July 7th - 14th 2018 Long Time Guest Perspective

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

July 7th - 14th 2018 Long Time Guest Perspective

Postby Mark and Clis » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:24 pm

This was our 15th trip to Desire, our group The Refugees in Paradise have been going every year, second week of July since 2004. Things have changed over the years of course, some good and some not so good. First I want to thank Fabiola in Guest Services for taking excellent care of us, she is truly a pleasure to work with. We're a pretty low maintenance group, Fabiola organizes our Welcome party and our daily "Raffle" (money give away) for the employees, if you've ever been there with us that week you've seen how special it is.

Not a trip report for people going for the first time on what to expect. More for the returning guests that have seen the resort change over the years. There is not much to complain about when going to Desire, especially if you've been to other "like" resorts. Is it perfect? No. Do they try to be perfect? Not sure if that's possible. But they do try to meet hundreds of guests expectations, all at the same time and as best as possible. So lets's start with some memorable things that have improved over the years. Hot tub hours, open earlier and stay open later. The swim up bar was a great addition. The Disco renovation and Playroom. Adding tacos to late night snack menu. The Sushi place. Air conditioning in the main dining room. Foam Party. Relaxed guidelines on extra curricular activity locations. Fantasy menu. I even hear they have a "Happy Ending" message now. Although Sylvia is no longer there and a hard pair of shoes to fill, Africa is doing a tremendous job serving drinks poolside.

Now for the not so good things. My biggest gripe to start is the now enclosed lunch area, one word .... Booooooooo!Can't go grab a bite without putting on a suit and tie. Pool renovation made the pool too shallow, water gets too hot in the summer and I practically have to sit to cover myself with water. Too much "development" around lobby area, air is stagnant, no breeze, too hot. Not crazy with the new decor in the main dining room, I really liked the murals. The Disco music has steadily gone downhill over the last handful of years, this year seemed particularly "meh", when the set starts with six Pitbull songs in a row I'm out....... Get some NEW MUSIC! Need shade around pool for us "sun challenged" people. Hopefully I'm wrong but I sense a trend towards making Desire into a Pearl.

Generalizations can be made about many things. Employees, many standouts and people we call friends and are very good at what they do. Food, seems like every year is different. Never bad, but could be better, to very good don't change a thing. This was a very good year for food (new hamburger at the lunch buffet is the BOMB!). Facilities and rooms, as always very clean and well maintained. Beach, we never go there except to see CC at the beach bar and she is awesome as ever. After hours entertainment, every effort is made to bring in great acts and bands. They do have a "house" band now which we liked. But the other stuff, same stuff every year..... been there done that, it's hot, I need a drink, is it too early for BLT's?

Mark aka Butters
Refugees in Paradise
Mark and Clis
Desire Fan

We are from: USA

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya