Trip Report Oct 14-20, 2016

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Trip Report Oct 14-20, 2016

Postby Play_Dough » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:54 pm

I enjoy reading the trip reports from everyone so I thought I better contribute as well. We recently returned from our 8th trip Oct. 14-20th. We arrived into Cancun with hot weather and cold beers waiting at the airport. We quickly left the airport after getting through customs and arrived to the resort to a warm welcome. We did the online check-in 2 weeks prior to our trip which made check-in very quick. I always give a list of preferred rooms and we were given one that was on the list. We prefer staying close to the pool so in our list was block 10. This was our first time ground floor in that building and I loved it. It’s so convenient to go to the room and also close to all the restaurants. I will definitely be requesting this building from now on.

We love this resort but have noticed that the food quality has deteriorated over the years. We found breakfast to not be very good this trip (exception is the Omelete lady, those are always good). The buffet selections did not appear appealing at all. One day they had what looked to be cut up hot dogs instead of breakfast sausages. There weren’t any waffles, pancakes or French toast. A couple of days I noticed a waffle maker at the grill so I asked for waffles when it was there. Lunches were basically the same items every day. Sometimes it was really good and sometimes just so so. I love their mashed potatoes and only saw it once during the 6 days we were there. Sahlo was hit or miss. One day the pasta was very good so we ordered it the next day and it was not good at all. One night my husband ordered the steak from the pay menu, which is something he does every trip and he said it was not good at all, very fatty for tenderloin. We actually heard this comment from another guest as well so at least we know it wasn’t just ours. We only made it to the buffet for supper one night which was oriental night. That was pretty good. They did sushi to order and made fried rice on the grill with whatever you wanted in the rice. We did Suki for sushi one night and the grill one night, both nights were good.

A big improvement this trip was the entertainment staff. The days of Vanessa, Diane, etc were fun and once they left, it seemed like they struggled to find decent staff. But this trip the staff were fun and out going. They seemed engaged with everyone. J J was hilarious! I think he was from Temptations and also another guy (David I think). I was actually hoping that some of the EC staff from there would come and lighten up this place. We were with friends that frequent Temptations and they said that the staff were actually a bit reserved compared to there. I would love to see how crazy they could get because they were super funny. Anyways, we had heard that there were a couple of complaints about them for inappropriate comments. All I say, if you go to a swinger resort and get offended easily, perhaps this is not the place for you. There is a nudist resort just down the way where I am sure the music is quieter and bingo is being played. Go there and let the open minded people have some fun with the good music and entertaining staff!

The evening entertainment is not what it used to be. One night a band playing and we got there early to get a good seat. We were there for sound check and I asked my husband why they were playing the actual music for sound check. Well during their performance, it became apparent that they weren’t really singing. At one point the singer wasn’t even making an effort to sing along with the actual song that was playing. So to those that thought, wow they can sing Journey very well, it’s because it was really Journey that we heard. One evening was an auction for some art. That was really weird. It was not entertainment but a way to sell paintings. I know that the entertainment has to be switched up a bit because most guests frequent this place a few times a year and the shows can get old quick but it seems like from the earlier days of the Mother Funkers and the fire dancers, etc, the entertainment has declined in quality. The dancers that do the disco show are great though.

The resort itself is well maintained, clean and it seems like something is always new. We were there in January and this trip we noticed a couple differences. They added glass sliding doors to the outdoor restaurant down by the bathrooms and also added flower pots all the way down where there used to be a step creating a division between the restaurant and the bar area. This is now the restaurant where the late night BLts and snacks are served. The selections are better but the environment down at the lobby bar can't be beat. Seated tables are not very inviting to strike up a conversation with new people like sitting around a bar does. For this reason, I hope they change it back.

The beach was horrible! It’s sad to see it in this state and it got worse over the days we were there. The first day we got there, we went down to the beach and walking by CC’s bar, there were sand bags that peaked out of the sand and large rocks further down. By the time we left, you could clearly see the sand bags and the water was coming right up to the bar. They did get rid of the old rickety beach beds and replaced them with new beds similar to what are around the pool. They also replaced the beach chairs too on the “hood” side where the old loungers used to go to die. Everything is nice and new, too bad the beach is gone. I am not sure what they can do to improve that but something needs to be done. CC’s bar is still there and she is making her delicious drinks and Africa still cheery as ever.

The staff are all great. We actually had a night time server named Christopher that would be equivalent to Africa and Sylvia for service. Very friendly and prompt and never let you get empty. I hope he stays because he was fantastic.

The new suites that are being built look like they are going to be huge. The construction was not intrusive and not all that noisy while lying on the beach. There was noise but nothing that was unbearable.

Having said all that, we had a such a great time and we obviously will be back because there isn’t another place that is like it.

Cheers!
Play_Dough
Desire Fan

Re: Trip Report Oct 14-20, 2016

Postby tan44 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Play_Dough wrote:. This is now the restaurant where the late night BLts and snacks are served. The selections are better but the environment down at the lobby bar can't be beat. Seated tables are not very inviting to strike up a conversation with new people like sitting around a bar

Thank you for your trip report.
We had the same impression...
Kik : cancunx
tan44
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada

Postby jkroha » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Since we were new (just got back) we never saw the lobby with food, but now that you mention it, the one thing we missed at times was the ability to easily join people, it is mainly 2 person tables there, some times we forced it and introduced ourselves and joined tables up, but that is kinda hard compared to being able to sit at say a long table, couch, etc. We did do a meet and great dinner, we enjoyed that (one person was not great, rest were wonderful and we made close friends that way). For that they setup a 16 person table, was nice and wish they did more of that, I am sure others might hate the idea however. Thanks for the report!
Naughy Nawlins 2018 (Was...awesome)
Desire RM Dec 14-22, 2018
Jhnkha on SDC/SLS/Kasidie
kik:funnynerd8
jkroha
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 14 Dec 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS SDC Kasidie

Postby SexxxyInMe » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Fantastic trip report. Thank you! Exactly what we were thinking about the switch from late night Lobby Bar.....less socialization is :DL Of course, we will make the best of it!
SexxxyInMe
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 17 Feb 2020

Postby GoldCoCouple » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Yes, thanks for the report. We now need to start planning our next visit.
GoldCoCouple
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 28 Sep 2013
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, Swingersboard

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya