DRM over labor day weekend, 2013

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

DRM over labor day weekend, 2013

Postby Miacpl30 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:49 pm

We returned to DRM for the third time this past labor day weekend as part of the Ynots group through Char Travel. This is actually our first ever trip report so here goes.

We flew out of Ft Lauderdale this time around because Spirit has incredibly cheap fares. Now we know why. It was our first and last Spirit Flight. Tickets for 2 were 800 with baggage and insurance compared to almost 600pp using American out of Miami. Felt like cattle. We got to Ftl on Thurs am and parked in the garage and then walked forever to the Spirit terminal where our luggage was 2 pounds over. After putting my wife’s cosmetics in her carry on we were good and got through security without incident. Arrived in Cancun on time around 1030 and made our way through immigration etc without any issues and met the CARM transportation folks. After waiting a bit for the other couple that was on our same bus we headed to DRM without trouble. Arrived and checked in and then headed to our Ocean View Jacuzzi room (1601) just steps from the beach bar. Very large and roomy.

Spent all Thursday at pool meeting new friends and having drinks etc. Sylvia and Daniel remembered us and took good care of us. Around 4pm we headed to the jacuzzi till around 7 when we showered and went to dinner at Suki. The first day is normally a wash out because its always fun getting used to vacation and leaving the high stress job in south florida. Needless to say we went to bed shortly after dinner.

Friday I woke up and had coffee in the lobby bar around 7, reserved some chairs by the pool and a beach bed then headed to breakfast with the wife. Food was great and no issues. Spent Thurs at the beach bed and the pool till lunch when our friends arrived. Met more friends and we all headed to jacuzzi around 4 again. Repeated dinner at Suki, this time as part of a large group at the main table. Sushi and the Salmon entree were excellent. Went to lobby bar for entertainment then to disco and then jacuzzi.

Saturday and sunday was more of the same. morning coffee, pool/beach, drinking, 4pm jacuzzi, dinner at suki, lobby bar, disco, late night jacuzzi. Deciding beach or pool as well as what to drink were the most difficult decisions of the day. Sunday however we did try the erotic couples massage at the spa which was the highlight of the trip. I posted about it elsewhere. Can't recommend it enough. i have never gone to claudia and I'm sure she does a nice job but i'm not crazy about wasting time leaving the resort etc. Ended up getting a second massage Monday before we left..this one a relaxation one.

Weather was excellent except it started raining on our way to the airport saturday. We did visit the vip airport club at the airport in terminal 3. I got in free through amex and paid 27 dollars for the wife.

Thanks to all the fun folks we met from all over the place including from here in South Florida, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia etc. Only thing I think they need improvement on is to have an espn college football package. Labor day kicked off college football and watching the games proved difficult. That would have been icing on the cake.

We were kinda lazy and sand gravity kept us from the ynots activities but the group was super fun and some great people. We are planning a return the first weekend in April for my 39th birthday from thurs to sunday.
SDC/Kasidie--miacpl30
Miacpl30
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 09 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sdc kasidie

Re: DRM over labor day weekend, 2013

Postby Lisa and Edward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Did it ever occur to you that it might be inconsiderate to others to concurrently reserve both a pool chair and a beach bed? And then to use neither while you're having breakfast?
Lisa and Edward

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 06 May 2017

Postby niksav » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Lisa and Edward wrote:Did it ever occur to you that it might be inconsiderate to others to concurrently reserve both a pool chair and a beach bed? And then to use neither while you're having breakfast? You may want to try studying economics to see how shortages are artificially created. Perhaps you have, and you just don't care.

To be fair to the thread starter, the occupancy levels were low for this period and there were plenty of beds both poolside and beachside. Maybe you should consider the circumstances before making unsubstantiated criticisms.
niksav
Desire Fan

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 23 Feb 2019

Postby Lisa and Edward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Consider the circumstances? If "the occupancy levels were low for this period", as you claim, then there would be no need to reserve a chair or bed in the first place. Right, Mr. Logic? I was at the resort during this period. The resort was officially sold out on Saturday and Sunday of this (USA) holiday weekend. The chair and beds may have appeared to be plentiful, but when they are reserved and unused, as must necessarily be the case when one reserves both a chair and a bed at the same time, then they are unavailable to others. Hence, my opinion that this practice is "inconsiderate".
Lisa and Edward

We arrive on: 06 May 2017

Postby niksav » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Well we were also at the resort for this period and in no way was it sold out...in our humble opinion that is. We have previously been at the resort when it has been much busier. Also, it is the responsibility of the hotel employees for managing the reservation of beds/chairs. We can discuss logic all you want but there were free beds available across the entire resort.
I do agree with you that it is inconsiderate to reserve two beds however, on this occasion, not a massive issue. We managed to get beds after 11am each day with no problems at all.
niksav
Desire Fan

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 23 Feb 2019

Postby pillagethevillage » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm

I always reserve a beach bed and then go to breakfast. It is not being inconsiderate but making good use of time. I do this while my wife is waking/getting ready, etc. Also, I did not see all of the beach beds taken during our Labor Day stay. Furthermore, I personally met the Miami couple and would not think of them as inconsiderate but very likable. I also like their divide and conquer idea on the beach bed/poor chair motive. Inconsiderate, in my opinion, is people that smoke in public places, like the lobby bar or Jacuzzi bar.

By the way, the YNOT end of summer blast was very fun. The group is low key but very friendly and respectful. I would recommend the YNOT's to anyone, from mild to wild...
pillagethevillage

Postby Miacpl30 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 pm

I frankly dont care if you think its inconsiderate. After breakfast and after my wife gets up we decide which to choose and give up the other one or tell the guy we will be back later etc. Moreover since we were with about 3 other couples we shared chairs (most of us in pool) on occasion so really used less than if all of us got chairs. I find the people that dont tip the staff regularly are the ones always complaining about shortages. Its amazing how when I fly in midday I always get pool chairs in the middle of the day :D
SDC/Kasidie--miacpl30
Miacpl30
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 09 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sdc kasidie

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya