Not your typical trip ! June 13th thru 21st, 2009

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Not your typical trip ! June 13th thru 21st, 2009

Postby tout.prest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Well, we have been home now for almost 2 weeks and we are finally getting a chance to sit down and write about our most recent experience at Desire RM from June 13 thru June 21st. Its a little long and for that I apologize up front.

First off, we would have to say that this trip didn't measure up to our, admittedly high, expectations. We were unfortunate victims of the swine flu scare and we were forced to cancel our May 1st trip only 24 hours prior to departure. It wasnt that we wanted to, but that air canada forced us to, by cancelling all flights to Cancun. Our trip was altered 3 more times b4 we actually arrived and with all the uncertainty, the changes to our work schedules, the changes to our kids schedules and the associated babysitting needs, it took its toll on us as we were having a hard time getting excited for the trip. :(

In the end, our flights were perfect and we arrived from Toronto in less than 4 hours. We heard many stories through the week about the travel nightmares that many from the C4P group had in getting through Dallas, so we know we are fortunate to have direct flights from our homebase. On arrival to CUN, we first noticed that the aiport was very empty, still reeling from the effects of the swine flu scare. We had our temparature taken by medical personnel and were off to immigration and baggage claim. Our bags were ready and waiting and then it was off to customs, where we got the "green light :wink: " this year. After speeding through all of this we walked outside the terminal (After bypassing the timeshare sharks), to find our Transbeach Rep waiting for us. 5 Minutes later and were on our way to paradise. It simply couldnt have gone smoother ! Total time through the airport was less than 25 minutes.

After a short 15 minute drive, we arrived to Desire to have Arcos give us a warm and friendly welcome. The check in staff was genuinely happy to see us and thanked us for coming. We discussed a little about swine flu and the effects on the resort. They said the 1st week of May was tough but not 1 staff member had been laid off by management.The occupancy level was coming back every day and the week of our visit was to be about 80% (This is in comparison to wide spread lay offs and closures at other resorts and occupancy levels hovering about 20% if they were lucky!) Desire seems to have come thru the issues very well, no doubt in part due to their special "niche" in the marketplace, and the excellent team they have working there.

Although we were 3 hours early on arrival, our room was ready in one of our requested blocks - #19. The room was incredibly clean, with a king sized bed ( a must for us!) and was very close to the lobby bar which is where the Wi-Fi signal comes from so great connection speed. The a/c was on full blast the entire week trying to compensate for the oppressive heat (well into the 40 degree celcius range on a few days) and it did as much as could be expected. The only drawback to 19 block that we could find is that, because it is adjacent to the lobby bar. It can be quite noisy at times, but this is a trade off that we were gladly willing to accept.The pros easily outweighed the cons.

The beach was in very nice shape, always being raked and maintained. We did, however, this year, find there to be alot of rocks in the water that made for delicate ingress and egress from the ocean. Several jelly fish were spotted in the water while we there, and one of our friends was stung by one while we were all standing in the ocean talking. It was minor and he was fine, but was a little disconcerting nonetheless. A big Kudos to Rene, the beach concierge, who always found us a great beachbed to rest in. We had considered just paying for a beachbed and avoiding any hassle, but we decided against it and were thrilled with the results. A special mention needs to go to Africa, the beach drink service attendant. She was ALWAYS on top of things and had a smile on her face. When I wasnt feeling well (more on this later) Africa repeatedly went out of her way to bring me Hot cammomile tea. She was the BEST !!! As stated earlier, the vanilla resorts were near empty, so gawkers walking the beach were not a concern. We always get a chuckle from the boats that slow their engines as they go by the beach and proceed as normal once they are clear of it.

We did not spend much time at the pool this trip and therefore cannot give an accurate assessment to the entertainment staff. The disco was playing a better selection of music most nights, but the disco itself was too hot and nobody stayed in it much beyond any shows. We understand that it was very hot the week we were there, but I would think that proper a/c in the club should be a priority. We have to give a mention to Edgar the disco Bartender. He was so nice to us and always remembered what my wife was drinking. I tipped him well and was happy to do it !! The playroom was so hot ( and not in a good way) that it was unenjoyable. As for the theme nights, without question the "eyes wide shut" on wednesday night was the most anticipated and well attended. I agree with Omahas report (on this forum) on the evening,but honestly, we found it to be overcrowded (you couldnt see anything if you werent in the front row) and over so quickly (10 - 15 minutes tops) that we got very little out of it. The moment the show was over, it was just any other night and nobody stayed in costume. Jerry did such a great job of outlining the evening that I won't bother going over it again. My summary of it is that, although it was interesting, I wouldnt go out of my way again to see it.

Now for the food. Overall, it was quite dissappointing. Last May, the food was a pleasure to experience most every night. This year it was just average at best. On our 3rd night while eating at the white restaurant, I had a pasta dish from the special menu, that in less than an hour was making me violently ill. In all my 38 years, I have never once gotten sick while travelling, but this was the exception ! I was basically out of commision,with food poisoning, for the next 4 days. Despite my best efforts to get involved and power through it anyway, I could only do so much. As my wife (who had to put up with me ,and my other unfortunate issues all week) so accurately put it... "its hard to look your sexiest, when you look like your gonna hurl !"

Prior to arriving at the resort, I had been emailing Mia and other members of the staff to alert them that I had recently been told of a severe nut allergy that I had just developed within the last year. It is severe enough that I have to keep epi-Pens close by. Mia worked with me as best she could and tried to come up with a plan to handle the issue, as Desire does not have an official policy to deal with Nut or Seafood allergens of any kind. I know she tried hard, but on MANY occasions , the plan didn't work out and our second to final night almost had me taking a trip to the hospital, because of an error by the wait staff. I know this is not a problem for 99% of the people reading this, so I wont go into great detail about what happened (feel free to ask me by PM if you are curious), but everyone should understand this is a problem that truly needs to be addressed by management, not only for the safety of the guests, but for the safety of the resort itself.(Considering how easily they could be sued) I have emailed the management with some proven methods, from other resorts, that could be EASILY adopted by Desire without any discernable cost, but have yet to hear back from them about it.

Now for the last of the Downers........I promise. There has been many a discussion on this forum about "what happens if you run into someone you know ". Well..... I can now speak from experience on the topic because on our 5th day, while laying on my beach bed enjoying my cup of camomile tea (To sooth my stomach) and trying to make the best of things, I heard a familiar voice walk by and use the outdoor shower adjacent to our bed. HOLY SHIT :!: :!: :!: It was a former employee of mine, who now works for the main client of my own company,who also happens to know my family,and has a very big mouth to boot ! It was the Tri-Fecta of bad people to run into ! I have learned that it is one thing to talk about what you would do in theory, but reality is different. This is the one person that I could not afford, on so many levels, to have see me at Desire. Therefore, we and our new group of friends (whom I might add , found this scenario, terribly amusing) spent the next several days on "lookout" for her. This meant tracking where she went for dinner, where she spent her days, and most importantly, when she was and wasnt at the jacuzzi or the disco.Talk about a mood killer ! On our last night, we had to call it early because she seemed to be everywhere and I almost ran into her several times. We got away with it this time, but I would wish this part of our trip on nobody ! I will be making sure of her vacation schedule before we leave next year.

Our time at Desire was not quite what we anticipated this year. We have almost nothing bad to say about the resort(other than the obvious food issues) or the people who work there. The staff was excellent as always. Rene, Africa,Fidel,Edgar,Heyden,C.C, Memo, Valenti (Daniel), Mia, Leo,Arcos,Yanet, and others always are there to make your stay just that much better. We tipped them all throughout the week happily,but I think the service level would be amazing no matter what.
We clearly understand that the problems that we encountered, were "ours" and only "ours" (so please dont read into any of this that i am Bashing Desire). We seemed to be a bit of a victim of bad timing and unfortunate circumstance,this year. We were not able to develop the relationships we wanted to and socialize in a way that was more normal for us. That was the hardest part I think........knowing that we were in paradise and not able to enjoy it to the fullest.

We truly love Desire and cant wait to get back ASAP. Nothing that happened is nearly enough to keep us away, we just learned that we need to adapt to a few unforseen scenarios next time. We are already rebooked for next May 1, 2010. and cant wait :D !! To those of you headed down soon, we are jealous !

If anyone has any questions,please feel free to ask.

Steve (& Nancy)
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby miranda » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an informative report.

Did you prebook your Transbeach shuttle before you left Canada? How much was the ride?
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby tout.prest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Miranda,

Transbeach is booked directly with Desire when booking your trip. The cost was $80.00USD+ tip for the return trip.

This is for a private non-stop shuttle. Their is no waiting for others at the airport and you do not stop at other resorts on the way to Desire.

The really nice part is that, because they are the "official" shuttle for the resort, it is in their best interest to make sure they do the job right.

We will use them every time from now on. They were way better than the other choices that we know of.

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby mistral » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 am

We agree with you that Air Canada's re-booking made a difference in our preparation's excitement level. We too had trouble re-scheduling, mainly because of baby-sitters. The result is that we got there totally in the wrong mood, and it took us 3 days getting in Desire mode, which was fine, we slept on the beach beds. But in the end, we had a great time, met some wonderful people, and really enjoyed our trip.

My husband was stung by a jelly-fish as well, right on his butt! It's a bit scary to think that I was in the water with him every time, so it could have been either of us, on any part of the body... There was one jelly-fish that came to die right by our beach bed, so we joke that my husband intoxicated it with alcohol when he got stung!

For us the food was the same as last year, not better, not worse. We are basically vegetarians so variety is always an issue. We do eat fish, so we ate that greasy white fish at almost every meal. It's ok the first few times, but it does get boring.

We were also in the 19 building (maybe we got your room when you guys left!), and also found it a bit loud at night. I brought ear plugs, which I used every night, and my husband was so exhausted by the time we went to bed (late) that the noise didn't bother him. We liked being close to everything, especially our amazing morning coffee at the lobby bar! And we even got a view of the ocean from our balcony, what a treat!
mistral
Desire Convert

Postby Omahacouple » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:27 am

Wonderful report Steve (and Nancy). I would much rather see an honest, unfiltered report than one that is nothing but positive or negative. It's amazing how - in the great big world - that you would run into someone you knew at Desire.

Hopefully your next trip will be better than this trip!

Jerry
Omahacouple
Desire Devotee

Postby tout.prest » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Omahacouple wrote: It's amazing how - in the great big world - that you would run into someone you knew at Desire.

Ain't that the truth !! Although "amazing" wasn't exactly the word I was using when we were there. "freakin' Unbelievable" was more like it. lol :wink:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

Postby miranda » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm

And what, pray tell, was SHE doing there? LOL!
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby 2batdesire » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:26 pm

This happened to us a few years ago, it was a man that I worked with in projects for a international charity. I didn't have a chance to avoid him, simply because I was in one of the "conga lina chains" in one of the games they play around the pool, and we literally "snaked" by the table he was sitting at! I can still recall him smiling as I danced by in the line......!

We ended up resolving the delimma by agreeing to "I won't put you in my trip report if you don't put me in yours."

It seemed to have worked, and we were even able to be cordial/friendly to them for the rest of the trip.
2batdesire
Desire Lover

Postby oldseadog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:29 am

We have a serious shellfish and crustacean allergy. We always let the resort know about it a few days in advance and so far they have always coped with the problem.
oldseadog
Desire Addict

We are from: UK

Postby NebraskaCouple » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:25 am

Its one thing to go on an awesome, erotic, vacation and have the time of your life and during that trip, run into someone you know. That just might be "worth it".

Its a totally different story to get your travel plans changed several times by the government, then get food poisoning, then almost die of a peanut alergy, and while fighting off a vomit, run into someone you know.

We are glad you were able to come out of that one without being "outed". You might want to get her new employer to award her as employee of the year next year and make sure she has a 5-night vacation in Vegas as her reward, that is conspicuously around the same time as your Desire week.
NebraskaCouple
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya