January 24 - February 2 2013

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

January 24 - February 2 2013

Postby coolio » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm

This was our third trip and this time we decided to do 10 days (usually we go for a week and always don't want to leave).
This time the trip was very diferrent. It all boils down to what kind of people you meet. We were always lucky before. In the first 3-4 days it was great, but then people left and new arrived. This time the crowd was very laid back. People were just drinking and talking and talking and talking... The entertainment team had hard time to get people to do something - we were their salvation as we participated in all games and contests: some we wanted to and some we did just because we felt sorry for the guys, my husband went around the pool and helped the team to engage more people. At some point I actually wanted to go home!! The weather did not co-operate: last three days of our trip it was raining and very cold.

The menues in the restaurants have changed and not for the best. 90% of it is fish and seafood, which is not such a great idea these days in Mexico after that oil spill. I actually got very sick after eating a shrimp and the doctor was called in and I had to get a shot and medications.
The rooms are great, the staff is amaizing as usual, the grounds are beautiful and clean, but nothing helps if the crowd is not fun.
Me and my husband are not very young in age (mid 50-s) but very young in mind and we felt too young for the crowd around us. We still love Desire, but we probably will give a second chance to Hedo because we know that there is always lots of fun. By fun I do not mean only swinging and sex - we are not really swingers, but we will go with the flow if it is fun. By fun I mean doing crazy funny things. I think if you want just to swing and have sex only - it can be done in clubs, but to meet new people, to dance, to lough, to do crazy competitions, to eat pizza at 3 a.m. after all that and good sex under the the stars - this is what Desire means to me.
People may say - you must do your own fun. Well, we tried that too, but you kind of need other people too for that.
A word to the newbies: except of the technical things, don't ask how will you feel, because experience of one will be very different from yours. Just go and try and see. Not everytime you will enjoy though - THIS IS ALL ABOUT PEOPLE YOU MEET!
coolio
Desire Convert

Re: January 24 - February 2

Postby Coupleat302 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Wait.. Oil spill? Are you talking about the rig Deepwater Horizon that that sank 700 miles from Cancun back in 2010? Yeah, it's a big deal to those of us on the central gulf coast in the U.S. but I'll ASSURE you it's not a concern at Desire.

Heck, man.. I even go to New Orleans once a month on business and eat seafood like it's my job. ...I doubt the shrimp in the Yucatan had it in for you.
Coupleat302
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 27 Jun 2022

Postby coolio » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Coupleat302 wrote:Wait.. Oil spill? Are you talking about the rig Deepwater Horizon that that sank 700 miles from Cancun back in 2010? Yeah, it's a big deal to those of us on the central gulf coast in the U.S. but I'll ASSURE you it's not a concern at Desire.

Heck, man.. I even go to New Orleans once a month on business and eat seafood like it's my job. ...I doubt the shrimp in the Yucatan had it in for you.

Maybe not.. who knows
But that was the very minor part of my report. I think...
coolio
Desire Convert

Postby My_Dogs_White » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 pm

We were at Desire the during the same time period. Occupancy was only around 60% (maybe as high as 70% on the weekend and as low as 50% after people moved on) . Speaking to a number of different staff members the general consensus seems to be Pearl has definitely hurt RM's numbers. Word was Pearl was only at 30% during the same period.

We agree the resort did have a different feel from last year when we were there. Very little activity at the hot tub! As mentioned above the last two days it was rainy, windy and quite chilly. People were wearing jackets in the afternoon. It was too cold to be getting it on outside the hot tub. We planned on having lots of fun up at the hot tub just like we did the previous year but we're not the type to blaze the trail. Maybe if we had others would have joined but we chose to do the when in Rome thing instead. The sin room was very quiet also. I wouldn’t put words into other people mouth but our reason for staying away from there was simple. There was a small group in the room every night that put us off. Just not the type of people we want to see having sex. By see I’m not referring to body type. Just not people we personally wanted to have sex around. We mingled with a lot of people and there was plenty of swinging going on. I would venture to say most of the swinging was going on in the rooms.

Though PDA's were down from our experience last year and the occupancy was surely down from last year we had a great time and will definitely be returning. We meet many new people and laughed more in that week than we had in the previous 51 weeks combined. The food was really good (we ate the shrimp and found no oil???) and the staff were incredible as always. We found the participation in the events to be pretty good considering the occupancy really has taken a hit. The ladies did a fantastic job during the lingerie show. I wouldn't argue with the OP as everyone is entitled to their own opinion but aside from a very few, we found the crowed to be really fun and friendly.

In a perfect world we would have liked to have put the hot tub deck through the paces but having not done so definitely didn’t make our holiday a bad one. We’re counting down the days till next year.

Btw, we did hear of a male staff member that was let go (fired on the spot, good job Desire as there must be zero tolerance when it comes to this kind to behavior by staff) due to unwanted inappropriate conduct with a female guest and of a room safe being broke into. We don’t have first hand knowledge of either event so I do not have specifics in either case. At any rate assuming the second hand information is accurate it would be considered much larger issues than crowd participation in our opinion.
My_Dogs_White
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 26 Jan 2013

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya