Newbie Trip Report: April 24-30, 2015

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Newbie Trip Report: April 24-30, 2015

Postby AJSquared » Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 am

About us
We are in our 30's, married, and not in the lifestyle. The wife wanted to go on a C/O vacation; we did some research and decided on DRM because it was couples only but still looked like a lot of fun.

We've never been to a C/O resort or beach before, so this was a new experience for us.

Travel
We arrived in Cancun around 2:00 PM on Friday, April 24... after getting less than two hours of sleep the night before. Customs was relatively painless and Aventour was waiting for us outside of the airport right on schedule. (We booked Aventour through the resort.)

Arrival
We pulled in through the gate and immediately saw a crocodile on a rock! The wife said "Oh, that's funny, they have fake crocodiles. That's such a touristy gimmick." (Later, we learned that they are actually real, which was hilarious.)

As we get out of the cab, we noticed foam flying over of the top of the resort. Looks like we just missed the foam party. D'oh.

Our room wasn't ready yet, so we went and ate at the pool buffet... and naked people everywhere! We felt a bit out of place because we were so tired and still fully clothed.

Some advice: pack your swimsuit / pool stuff in a separate bag so you can just go straight to the pool when you arrive!

We got a coupon book for agreeing to sit through the timeshare presentation and then our room was ready.

The Room
We stayed in 2412, the cheapest garden view room they had. It was really small, but clean and serviceable. Not shabby.

Day 1: Sin Room
We went to for dinner at El Arrecife after unpacking and showering. The food that night was unimpressive (I'm vegetarian and they had mislabeled eggplant and the calamari... heh.)

We went back to our room and changed for the theme night (Erotic Circus). The wife wore stunning red lingerie, I was wearing a red button down shirt and pants. The show was pretty impressive at the lobby bar; we drank a few drinks and enjoyed the show, then headed to the disco.

After some fun drinking and dancing at the disco, we decided to try and find out where the Sin Room was located. We wandered around out on to the smoking balcony, then to the bathroom, then finally wandered in to the room just past the bar.

Several couples were already going at it, and there was a spot open conveniently right next to the door... so we decided to partake in the festivities, as they say. It was a thrill and one of the most exciting and memorable moments of our trip!

Day 2: Foam Party
We finally got some sleep on Friday night and then decided to use our free day passes from the coupon book to go check out the foam party at Pearl.

We were both struck by how much nicer Pearl was than DRM. The pool is twice the size, the jacuzzi is huge, and the beach is nicer. We relaxed by the pool for a few hours (I was naked, wife was topless) until the foam party started.

It was very fun and totally worth the trip. The wife ended up inhaling some foam, which made her cough for a good while. I had her up on my shoulders for a long time and I ended up getting a lot of foam in my eyes, but we had a blast.

Afterwards, we went up to the jacuzzi while the pool party was still winding down. We saw one other couple enjoying each other on a jacuzzi bed, so we decided to hop on a bed across the pool from them and have some fun. :bj Again, quite a thrill and was super sexy.

We drank a few drinks at the hot tub and then took the cab back to DRM.

At DRM, we decided to check out the hot tub before dinner. We met some really nice people, including two couples that we really enjoyed hanging out with (E & K and J & T). The hot tub was packed but everyone was having a great time.

J & T invited us out on the catamaran snorkeling trip the following day with E & K, and we agreed.

That night, we ate dinner at the buffet area next to the pool because El Arrecife was still under construction. The wife dressed up in one of her sexiest outfits for the theme night (Masquerade Ball) and ended up getting called up on stage for the lingerie show! She went up there and had the entire resort drooling over her. :)

We went to the disco and danced for awhile, met some more really nice people on the smoking lounge and talked with them for basically the entire evening.

Day 3: Catamaran of Doom
We awoke on Sunday and met the sales people for the timeshare presentation. It was annoying ($50,000, really?!) but it was worth it for the coupons.

At noon, we hopped in the taxi with the two other couples and went to Desire Pearl (we stopped on the way for some anti-nausea meds since both of us were a little hung over.)

The ocean was really rough. Immediately after we set out, waves were splashing over the front of the boat, and I started to feel nauseous. Eventually, everyone was basically not talking to each other because we were all trying to not throw up...

After what seemed like an eternity (but was actually only a couple hours) we arrived at the snorkeling spot and finally got to jump in the water. Snorkeling naked was great and we saw lots of beautiful fish and coral... if you go, just be sure to go out when it's calm!

On the way back, the waves were better and so the party started getting going a bit better. Tequila shots started happening and by the end of the trip we were all having a good time.

We had dinner at Sahlo, and it was very good. A definite step up from the buffets that we had been eating –- highly recommended.

That night, while getting ready for the disco, the wife found a scorpion under the bench at the end of the bed! I didn't believe her (stupid me) and when I saw it I screamed (wife edit: like a little girl!) in surprise. She grabbed a coffee mug and trapped the scorpion under it. The front desk was summoned and the problem was handled; but I don't think my wife is going to ever let me live down that scream.

Also of note: scorpions in the Yucatan are not lethal (we didn't know that at the time, though.) Getting stung would have sucked but it wouldn't have killed us.

Later, we had fun with the Desire University theme. The wife wore some super sexy schoolgirl stuff and we met all sorts of great people on the smoking balcony. I really can't stress how much fun these people were -- it was a blast.

Day 4: Beach
On Monday, we spent the entire day just laying on a beach bed. It was nice to finally be able to relax (given our adventures on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Drinking all day, lunch at the buffet, and just pure relaxation. Great times.

We tried to have dinner at Suki, but it was closed, so we ate at the buffet.

After drinking a lot of gin and tonic, we decided to skip the disco and instead just go to the jacuzzi after dinner. We hung out there for several hours, drank way too much, and met some great people.

When our friends from the cruise stopped in with a bottle of Hershey's chocolate, it got a little crazy. Initially it was fun and harmless, but eventually it got a bit out of hand... and we (truthfully, it was mostly me) were drunk, so we had some miscommunication around what was OK and what wasn't... and some feelings got hurt.

Day 5: Hangovers and Anything But Clothes
I spent the morning laying by the pool, hung over. The wife eventually stumbled down around noon and we relaxed by the pool, using some "hair of the dog" to make us both feel better. There were a ton of floats in the pool for the pool party, which was pretty fun when we were finally feeling better.

We went out to eat at Suki and really enjoyed it.

For ABC night, the wife wore a dress that looked like a credit card and I was wearing nothing except for a thong with a "snake" on the front to hold my private bits. I originally was scared to wear this, but the wife challenged me to do it, and so I did... and it was hilarious to watch me get most of the attention from people that night! I got a ton of compliments and had a great time.

This was probably the most fun that we had at the disco... lots of dancing, lots of fun conversation on the smoking lounge. I feel that because I went all-out for theme night that I ended up meeting a ton of people, and it was so much fun.

Day 6: Beach II and an adventure to Secrets
We got a beach bed and spent most of the day enjoying each other's company relaxing on the beach. We had told friends and family that we were staying at Secrets, so we decided it would be wise to go and take some photos of Secrets in case someone asked.

Unfortunately, we left around 4:00, and there is a resort being built next door between Secrets and DRM. I decided to not bring any identification or money, but only brought my phone.

Suffice to say: DO NOT DO THIS.

The "beach" in front of the next door resort is completely unmaintained. We summoned our inner Bear Grylls as we trekked through the jungle of garbage and weeds. The entire time, the construction workers at the resort were cat-calling my beautiful wife.

A grueling hour later, we arrived at Secrets. We took some quick photos of the place and quickly realized that we didn't want to walk back through the jungle... but because we didn't bring any money or ID, we figured it would be difficult or impossible to get back safely to the resort.

(By the way, after experiencing Desire... Secrets Silversands looked absolutely lame as hell. I highly doubt we're going to go on a "normal" beach vacation in the future.)

Afterwards, we went out to eat at Sahlo one last time. It was great, as usual.

The theme that night was supposed to be a surprise... and it was a glow party! So our friends brought out their glow sticks and I wore my only bright clothes: my orange/grey underwear and a ripped A-frame undershirt. The wife wore a bright green torn dress and looked stunning as usual.

We met up with our friends J & T and spent the entire evening with them. I know that we're going to stay in touch with them going forward.

Day 7: Massage and Out
We booked a relaxing massage for our final morning (it was $60 for two of us -- a steal). Neither of us had ever had a professional massage before... and it was fantastic.

During the massage, we heard a woman in a nearby room having a full-on screaming orgasm (think of the scene in When Harry met Sally). Even though we loved our massage, it certainly made my wife second guess our choice of the basic package! :lol:

We left the resort at 12:30, super relaxed, and smiling thinking about what a great trip we had. We met so many great people and ended up with two friends that we will be seeing again.

We'll definitely be going back to Desire, but I think next time we'll want to check out Pearl to see if we enjoy the nicer facilities and more relaxing atmosphere better.
AJSquared

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 24 Apr 2015

Re: Newbie Trip Report: April 24-30, 2015

Postby Beachside » Sun May 17, 2015 12:30 am

Very nice and entertaining report.
"Captain Ron and Clarise" will be visiting the world!
Beachside
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 13 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS and Kasidie

Postby miranda2 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:39 am

Sounds like you jumped in with both feet and had a great time. Just a little curious about your trek off the resort to Secrets. Not sure what you mean about a jungle. Many times we have walked to and from Desire RM and Pearl and haven't had any issues. Oh, and the cat calls from the construction workers? Seems it's a world wide thing. Last trip I gave them a flash (or two or three) and hubby took pics. It was pretty funny. Thanks for the great trip report. Maybe one day we'll meet you at Pearl. :D
miranda2
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 26 Sep 2018

Postby Travelcouple89 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:00 pm

:L Great trip report! Sounds like you did an excellent job of surviving a few of the Newbie Pit Falls, i.e. over drinking, killer hangovers, and boundary miscommunications. Well done, so,mare you planning your nextntripnyet? :wink:
Travelcouple89
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 0- 0-2012

Postby AJSquared » Sun May 17, 2015 7:01 pm

miranda2 wrote:Sounds like you jumped in with both feet and had a great time. Just a little curious about your trek off the resort to Secrets. Not sure what you mean about a jungle. Many times we have walked to and from Desire RM and Pearl and haven't had any issues. Oh, and the cat calls from the construction workers? Seems it's a world wide thing. Last trip I gave them a flash (or two or three) and hubby took pics. It was pretty funny. Thanks for the great trip report. Maybe one day we'll meet you at Pearl. :D

Maybe we went at a bad time.. high tide or something. The water was so high that we had to travel on the grass right next to the fence, which was covered in garbage and weeds.
AJSquared

Postby AJSquared » Sun May 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Travelcouple89 wrote::L Great trip report! Sounds like you did an excellent job of surviving a few of the Newbie Pit Falls, i.e. over drinking, killer hangovers, and boundary miscommunications. Well done, so,mare you planning your nextntripnyet? :wink:

Heh, yeah. Was great.

We want to go to Pearl next time; and we want to go back right away. My guess is that it will be next year given work/financial/other constraints.
AJSquared

Postby TnBS » Sun May 17, 2015 10:50 pm

AJSquared wrote:About us
We are in our 30's, married, and not in the lifestyle. The wife wanted to go on a C/O vacation; we did some research and decided on DRM because it was couples only but still looked like a lot of fun.

We got a coupon book for agreeing to sit through the timeshare presentation and then our room was ready.

Do you remember what all coupons were included in the book? wondering if its worth it to sit through the speech.
TnBS
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 04 Aug 1915
Swing Site(s) we belong to: None

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya