really don't know who you would report it to though ? I have never seen security up in the club, and disciplining perves really isn't part of the bartenders job description.

As for the idiots on the beach........ this has been a problem for years now, that some people feel they have the right to break one of the VERY FEW rules at Desire. And in so doing, put all of our vacations at this type of resort, at risk.

Did I mention you can't fix stupid ? :roll: Sheesh.........

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby bmw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm

To all of you Desire veterans, how common is it to run into idiots like Desirecupl had the unfortunate experience of meeting. My wife and I are stepping out of our comfort zone a bit on this trip in the hopes of experiencing something fun and exciting at Desire. We are not planning on being wall flowers by any means on this vacation but I have to say that drunk slobs groping my wife just because she happens to be standing next to them will be a major problem. Is this something we should expect to have to deal with on this vacation?
bmw
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 02 Nov 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby Desirecupl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 pm

bmw, please let us emphasize that this was a very unusual and isolated occurrence. We've never had any real problems in several previous visits, and we didn't even consider this a "problem" because we just ignore idiots and knuckleheads. (And they are clearly in the minority.) They got the message pretty quickly that we weren't interested.
Desirecupl

Postby funtrip » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm very happy to hear that was an isolated incident and definetely not the norm. My wife and I just returned from our first trip to desire and loved it, we were looking forward to the playroom but we happened to check it out twice and both times we walked in to that guy sprawled out and doing his thing. It left a bad vibe for us about the playroom so we headed to the jacuzzi instead.

All in all a wonderful trip and really our only complaint was that guy.
funtrip
Desire Convert

Smoking at the jacuzzi

Postby mtgbnk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 am

First let me say I do not smoke, but just curious, when did they ban smoking at the jacuzzi there? I seem to remember on previous trips ash trays on the swim up bar there.
mtgbnk
Desire Fan

Postby DirtRider » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 am

We went to Desire for the first time last July and had a blast. We are returning again this year, but we had two older men who showed too much interest in my wife, even after we make it clear we were not interested in socializing with them beyond basic chit-chat. My wife is naturally friendly and outgoing with anyone (males and females), so I guess some men get the wrong impression.

During one of the contest nights in the disco (think it was something like sexiest man), he approached my wife before the contest and said that during his contest time of dancing that he was going to pull my wife out of the audience and "dance" with her. He said just play along with the act and everyone will love it. Since we already felt a creepy vibe from him after his unwanted attention, we both told him no thanks. He ended up pulling another women out of the audience that, by the look on her face, was not expecting this. He proceeded to dirty dance with her, throw her up on his hips, and lay her on the floor and simulate sex.In my opinion it was not done in the spirit of fun, just a creepy older man trying to get off on a younger attractive women. She handled it the best she could, but if he had done that with my wife without our consent, it may not have ended so nicely. Sorry so long winded, we had other similar instances that week.

The bottom line is yes, go to Desire by all means and be open and friendly to all. However, be careful about what signals you may send, especially if it seems that someone is taking too much unwanted interest in you. In my opinion, it is better to be direct and upfront than to try and be nice and spare someone's feelings. We will be more cautious this year.
DirtRider
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 29 Oct 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC (perfectpath)

Re: Smoking at the jacuzzi

Postby Tree_Frogs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:55 am

mtgbnk wrote:First let me say I do not smoke, but just curious, when did they ban smoking at the jacuzzi there? I seem to remember on previous trips ash trays on the swim up bar there.

I was likely one of the people who insisted on smoking in the Jacuzzi while Desirecupl was there.

In my defense, it was our first time to Desire and I didn't know smoking was not permitted in the hot tub. As mtgbnk said, the bar staff set ash trays out on the swim up side of the bar. I saw them and assumed smoking was ok. On our last night at the resort we were in the hot tub with about four other couples. It was quiet in the Jacuzzi. I asked for an ash tray and was given one but told their manager was buzzing around. If they came up he'd have to take it away because smoking is not permitted in the hot tub. 2:00 am the night before we were leaving the resort was the first I had heard smoking was not permitted.

We were not being inconsiderate, we didn't know!
Tree_Frogs
Desire Convert

Re: Smoking at the jacuzzi

Postby ottawa_cuple » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

mtgbnk wrote:First let me say I do not smoke, but just curious, when did they ban smoking at the jacuzzi there? I seem to remember on previous trips ash trays on the swim up bar there.

I don't know when the sign went up, but when we were there in December, there was a sign saying no smoking in the jacuzzi lounge on the wall on the way up to the Jacuzzi. I can't remember the EXACT wording or location, but it's large and easily seen on the way up or down the stairs.

Despite the sign being large and in an easily-seen location, we unfortunately didn't notice the sign (we generally look at the steps in front of us going up or down to make sure we don't trip & fall) until after we'd spent a 4-7 pm period trying to avoid a man, parked on a stool at the swim-up bar (where we needed to go to get drinks), blowing out his smoke in whatever direction he was facing at the moment. If we'd noticed the sign before, we would have asked him to stop smoking.

Here's our question to the smokers: If you were smoking in the jacuzzi lounge and someone politely asked you to stop, would you? Would it make any difference whether or not there was a sign banning smoking?

Also, a suggestion to Management: Post "No Smoking" logos (those crossed-out red circles with a smoking cigarette in the middle) on various surfaces around the jacuzzi lounge, including on the glass all along the edges of the jacuzzi lounge. And DON'T offer ashtrays to people: it obviously makes people think smoking is allowed.
ottawa_cuple

Postby mandm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 am

bmw - My wife and I went to Desire for the first time last March (for 5 nights). When we went, I would say we were in the same position as you ... feeling like we were taking a step out of our comfort zone in the hopes that we would enjoy ourselves. If we had seen a report like this we would have also been fearful.

But let me say this ... While we understand that different groups can certainly bring different vibes to the resort, we could not have had a better time. We did not experience ANY of the negative things mentioned in the report (not that those things didn't happen). We made some great friends (and we're not swingers) and had a blast in every way from the volleyball court to the jacuzzi, to the disco and playroom. People were extremely respectful on a whole. In fact, we used the jacuzzi beds and the playroom on several occasions and never felt at all uncomfortable. Sure people watch you (which is part of the fun), but usually not overtly.

We are also on the "young" side of Desire lovers (32-33) and my wife was "pursued" on more than one occasion (rightfully so ... She's a HOTTIE in my humble opinion). But again, people were very respectful. In fact, when done respectfully, this "flirting and flattering" can be enough of a turn-on to make NON-swingers rethink their NON-swinging-ness :).

Here we come!! ... March 19-26, 2012!!
mandm

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm

I have to say for every jacka$$ or rude couple we have run into at Desire, we have met 20 GREAT couples......anywhere you go, there are a few bad apples. In my opinion, the great people you meet are what makes Desire the place we keep returning too....forget about the rooms & food ...it is the fun people and memories made! There has never been enough idiots there to even remotely ruin one of our trips.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby miranda » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 pm

@ ottawa_cuple - great ideas about better signage but I highly doubt that would work. If people are still taking photos in public, having sex on the beach beds, and doing things that are 'no-no's' at Desire, some of the rules obviously don't apply to them or else they can't read.

We have never experienced so many smokers as we did during this last trip and we found it almost unbearable. We had to get up and move on so many occasions due to it.

We may have been perceived as the anti-social couple but, for us, smoking is so not sexy and is a real turn off - and we don't care how hot a couple you are.

But we did meet some wonderful people who made another one of our Desire trips fantastic yet again and we will continue to vacation at the Desire properties.

We agree with Cali_desire_cpl - there hasn't been anyone who has remotely ruined any one of our trips to Desire. They have all been fantastic and we can't wait for our next one.
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby bmw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:57 am

Desirecupl and Mandm, thanks for you responses. We've read many trip reports and have seen very little of this type of activity reported. Flirting and being hit on is part of the game and we have no problem with that if done respectfully. Hopefully we end up,with a good group of people in April. It sounds like it really is the luck of the draw.
bmw
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 02 Nov 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: sls

Postby ottawa_cuple » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:44 am

bmw,

You can be SURE there'll be a good group of people when you go in April. No matter when you go, there'll always be a good group of people. There may be one or two people who missed the "social skills" seminar, but they won't ruin your vacation. Just ignore them, move away from them, or if absolutely necessary, be firm with them, and then get on with having fun.
ottawa_cuple

Next

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya