Third Trip This Year! (see our other TRs) :)

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

Third Trip This Year! (see our other TRs) :)

Postby nicenycpl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:02 am

TRIP REPORT

Three trips in one year may sound a bit obsessive, and….well, it is! We usually (last 4 years) head to Desire in January, however this year a January trip was not possible so we bumped it back to December and that coupled with Last January’s trip and a quick getaway weekend in august and that’s three trips in 2009 & labeled as obsessive!!! (I’ll take it!)

We noticed just a few minor changes since August: The newly tiled pool looks great, don’t know if the “new heaterâ€
nicenycpl on Kik
nicenycpl
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya

Postby mfay » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for a very interesting report !
Just a couple of questions about a couple of things:
Are you saying Edgar is back at Desire ? In early September he was no longer there (and we were very sad to hear it.)
Regarding the resort on Isla Mujerus- the last we heard
the resort was to be called "Unik" and was to be a very upscale place and decidedly non lifestyle friendly. The website (http://www.unikresorts.com/) is still showing an opening in summer 2010. Is "Choices" another separate new resort from Unik, or has the name and concept changed ?
Mike
mfay

We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby nicenycpl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:23 pm

mfay wrote:Thanks for a very interesting report !
Just a couple of questions about a couple of things:
Are you saying Edgar is back at Desire ? In early September he was no longer there (and we were very sad to hear it.)
Regarding the resort on Isla Mujerus- the last we heard
the resort was to be called "Unik" and was to be a very upscale place and decidedly non lifestyle friendly. The website (http://www.unikresorts.com/) is still showing an opening in summer 2010. Is "Choices" another separate new resort from Unik, or has the name and concept changed ?

Yikes >>>brain said Memo, fingers typed Edgar!!! (we miss him too!)... must be the detox period! gonna post photos in the Photo section later this week! as far Isla Mujeres, I had heard it refered to as Unik and as Choices (or maybe they just introduced it as choices as in "options".,i was distracted! :P ) .....and frankly when I was typing the TR at 1 AM last night i couldnt remember the "other name" but yeah it was Unik and the concept is as you described....upscale/non lifestyle (no nudity) but topless friendly.
nicenycpl on Kik
nicenycpl
Desire Addict

Postby jsnyder » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:13 pm

I like the idea of the photographer!!
jsnyder

Postby mfay » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks- but you had my hopes up there for a while about Edgar !
By the way, there is a post By Mia in the Desire management section here in the forum regarding the room service charge and the free wifi.
Mike
mfay

Postby tout.prest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:03 pm

Hey niceny !

We were there last week as well (we looked for you , but to no avail. We WERE at the hottub during the repeaters thing .lol) and its interesting that we received different info on some of the things you mentioned.
Most noticibly was that I was told again that they already DO own the property next door. Plans are made and have been put on indefinite hold until the economy stabilizes.....Interesting difference.

I will try to post a short trip report on our thoughts too as soon as I can. We had a great time, but it went by real quick.

The good news is that we are gonna have 3 visits within 12 months as well, since its only 137 more days till we leave again !! :D

Steve,
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby miranda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks for the great trip report. We were talking to Mia about the property next door as well as the renos.

The expansion to next door is on hold as mentioned and they would REALLY like to reno the rooms and especially the disco but they have a few very difficult decisions to make about going about this.

They are always busy. Would we, as patrons, like to forego any of our vacation time in order for the resort to shut down the disco for renos or even shut down a block of rooms in order to accomodate the renos?

How do you think they should go about it? Shut-down time could be a couple of months. Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

That disco REALLY needs the renos done - and soon. We found it quite disgusting and not a place we wanted to spend much time in.
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby Denver Duo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:15 pm

nicenycpl, thanks for the trip report. We like your suggestion for the resort to consider doing salsa lessons or similar considering the amount of Latin music that was played in the disco last time we were there.
Denver Duo
Desire Lover

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Sucks to hear about Edgar... he was the best. Anyone know where he went? On our last trip, he was unhappy about the rotation of the bartenders. He was thinking about leaving. He was working the evenings at the jacuzzi bar.....very boring from 7-midnight.....no tips also. They are supposed to pool their tips, but he said that many workers "pocket" their own tips. We talked to Miguel and were able to get Edgar switched to the Lobby bar for the last 3 nights of our group's trip. Edgar mentioned that a lot of employees were not very happy with working conditions. I hope they don't lose any more good people. In my opinion, the people who work there make the resort what it is (besides the atmosphere).
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby mfay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Cali- unfortunately Edgar didn't leave on his own. Or so we were told. We didn't ask for the exact details, but he
apparently crossed that invisible and hard to define line regarding interaction with guests. Many of us have seen it before. Guests having fun draw the bartenders or other Desire staff in to doing something they aren't allowed to do- and the staff person loses his/her job because of it.
Good reminder for all of us: don't try to talk the staff into participating in situations that have any chance of getting them in trouble !
Mike
mfay

Postby mfay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:43 pm

P.s- we certainly agree about the staff- they make Desire special.
And we have complained many times about the bartender rotation. Dumb ! Put the best bartenders where/when the most people are. Simple.
Mike
mfay

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Our thoughts exactly mfay.....you put your best people where the action is...makes the most sense. I hope it's not true about Edgar, he seemed like such a good family man...always talking about his wife and family. I guess a guy can only be tempted so many times. We have seen a few Desire workers cross the line....Remember Aldo? he was a piece of work......we tried to warn him over and over...he didn't listen.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby miranda » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:40 am

:wink:
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby mfay » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 am

Cali- Aldo (alias: Poppy, which he said indicated to the ladies what a stud he was) was a character ! Great fun,
but we all knew he would never last. He is the guy who presided over the "BJ" and Papaya eating contests in the disco on consecutive nights on one trip. We'll never forgot those nights. Only at Desire !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
mfay

Postby Powderfinger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:16 am

miranda wrote:Just my humble opinion but I think Hayden was a bit too young to be working the jacuzzi bar at night. 9 months on the job, he was just a kid (alright, he was my son's age 26) and probably saw way more "stuff" than I would want my 26 year old son to see at such a young age! :wink:

Please tell me this is a joke.....We've met a few couples that age and younger down there that could, ummmmmm, teach us old folks a thing or two......
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Next

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya