1st time trip report, Oct 12-18, 2013

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

1st time trip report, Oct 12-18, 2013

Postby adamr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 am

We just finished our first (of many!!) trips to DRM and I want to share my thoughts and opinions about everything.

About us: We are both near 50 y.o. couple from CA. We are not lifestylers but are open to a lot of things. We met many people there, had lots of interesting conversations and truly had the time of our life!!!

USA Transfers: They were perfect! waiting for us at the airport and picked us up from DRM exactly on time. What fantastic service! Get the transfers!!

Arrival: We did the pre registration and sailed through check in. They moved us to the time share desk but we declined to discuss because we had a long travel day. We never ended up hearing the time share info because we were too busy being naked by the pool / beach with our friends. They were not too pushy about it and I may listen next time because I think we will be going there 1-2 times per year but then again I don't really like time shares (prepaid vacations).

Room: We had an Ocean View room on the ground floor (#2002). It was small. The only place to sit in the room is the bed but you really only go to the room for sleep / sex so when we go back I will opt for the smallest room. You can't see the ocean from the bed so I'm not even sure I'll get the ocean view room although it was very nice to be able to walk out and go straight to our beach beds!

Insects: I kept reading about bringing bug spray but never really saw any bugs. I think we had a few small bites but wasn't really a problem for us.

Food: VERY mediocre. Of course, we're not going there for the food but it seems like this is an area that could be improved a lot. POOL SIDE BUFFET: a great place to grab a snack. Chips, Pico and Guacamole were great! Everything else kinda so so. INDOOR BUFFET: everything was kind of bland tasting. How do they make tasteless bacon? SUKI: looks nice but never got around to eating there. NEW RESTAURANT: opened while we were there! We ate there with our new friends from Minnesota :). A VERY NICE TIME!! Wife might have had one to many tequilas :) . Food and presentation was better than anyplace else. Service was excellent. It kind of felt like to a really nice chain restaurant in the states.

POOL: A very social place to be. Lots of fun! Lots of games! Get involved! Meet some people and make some friends. I enjoyed every minute there and so did the wife! It was hard to leave there.

Beach / Beach Beds: They rake the beach and pick up all the sea weed every day!!! Wow! Glad I don't have that job! A very nice place to be but a little less social but the beds are much more comfortable than the loungers by the pool.

Rooftop Jacuzzi: Awesome! Get yourself up there! a nice place to be social during the late afternoon. The action gets a lot hotter after midnight!

Staff- Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Africa, CC, Carmen, Abraham, Yasmin, Belinda. Bring plenty of $1s and $5s. I came with $200 in small bills and next time I'll bring $400. The staff are just the best anywhere!

Deep Tissue Massage: Get one on the gazebo on the beach. It was heaven! so relaxing and amazing!

1st time nudity: I've always been comfortable in my own skin so it was not a big deal. I was naked at the bar talking to people 10 minutes after we left our room. Wife wore bottoms the whole week and looked great!! Go and be however you want to be and just enjoy the wonderful atmosphere of the people, the grounds, the sun and beach!

I'll add more as the memories return. Message me if you want more info about anything.

To the staff of DRM & Pearl (we visited Pearl one day)- You guys are the best ever!!! I teared up saying goodbye then Africa told me it's not goodbye it's see you later! WE LOVE YOU GUYS!

To all my new friends- J&M from IA, S&S from NJ, P&M from NM, R&L & C&H from MN, K&C, and everyone else. We love you and can't wait to see you all again!!!!!

Adam & Sandy
adamr
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 16 Apr 2014

Re: 1st time trip report, Oct 12-18, 2013

Postby miranda2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks for the great trip report!
miranda2
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 26 Sep 2018

Postby adamr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 am

WIFI: the wifi worked great all over the resort including on the beach beds. I read many times that the wifi was weak or non existent on the beach but that was not the case for me. I never logged onto the password protected wifi in the lobby. I was using my fairly new ipad mini. I ran a couple of speed tests and here was my result: ping: 13 ms, download: 4.6 mb, upload 4.3 mb.

I ran this speed test while on beach bed # 26. I ran the speed test and got a similar result at the pool. :D

Adam
adamr
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 16 Apr 2014

Postby Gemini Rose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Agree with pretty much all of the above! I am writing this from the lobby bar (hubby is napping, little too much to drink yesterday). Signal is great. We are in room 2112 ( cheapest category). Plenty of drawer space. Decent bathroom space. Could have had more hangers and I 'm sure they'd bring...if I asked.
We also used USA Transfers. Awesome service! Haven't had a massage or been to the beach beds. Not our first time to a Desire resort! We are mid 50's.
Gemini Rose and Cowboy
Gemini Rose
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 11 May 2019

Postby bikerider » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I agree it was the best ever! For us trip 7 and it keeps getting better, you guys were the best!
J&M Iowa
bikerider
Desire Convert

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya