Trip Report from 8/13-8/18, 2017

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Trip Report from 8/13-8/18, 2017

Postby Yankeefan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Trip #11 was as fun as the last 10 trips. We missed last year as we did a LS cruise. Returned this year to find so many improvements to the property but were left a bit unimpressed with some other things. First and foremost were the bars. Not sure what the issue is at Desire but the alcohol is at an all time worst. Vodka and Cranberry tasted nothing like Vodka and Cranberry no matter what Vodka was used. The mixed drinks tasted like they are from Disney. We tried a number of items and they were all bad. Tainted alcohol was not an issue. Real alcohol was the issue. They only thing that tasted right was beer. Enough about alcohol. The beach beds were a dream come true. The new lift beds were a great addition instead of those old bulky pillows they used to have. The beach has always been eroding over the years and I cant quite understand why they don't hook up a rake to the back of that tractor they have and rake the sand in the early morning hours like they do elsewhere instead of those 2 hard working guys hand packing the bags. Would take 10 minutes with that tractor.... Candido has replaced Afrika and he does a great job serving. Great kid, very pleasant and of course, very respectful of the ladies. (great hugger!) The new beach bed policy was a pleasure to have. Quite a few impressive shows out there. Not exactly sure about the 2k per night monstrosities they have there. Didn't see much action there but I guess if you got it, great...

Food was fine. Matilda as usual for breakfast...what a great lady! The staff was over the top great. The service at Desire is as good as it gets, always has been. The playmakers were very impressive and did the best they could. The disco was lively, same old story with the music but wont ever change. Playroom was as busy as we've ever seen it. WOW. Beds, floor, standing up....jeez. Again, very impressive shows in there. Both young and old.

We knew going in that we'd be on the older end of the crowd and we were. There is an obvious separation of age groups and to be fair, rightfully so. Not sure the young guns want to hook up with folks who could be their parents! and vice versa, not sure the young 30 crowd is in our wheelhouse anyway. We appreciated the great conversation in the Jacuzzi and meeting a ton of fine folks which is why Desire is what Desire is and we will continue to support it.

We could see the hard push for time share and felt bad for the people who don't read these forums and get a heads up. We never signed up for it, never felt comfortable with the deals. I'm sure some of you are on the other side and have taken full advantage. Just not for us.

Overall, the experience was what we wanted. 6 days of relaxation, adult fun and reading a few good books. Naked. Hard to beat. Hope to see more next year.
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Re: Trip Report from 8/13-8/18, 2017

Postby Calguygal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm

We are 50 & 51 and were there aug 6-10 and had the best time of our 6 trips What are your ages that make you 'old'?
Calguygal
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 26 Dec 2015

Postby Exoticcouple » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Yankeefan wrote:Trip #11 was as fun as the last 10 trips. We missed last year as we did a LS cruise. Returned this year to find so many improvements to the property but were left a bit unimpressed with some other things. First and foremost were the bars. Not sure what the issue is at Desire but the alcohol is at an all time worst. Vodka and Cranberry tasted nothing like Vodka and Cranberry no matter what Vodka was used. The mixed drinks tasted like they are from Disney. We tried a number of items and they were all bad. Tainted alcohol was not an issue. Real alcohol was the issue. They only thing that tasted right was beer. Enough about alcohol. The beach beds were a dream come true. The new lift beds were a great addition instead of those old bulky pillows they used to have. The beach has always been eroding over the years and I cant quite understand why they don't hook up a rake to the back of that tractor they have and rake the sand in the early morning hours like they do elsewhere instead of those 2 hard working guys hand packing the bags. Would take 10 minutes with that tractor.... Candido has replaced Afrika and he does a great job serving. Great kid, very pleasant and of course, very respectful of the ladies. (great hugger!) The new beach bed policy was a pleasure to have. Quite a few impressive shows out there. Not exactly sure about the 2k per night monstrosities they have there. Didn't see much action there but I guess if you got it, great...

Food was fine. Matilda as usual for breakfast...what a great lady! The staff was over the top great. The service at Desire is as good as it gets, always has been. The playmakers were very impressive and did the best they could. The disco was lively, same old story with the music but wont ever change. Playroom was as busy as we've ever seen it. WOW. Beds, floor, standing up....jeez. Again, very impressive shows in there. Both young and old.

We knew going in that we'd be on the older end of the crowd and we were. There is an obvious separation of age groups and to be fair, rightfully so. Not sure the young guns want to hook up with folks who could be their parents! and vice versa, not sure the young 30 crowd is in our wheelhouse anyway. We appreciated the great conversation in the Jacuzzi and meeting a ton of fine folks which is why Desire is what Desire is and we will continue to support it.

We could see the hard push for time share and felt bad for the people who don't read these forums and get a heads up. We never signed up for it, never felt comfortable with the deals. I'm sure some of you are on the other side and have taken full advantage. Just not for us.

Overall, the experience was what we wanted. 6 days of relaxation, adult fun and reading a few good books. Naked. Hard to beat. Hope to see more next year.

:( we are bringing our own couple bottles that will last a day or two at the most. At first we were worried about tainted now watered down or low quality. Do they sell premium untampered alcohol? Like crown? Can we order bottles of sealed wine import? I read that the mixes are just flavor shots instead of real juice or at least carton juice and some people asked for fresh did you try? Great review BTW!
LS and Desire Newbies.
Exoticcouple
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 05 Jul 2018

Postby TheGinger&TheGiant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 am

Thank you for the trip report! We've been desperate for more the closer we get to leaving!
TheGinger&TheGiant
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 13 Oct 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS DDN

Postby Yankeefan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am

Should have stated, we are both 58. She looks 45, I look 58. :cry:
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

Postby Yankeefan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Exoticcouple wrote:
Yankeefan wrote:Trip #11 was as fun as the last 10 trips. We missed last year as we did a LS cruise. Returned this year to find so many improvements to the property but were left a bit unimpressed with some other things. First and foremost were the bars. Not sure what the issue is at Desire but the alcohol is at an all time worst. Vodka and Cranberry tasted nothing like Vodka and Cranberry no matter what Vodka was used. The mixed drinks tasted like they are from Disney. We tried a number of items and they were all bad. Tainted alcohol was not an issue. Real alcohol was the issue. They only thing that tasted right was beer. Enough about alcohol. The beach beds were a dream come true. The new lift beds were a great addition instead of those old bulky pillows they used to have. The beach has always been eroding over the years and I cant quite understand why they don't hook up a rake to the back of that tractor they have and rake the sand in the early morning hours like they do elsewhere instead of those 2 hard working guys hand packing the bags. Would take 10 minutes with that tractor.... Candido has replaced Afrika and he does a great job serving. Great kid, very pleasant and of course, very respectful of the ladies. (great hugger!) The new beach bed policy was a pleasure to have. Quite a few impressive shows out there. Not exactly sure about the 2k per night monstrosities they have there. Didn't see much action there but I guess if you got it, great...

:( we are bringing our own couple bottles that will last a day or two at the most. At first we were worried about tainted now watered down or low quality. Do they sell premium untampered alcohol? Like crown? Can we order bottles of sealed wine import? I read that the mixes are just flavor shots instead of real juice or at least carton juice and some people asked for fresh did you try? Great review BTW!

We saw a number of folks who brought their own. Duty free shop right there as you pass thru customs. Very unfortunate it has come down to this. For the price they are charging now, it doesn't seem unreasonable to stock quality booze.
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

Postby Explorer79 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I'd always wondered if the booze was weaker somehow. There are days that I ended up drinking more than I normally would but thankfully didn't feel the effects, so in my case it was a good thing. Last thing I want to end up drunken-smashed at Desire (elsewhere I might feel the opposite)
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby Exoticcouple » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 pm

So we can't ask for premium drinks even at a cost?
LS and Desire Newbies.
Exoticcouple
Desire Lover

Postby comfywhatsnext » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Just returned yesterday and the bars were all stocked with Premium liquor. They even used the premium for specialty drinks just had to ask.
comfywhatsnext
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 19 Nov 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Cafe Desire

Postby Exoticcouple » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 pm

comfywhatsnext wrote:Just returned yesterday and the bars were all stocked with Premium liquor. They even used the premium for specialty drinks just had to ask.

Thanks so much do we pay for the premium stuff?
LS and Desire Newbies.
Exoticcouple
Desire Lover

Postby Yankeefan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:32 am

The bottle is premium, yes...but the stuff inside, not so sure. I've seen it happen personally. Not all the time but yes, it does happen.
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

Postby Justskin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks for taking the time, great report. Always appreciate real world experiences no matter how many times we've gone.
SLS = Yummy1s
Justskin
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Sep 2019

Postby SexxxyInMe » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Wow! Candido has taken Afrika's position on the beach! I loved Afrika, but also love Candido, too! I will look forward to seeing him from our beach bed! Great trip report!
SexxxyInMe
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 17 Feb 2020

Postby bankerman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Is Africa gone completely from DRM? She was great!
bankerman
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 11 Nov 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby CokeMann » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:31 pm

bankerman wrote:Is Africa gone completely from DRM? She was great!

No, she is still there but working the pool area rather than the beach ;)
CokeMann
Site Admin

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya