first timers - trip report december 13-17 2012

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

first timers - trip report december 13-17 2012

Postby diamondheaded » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 pm

first and foremost, our trip to Desire was unlike our other trips to mexico in that we only knew 2 other people going (friends harold and bobby from toronto decided to join us there :)). on previous trips to blue bay and temptation (cancun and los cabos) we knew at least 4-6 other couples going, so from that standpoint our trip to desire was a little different from our previous ones where we already knew a great group of people going.

on this trip....save harold and bobby..........we were pretty much alone.........except for the 70 to 80 other couples at the resort during our stay :). of those 70 to 80 other couples - all ages were present - but my guess would be the vast majority were between the ages of 35 - 55

I will try and cover all of the topics, compare the resorts to the other resorts we have been to in mexico and grade each topic on a 1-10 scale. 1 being the least positive experience and 10 being the most positive........if you have any questions after reading, then please let me know and i will respond :)

here goes...

"up up and away"

we flew via american airlines direct out of dallas to cancun and travel both ways went very well. its less than 15 minutes from our driveway to the international terminal at dfw so our travel on most trips is a good experience, except for the horrible weather which usually rears its ugly head on our spring travels.

our flight arrived in cancun ahead of schedule and for our return - we arrived back in dallas ahead of schedule. this time of the year is a great time to travel to cancun as the airport in both cancun and dallas are not as busy as we all know they can be in april and may. i should also point out that flying back into dfw on a monday night this time of the year was a piece of cake.

we have all had great trips almost completely ruined by bad experiences at the airport or other travel related issues and since this experience was so great we may just plan future trips during these "dead" times :)

anyway after we landed in cancun - was a breeze passing through customs there and usa transfers was ready for us when we arrived as they always are :)and then a short drive to the resort

have had horrible experiences with travel on trips to temptation/bluebay getaway cancun and temptation los cabos and would always recommend direct flights at non busy times of the year and/or off peak travel times

travel rating - 10

"in the jungle, the mighty jungle"

the resort is absolutely beautiful. words could never do it justice. the grounds are amazing and it feels as though you are staying in a secluded paradise....which you are :) the landscaping creates a village like atmosphere which is peaceful, relaxing and unique. a very short walk from the room to any location on the property is a joy in and of itself.

quite honestly none of the other resorts we have been to in mexico are comparable. temptation cancun is nice and well kept, but the reality is, as a resort - its just a series of buildings on the bay. temptation los cabos, while much nicer in this regard is still not in the ball park with the layout of desire rm

resort layout 9

"the weather is here I wish you were beautiful"

absolutely perfect and could not have asked for better weather. was perfect every single day. sunny and 80 during the day and nice and mild at night. its a great time of the year to visit the cancun area.

cancun can't compete with los cabos on weather as the weather there is the main draw, but december in cancun is much nicer than september or may in cancun I will say that :)

weather 8

"adult education"

you hear all the clichés "temptation cancun is a frat party for adults" and "temptation los cabos has a laid back California feel" and for the most part, i think this place is sort of a happy medium or cross between the two as far as the "vibe" goes. while there are some wild and crazy times here (more so than los cabos) its never that raunchy testosterone fueled type of "fun" you see at temptation cancun.

the atmosphere at desire is just that of a more mature type fun than that of a pressure cooker party vibe which some would associate with temptation cancun and which can....at times....be down right juvenile and more of a jr high school frat party than an "adult" frat party.....as the antics, constant drama and the massive amount of cliques resemble something more akin to an awkward junior high school pool party than that of adult resort.

now as some may know :) - I am all for a true "adult" party and on our first several trips to blue bay getaway we seemed to find more of that type of a party there - but not in recent years - however, I think we have found that true adult style party vibe again at desire - only m/f couples in a relationship (yes, couples only :)) who seem mature and/or educated enough to understand that having an "adult" party does not mean its okay to throw whiskey bottles, decorate the landscape with condoms, and stay up all night fighting.

the couples only thing - is something I had never given much thought to, but the reality is you never have to worry about "that" issue here and we all know what I am talking about and that is a great piece of mind here as we have all had some of those types of experiences at the temptations of the world. it is just yet another plus to this resort

bottom line here is the vibe is one of its greatest draws for us. mature, great, fun, interesting people on vacation having a great time and maybe a little sex too :)

at both temptations (los cabos and cancun) t and I have seen everything from couple fights to single guy fights and everything in between on each and every trip there and while temptation los cabos is an improvement in that area neither is a match for kinder gentler mature resort that desire rm is

sexy sensual mature vibe 10

"swingtown"

t and I had a large concern over this matter and was one of the main reasons we had held back from booking a trip to desire for so many years. while i am sure that there are weeks there when things are more "swingerfied" than others, while we were there, we found the resort to be more "swinger friendly" than "swinger nazi". we did not run into a single couple that was rude, indifferent or calculating based on our approach to this subject.

everyone there was very nice and my guess would be that less than 10 percent of the people there on our visit would fit into the rob labeled and much dreaded "swinger nazi" category.

while I am sure the overall lifestyle count (taking into account every single person whom has done something "other" or allowed their spouse to do something "other") is at least 75% at the resort (and anywhere else for that matter if truth be told:)) - its just not as in your face as one might think - people seem to care more about who you are than what they can get from you that way.

in fact, based upon our experiences at the temptations we actually saw greater quantities of "swinger nazis" at both temptation cancun and temptation los cabos than we did at desire.

swinger nazi fear 8 (no real fear of "swinger nazis" here)

"I want your sex"

again another perception we had of desire was the "three ring circus" sex that supposedly goes on. sex everywhere 24/7..........well, nothing could have been further from the truth. while there is sex here and you will probably see people at some point during your stay having sex (and sometimes in places/times it probably should not be :) oops lol) for the most part, it is at night... in places where you know it might be going on so if you like you can avoid those small well defined areas.

but let me be really clear on this... :)

there is very strong sexual and sensual side to the resort which will be obvious immediately - it is much more prevalent at this resort than the temptations and if you love your spouse and you want to have lots of sex - do not book anywhere else as this is the ideal spot for that type of fun adult sexual vacation.

this place is far more sensual and sexual than temptation - while the deal at temptation cancun (and to a much lesser extent temptation cabo) can sometime appear to be....drinking oneself into oblivion....the deal here is far more sexual fun than liquid fun - sure will you see a few people whom have had too much - absolutely!! but these are the exception to the norm..........again, you really can't compare the sexual vibe here with temptation

sexual energy 10

"breakfast at tiffanys"

i found the food (except for il piacere) to be only slightly better than the food at the temptation resorts we have been to. we ate at il piacere two of the four nights and both meals there were very good and we loved the fact that no reservations were required to eat there. the asian experience was acceptable but not spectacular, and the evening buffet was okay but not much in the way of selection

we ate the breakfast buffet each morning and the food there was fine but again the selection much smaller than at the temptation resorts we have been to. the lunch fare was much like the temptations - very adequate

the late night pizzas though were just the bomb - amazing pizzas so good that we would eat one every night (some nights two) regardless of how hungry we were just because they were that good!!!

all in all we do prefer the desire food over the temptation food for the most part with the possible exception being selection, especially in regards to the buffet (breakfast and dinner). temptation cancun is much larger and we both loved the large selections at both meals there and we both liked los cabos selections more as well

food 6

"whiskey river take my mind"

really no need to discuss this one as premium liquor is there for everyone to partake of but again this place is about much more than just drinking and so you rarely see stumbling fools intoxicated on cheap liquor except for t on her first night there (or any first night at any resort for that matter cause - as we all know - that is what t does on her first night :) lol )

drinks 7

"back to the hotel"

the rooms were nice but nothing extra special. we had an ocean view room but suspect that any room at this resort would be just fine. on tonya's birthday we were invited up to one of the passion suites as another couple there was celebrating a birthday on the same day and they had a passion suite - this was a very nice room and t and I are considering for our next trip there :).

the basic rooms here are maybe slightly better than what you would get at temptation so if you are thinking you are going to be blown away by the rooms you might be sadly mistaken - they are nice but nothing extra special and truth be known I probably would prefer the room in los cabos over the room at desire

room rating - 6

"everyday people"

we have all said it before and we will all say it again - its the people stupid! :) and so true we met some incredible people and from what I have heard and all those whom i spoke with they say that is the resorts single biggest draw - the lack of drama and the fact that they people who frequent here are so nice.

I have said that about temptation cancun and to a lesser degree temptation los cabos but this place blows them both away - truly amazing people and here is a picture of just two of them who we met on our first day there. we also met an incredible couple from michigan and a couple or two from london, ontario and a couple from new england and many more which i'm not sure it appropriate to mention names here so I will refrain out of respect:) ............but many of us attended a wedding and showed this great couple some love by taking wedding pics and i even did a video of their wedding for them. t and I hung out with this great couple all night long and watched the sunrise with them on the beach.

again no comparison here - while we have met some of our best friends at both the temptation locations..........temptation cancun can oftentimes be very clique driven and the people at temptation los cabos oftentimes appear to be very distant - the people at desire rm were far more mature, friendly, outgoing and fun

people 10

"games people play"

the staff there does a great job and the new addition of cesar augustus from desire los cabos is nice to see. we met cesar a few years back and spoke with him for quite some time while at desire about his ideas for the resort. he sat down with us and is very excited about some of the changes he is implementing. he will be bringing forth a new theme night schedule effective February of 2013 which will include a lingerie night (so glad about this) as well as a school girl night. desire is blessed to have him!! he is a great addition.

anyways the staff at the pool does a great job with all the games and such and the evening is awesome too as 90 percent of the great people we met during the day are there are night too as the resort does not promote outside events like temptation does. instead they have great entertainment each night of the week at the resort and every night the disco is open playing tunes til very late every night.

seems to be more day activities at the temptation resorts and more night activity at desire - if you are looking for someone else to make your trip by doing dog and pony tricks, jumping through hula hoops, and dangling carrots all day long then this many not be your place. however, if you are interested in appropriate "adult" entertainment that is not demeaning and mean spirited then this might be your place.

entertainment 7

"even flow"

the flow of our days there were as follows....and much like everyone else there..........which is really cool as everyone at the resort is on the same page most of the time. anyways we were in bed 2 of the four nights at around 2 am one night we stayed up all night and watched the sunrise and one night we went to bed at 9 we were generally up by around 8 or 9 for breakfast and then to the pool for most of the day for activities, great conversation, then lunch next to the pool and water volleyball shortly after. then usually up to the hot tub around four til time to eat around 7 or 8 and then to hotel lobby for entertainment then disco and then back to the hot tub late night.

another great thing about the flow was the fact that wherever you went there were towels so you did not have to worry about the dreaded "towel situation" at this resort. at the pool there were plenty of towels and the same applied to the hot tub and play room at the disco. towels towels everywhere towels

a great flow and a greater sense of community at this resort because of it. you really do not get much of that at temptation cancun because the resort is so large and people really do not stay there as much as people leave the resort and while temptation los cabos has a little more sense of community the flow there is still not as nice as desire

flow rida 10

"You must be playing with your own ding a ling"

okay first let me say that at every resort i have ever been to i have found something that i was not completely pleased or satisfied with and or about. as much as i loved the resort at los cabos it really ticked me to no end that the hot tub there was either way too hot or way too cold and rarely just right. as much as i loved the people we met at temptation cancun...the constant drama and jr high party vibe often stole the show.

several people had said "i would get used to all the oscars and/or be okay with them" trust me i was never okay with them and never got comfortable being around nude men. there is nothing homophobic about that. I simply just don't care to see them and never will but, i did not let this one dislike ruin my weekend vacation at this incredible resort. there were so many other great things about this place that my dislike for all the oscars flopping around was easily overlooked

I will say that i was very shocked that only about 50 percent of the women removed their bottoms while about 99 percent of the men removed theirs ( I was like the only guy in the pool with trunks on most days which was cool with me and nobody gave me any hassle with it except a few jokes here and there all meant in good fun:)) and just thought I would point that out to those considering the resort.

there is no way to compare the other two resorts (temptation los cabos and cancun) with this one on this matter as they are hands down better options for me as i rarely have a desire to show my oscar unless it is in a bed room at night with covers drawn over me....im just not "Oscar" friendly......i did want t's take on this though as she had no problem at all with it and was not offended with any of it nor did it keep her from being nude at times -

this is one where we disagreed but you know - I am married and sometimes its not about me :) its also about my incredible wife tonya :)

t's take on the Oscars was a perfect 10 lol
rob's take on the Oscars a big fat ZERO :(

"oh oh oh its magic...you know"

another truly positive side of the resort is the fact that the closest store is about a ten minute drive so people do not leave the resort like they do at the other places we have been. in fact, we only went off the resort one time during our stay and that was to see claudia with a touch of magic for a couples sensual massage. Claudia came highly recommended and anyone planning a trip to desire should consider her services - it was more than just a massage it was an experience.... we both highly recommend it

if you are looking for a resort to stay at while you leave the resort and do other things this is not the place for you - this is the type of resort where you stay your entire time at the resort save a trip to town to see Claudia of course :)

already making plans for our next trip :)
diamondheaded

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2013

Re: first timers - trip report december 13-17 2012

Postby Mystra » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Great trip report! We agree that the vibe at Desire is . . . more sensual somehow than Temptation (Cancun anyway). We weren't as interested in the "frat party" stuff as an erotic atmosphere - which Desire was better at for us.

D & K
Mystra
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 22 Sep 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Re: first timers - trip report december 13-17 2012

Postby CokeMann » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Rob - Thanks for the detailed TR and your perspective on the differences between Temptation and Desire
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya