Desire RM Trip Report July 23rd-29th, 2014

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Desire RM Trip Report July 23rd-29th, 2014

Postby tandainla1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Just returned from another fabulous vacation at Desire RM and can't wait to go back. We only wish that we lived closer so that we don't have to wait two years between trips. But as they say, absence can make the heart grow fonder. We read this forum frequently for months before each trip and value the trip reports so we wanted to share our experience. I'll break it down into categories that people seem to inquire about. And I apologize for they length but I guess there was a lot to share.

And a quick disclosure about us: We have been int he lifestyle for about 14 years. I'm bi and my hubby is straight. We are also nudists. This was our second trip to Desire RM and we go to Sea Mountain in Cali about 4 times a year. We've also been to a few other C/O (non-lifestyle) resorts over the years but never to Hedo.

1. Our room - Very happy with the renovations to our room (1802). They were simple touches like a new studded headboard surrounded by accent wall paper, new light fixtures and a small dresser (finally some drawer space) but it made the room a little more elegant. And our A/C worked great but I heard a few other rooms had some challenges which were all fixed the same day. The ground floor rooms in building 18 are probably our favorite because they have the largest bathrooms for a garden view room with a shower/tub and plenty of storage and counter space. The only downside is that the little gnats and a few roaches found there way in the room but housekeeping came quickly to take care of them each time. If management reads this post, I would highly suggest that they invest in some ultrasonic bug repellents that plug into the wall. We had these at a hotel in Costa Rica and couldn't believe how well they worked.

2. Entertainment / recreation staff - Jay (aka Rico) and Kayla ( who started about 4 weeks ago) were awesome and made a great effort getting the guests involved in the activities. They made an effort to learn guests names and made us all feel special and sexy. And might I add that Jay did an incredible strip tease show in the disco one night that gave Channing Tatum a run for his money. Coral on the other hand should find another job because she seemed to spend more time sitting and drinking on the lobby couch than interacting with guests. I'm guessing that the negative comments on this forum about the entertainment staff were probably because of their interaction (or lack of) with her.

We also went out on the smaller catamaran one day and had a great time. I can't remember the water sports' guy's name but he was so friendly and a great tour guide pointing out the hotel we told our family we were 'staying at' so we could take a few photos of it.

We made it to yoga with Lisa one day and she was probably one of the best yoga instructors that I've ever had. Plus you can beat the view of the ocean and beautiful people walking by. I just wish I woke up early enough to attend her class on the other days.

3. Food & beverage - We ate at Sahlo 3 times, Suki twice (Tepan one night and regular menu the other), and the buffet one night for the chef's choice. First, I would like to mention that I have a dairy intolerance and each restaurant was very helpful in ensuring that I had no problems and a few meals were prepared specially to accommodate. They even kept a carton of soy milk at the lobby bar for me so I could get a soy latte every morning and a soy white Russian after dinner.

Sahlo was wonderful each night. Because we are pretty much nude all day, it's a nice change of pace to dress up for dinner and have a leisurely meal with old and new friends. I loved the grouper and shrimp appetizer and the pasta with shrimp. A's favorite dishes were the mushroom bisque, Caesar salad, and the filet.

Coming from LA, the sushi at Suki is okay but really can't come close to anything that we're used to at home. However, the Thai salad had to be one of our favorite items on the menu and something that I would order again. The tepanyaki was much better than we remembered (more flavor and less soy sauce) and we had the best company (M&S from Luxemburg and M&H from New Orleans).

Not much to say about the dinner buffet except that the food was good. It just wasn't the ambiance of experience we prefer for dinner. The food on the lunch buffet is always good and I appreciated the option to order off a menu as well (love the shrimp ceviche).
Carlos is still my favorite bartender. He remembered my favorite drinks and would surprise me from time to time. Ellier who worked between the jacuzzi bar and the lobby bar came in a close second. He saw "a lot" us so to speak and always greeted us with a smile and was incredibly discreet about our jacuzzi fun. He has probably now seen it all. And, I greatly appreciated that he would would proactively hand us a glass of water in between the alcohol and fun to keep us hydrated.
4. Timeshare staff - We checked in at 6:30 so that staff was already gone for the day. However, it was very apparent that management listened to the complaints from earlier this month because they were not aggressive

5. Jacuzzi - we were at the jacuzzi every afternoon for "happy hour" and every evening after the disco. Sorry, won't go into to many details because we were a little pre-occupied with our friends and a little oblivious to our surroundings. For those of you that were there - you know what I'm talking about. Hehe.

6. We snuck away with M & S on Monday for zip lining, a cenote swim, and snorkeling with sea turtles at Akamul beach. It was an incredible day that made lasting memories. If anyone is interested in an excursion one day, we highly recommend a private tour with Edventure Tours. We had our own driver and guide for the day and never had to wait for others or be around kids (a must because this was our vacation while our kids were at camp).

And a special shout out to our friends that helped make our vacation so memorable:
- S & L - great seeing you guys again and wish we spent more time together but I'm sure we'll see you soon. :D
- M & S (our extra special friends from Luxemburg) - you made our trip incredible and we miss you guys so much already. :bj
- J & J from W. Virginia - Loved hanging out with you guys and glad we could help make your first trip memorable. Miss you already. :)
- J & P from Texas - Hope you guys make it out to Cali soon 8)
- M & H - our beautiful tattooed friends. You guys were so much fun and we will definitely let you know when we make it out to New Orleans. :P
- And I know I'm forgetting to mention a few others because there were so met so many great people on this trip (please forgive me) .
tandainla1
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 23 Jul 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, Kasidie, SDC

Re: Desire RM Trip Report July 23rd-29th, 2014

Postby tandainla1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Oops! Just realized that I forgot to include:

- N & E from Cali (sorry!) - we can't wait to hear how the rest of your trip was and see you in Cali for some wine tasting
- A & P and J & N from St. Louis - you guys were a blast and we had a great time hanging out with everyone.

As I said, that there were so many great people that we met on this trip.

And, I forgot to mention that the disco was packed our first 5 nights. We just couldn't wait to get up to the jacuzzi on our last night so we only stayed in the disco for about 30 minutes and it seemed like a lot of people followed within a short time until the jacuzzi was packed. However, the party didn't start in the disco until after 11 / 11:30 when the dancers did their performance. The DJ played the staple dance club hits but we noticed that he mixed it up a little each night (i.e. some disco on the neon night and the school girl night). If the dance floor started thinning out after a few songs from the same genre, he did a good job to bring in some current hits to get people going again.

There was some action int he playroom but we preferred to play at the jacuzzi under the stars. The jacuzzi area was so busy on Monday night that we had to wait for a bed to become available.

The live entertainment in the lobby area was good (not great, but good). It was a little more mellow and people didn't really start congregating there until after 10 but closer to 10:30. There were three nights that we opted for a late dinner and didn't finish until 10ish so that worked well for us. I think the average time we went to sleep was between 2:30 - 4 a.m. and we weren't the last to go to bed. :twisted:
tandainla1
Desire Fan

Postby yoyo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:37 pm

:L thanks for your info and report !
yoyo
Desire Addict

We are from: Mexico
Will be at: Desire Pearl
Swing Site(s) we belong to: none

Postby michelleandjay » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks for the awesome trip report!!! :D Could you please fill me in as to what resort you told your family you were going to? Our family's are watching our children while we go away on our first ever trip to DR. We can't wait! Thank you so much!!!
M & J
michelleandjay
Desire Convert

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 31 Jul 2015

Postby tandainla1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm

We tell our family that we stay at Secrets Silver sands because it's an adults - only all-inclusive (a little upscale too). That way nobody questions why we don't bring our kids :-) it's about a 15 minute walk down the beach from Desire RM if you need to take some alibi pictures.
tandainla1
Desire Fan

Postby col&sue » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 pm

we'd also decided to use the Secrets SIlver Sands as our cover for inquisitive family!

Great to read a positive first hand and recent report - seeing some mixed reviews on Tripadvisor recently.

Just over a week till we go and it can't come quick enough!

Sue & Col
Col and Sue
col&sue
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 23 Sep 2014

Postby Gemini Rose » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks so much for the great report! We can't wait to make a return trip to DRM September 6-13th. Hubby and I like to try and only use carry-on luggage. Can you verify that shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash are still provided in the room? Thanks!
Gemini Rose and Cowboy
Gemini Rose
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 11 May 2019

Postby 2FunLvrs » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks so much for the trip report. We're heading back soon and trying to catch up on the happenings at the resort. So glad you enjoyed your vacay!
2FunLvrs
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 12 Oct 2014

Postby tikihutguy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 pm

tandainla1 wrote:We tell our family that we stay at Secrets Silver sands because it's an adults - only all-inclusive (a little upscale too). That way nobody questions why we don't bring our kids :-) it's about a 15 minute walk down the beach from Desire RM if you need to take some alibi pictures.

We used to use Azul just north, but just used Secrets Silver Sands at our favorite local restaurant and manager said I love that place :roll: Fortunately conversation moved on quickly without many questions (while I was Googling it...) I think the best cover is actually Zoetry Al Paraiso - just north of Azul. It is a bit pricey, features room plunge pools etc. Most of our curious types not inclined toward that :shock:
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya