Jan 13 - 20 Trip Report

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Jan 13 - 20 Trip Report

Postby nicenycpl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

First let me begin by saying that despite some of our negative comments about our recent trip that you are about to read; we still feel that Desire is the greatest place on this planet!

We booked our third trip to desire 358 days in advance (we made our reservations at checkout last year!) and even requested a specific room! I used the advance online check-in and confirmed our specific room request. When we arrived we breezed through the check-in process (no timeshare stop) and picked up the keys to our room (they honored our room request).

First major change since last year: NO MORE BRACELETS! Wasn’t sure how we felt about that, on one hand, this allowed for more discretion when leaving the resort (not an issue if you put it on your ankle); on the other hand it allowed non-desire guests (to wonder in off the beach and blend into the crowd at the pool. While we did see an increase in security guards at the beach entrance points, it was easy enough to slip by them. Come to think of it, I might use this to my advantage if I am ever on a vanilla trip to Cancun, we might slip in for a few hours and hang out at the hot tub… I believe the staff would recognize us and assume we are back and belong!

So after checking into our room, I went to call the front desk to activate the Wireless Access in my room (Second major change since last year), and realized that the phone in the room was broken. So I walked over to the lobby and let them know. The Wireless Access is a wonderful addition. The room was newly painted, new digital safe, new beds, headboards, and lighting, but still a woeful lack of storage space. Also we began to notice a funky odor in the bathroom, but just attributed that to the musty environment. This became more unbearable after the 3rd or 4th day, so I finally went to the lobby (phone still not working) and after some investigation by the maintenance staff, they told us that there was a busted sewer pipe, and to fix it we had to move out so they could break into the walls!! Well, the management stepped up and upgraded us to a Passion Suite! (why didn’t I complain sooner?!?!?!)

GRIPE #1 (not a major one) – I actually enjoyed seeing the terrific towel sculptures on the bed each day, apparently this is no longer done, and was noticeably missing.

AMMENITIES
The hot-tub was hopping and the guests at desire where true to form – friendly & fun. Third major change since last year – They upgraded the booze a bit to include Grey Goose as a vodka option in all the bars (but you have to ask for it). GRIPE #2 -They don’t stock mint for mojitos or premium mixers like redbull (or even a cheaper version) –kinda silly to have premium booze flowing for free, but make guests purchase mixers like redbull at the logo shop at 4 bucks a can.

Fourth major change since last year. Really nice new pool beds, and plenty of ‘em. The pool was still chilly. I believe that there was some talk about them heating it a while back?

FOOD
After the third night, we had tried out all of the dinner options at least once, so on the fourth night we began a second rotation through the restaurants. Gripe #3 – The food was as good as we remember it to be, but it was disappointing to see the exact same options on the menu and even more disappointing to be handed the exact same desert menu EVERY night regardless what restaurant you were at!
ACTIVITIES
The weather was LOUSY for the first 3 days of our trip, and the Entertainment Staff did a wonderful job of keeping the guests occupied. Luis “Sopranoâ€
nicenycpl on Kik
nicenycpl
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya

Postby njdesirecpl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Great news that they finally upgraded the vodka to Grey Goose. That should cut down on some hangovers. When we were there last April, I mentioned to our concierge Jorge that they didn't have mints for the mojito's. He came back the next day with a huge bag of fresh mint leaves. He would not let the bartenders share the leaves with anyone else. We got a chuckle from the fact that every had to ask our permission to use our mint leaves that week. Naturally, we tipped him accordingly for his above and beyond service.

T&S
njdesirecpl
Desire Devotee

How were bugs?

Postby randyandmissy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:35 pm

How were bugs during your week? We will be there in early February and are nervous about bugs. Our last trip in November was almost ruined by bug bites etc.
randyandmissy
Desire Fan

Postby Powderfinger » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:49 am

Wow, less than 50% capacity and very few Americans, definitely sounds out of the ordinary, kinda surprising......until ya think 'bout the economy....

Last year we were there end of January/beginning of February, as we are this year, and bugs really weren't an issue....in fact only one night did we even really see any, and in that instance it wasn't a ton of 'em.....
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby njdesirecpl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:04 pm

We always go in late April and never have had a problem with the bugs. It has been our experience that the resort sprays for mosquitos every night.

T&S
njdesirecpl
Desire Devotee

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya