November 8-15, 2014

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

November 8-15, 2014

Postby ourfuntrip » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Just wanted to make some comments about our recent trip to RM. We have travelled here many times with the last being November 2013.

Changes from last year:

The road into the resort has been paved so once again the trip to/from the airport is smooth (last year it took us about an hour to get to/from the airport because of the road quality).

The swim up bar and new restaurant are amazing. This may be an expensive resort but they definitely put money back into the resort. I love the openness and high ceilings of the lunch area as it has a nice air flow through the area and does not smell like the food grill as the old area did (to me). As others mentioned, You can't see all of the action at the pool from all tables, but you can view the ocean on one side and the pool on the other. Sit in the middle if you are engaged in sexy conversation with friends :wink: It is nice to be able to go to the swim up bar in the pool and not make the trek out for drinks like before.

All of the restaurants are nice with our favorite being tepanyaki. Food is pretty good in all of them with the buffet being our least favorite. Staff and service were excellent at all restaurants.

The lunch buffet has been upgraded. They now have pots of food items on a warming bar with many side options and a printed list at the grill of options available. We liked most everything we ate. Service is even better than before if you can believe it.

Disco was tons of fun, evening entertainment was good (other than nights when they played really mellow music). Rooms are awesome, service outstanding as always. I love seeing all the same staff faces year after year. It really blows me away how friendly and good they are at what they do. How do they remember everyone and what they drink?

Foam party was fun during the day at the pool. I liked that you could choose to be in it deep or move to the side to get a break. If they have it when we are there in the future I will go.

My favorite thing to do is sit on the beach and enjoy the ocean. You can have shade on the bed or sit on a lounger in the sun. We had great weather with rain only one afternoon at hot tub happy hour.

The Negatives:

Bugs. I posted about it elsewhere on the forum, but I was covered with bites on day two. We were with a group and many people had bites with several getting bitten with bad reactions like mine. They itched like crazy and lotion did not seem to help me. I am still itching at some and hoping they will heal since we are home. I think this is something that needs to be addressed. :cry:

The EC's are not as enthusiastic as I remember them. They were at the pool leading activities during the day but most did not make an effort to drum up excitement or interact with guests. We did not spend a ton of time at the pool, but that was my overall impression.

This trip was with the Life on the Swingset group. It was an excellent group of people who are all super friendly. It is so amazing to me to have friends from all over the US and beyond because of Desire. We love RM and had an amazing trip as always. We were very impressed with the upgrades made. We can't wait to plan our next trip! :D
ourfuntrip
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 14 Oct 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie LL

Re: November 8-15, 2014

Postby newbies2012 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 pm

We were there for part of the same week as part of the group too. Everyone in the group was great! We made some great new friends and were able to see friends we met on a previous summer trip to Desire. It was so much fun and already has us looking forward to a return trip!
Newbies2013 on Kasidie
newbies2012
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 19 Jun 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby nologic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Is this high bug season, because I just have not been to many Carribbean destinations or even Cancun destinations in Dec-prime season and had a big problem. I presume they can't spray, or they would?
nologic
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 21 Sep 2015

Postby miranda2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm

We were there the same dates as you and you wrote pretty much everything we would write. They did fog for the bugs but I think it was a bit too late for some of you who had gotten the bites. Yes! They are itchy!! And last for a long time - or maybe it just seems like a long time because they are so annoying.

We agree, too, with what you said about the entertainment / pool staff. They speak a lot of spanish, they aren't as friendly and outgoing as the previous team - we like to spend time on the beach and they rarely ventured out to visit anyone out there.

Jay is a bully, but that's just my humble opinion. We don't speak spanish but we could tell by the look on his face and his tone of voice when talking about his fellow entertainment staff - making fun of them in a mean way.

The girls on the entertainment staff, again, just my opinion, are there for eye candy only. They don't announce most of the activities, they are difficult to find most times, there seems to be a lot of lulls in between activities and they really didn't go out of their way to engage a lot of the patrons. They did walk around topless and wiggle their butts a lot, though.

Alex - such a sweet guy, friendly, kind and respectful. I don't think he will be around much longer though.

This trip had the most different vibe we have ever experienced. Much more sedate and not as much 'play' as we have experienced in any of our previous visits.

We, of course, had a great time no matter what.

Just have to say, though, that we were a little disappointed in some of the patrons in the playroom. If you want to talk and carry on a conversation or talk about smelly feet or offer someone some water (all in your normal, outside voice) can you please take it somewhere else?? Just cuz YOU'RE done, doesn't mean the rest of us are and it can be a real mood killer.
miranda2
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 26 Sep 2018

Postby newbies2012 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 am

We noticed some tension with the female entertainment staff during one of the volley ball games in the pool. It was a bit awkward. Maybe they were having a bad day or just getting burned out. I suppose it could get old day after day. One of the staff we were talking with said they usually last a year or so before burning out. We still had fun though!!!
Newbies2013 on Kasidie
newbies2012
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 19 Jun 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby surreymojo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:34 pm

We were there the same week as you Miranda2 (4th Nov- 9th Nov)..shame we missed you :-)..we also noticed the lack of 'play' activity at the resort that week too. We're used to European resorts (Cap 'D'adge in particular) and was surprised at how tame everyone was. We desperately wanted to start by the pool on the loungers but given that nearly half of the guests remained in their swimsuits it kind of killed the ambience. At Cap its a complete free for all especially at the Jarden de hotels. We did make some lovely new friends and got to play in the evening but you still can't beat sex under the sun with likeminded peeps joining whether it be in the pool or on the cabanas/lonungers.
surreymojo

We arrive on: 02 Nov 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Sunlovers17 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Very accurate report and agree with your comments especially the entertainment staff - still on resort now (our 10th trip) and never experienced such poor enthusiasm, participation, or even turning up for games etc. This afternoon, apart from Alex not
one activity happened and no other staff were anywhere to be found. Management need to address this issue. Apart from that everything else and staff just as excellent as ever.
Sunlovers17

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 08 Dec 2014

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya