first week of Jan. the good. the bad and newbie advice

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

first week of Jan. the good. the bad and newbie advice

Postby newcpl24 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Well we made it back with no delays, unlike the flight into Cancun which was two hours late .

Just want to tell newbies some secret tips.
To get the most from your day, get up early 7-9am, get breakfast before it is too busy and get to the pool/beach. If you want to use the hot tub alone, be there between 1pm and 3pm . if you want to meet people try 4- 6pm. After 7 everyone is at dinner or getting ready, so it will slowly empty out until the nightclub opens (when it stays empty until people start filtering in late night after 12:30 am or so)

SEE THE SUNSET AT 5 or 5:30!!! from the top of the hot tub, go past the beachbeds to the railing, bring a drink, your girl and you will have a memory for life . Cant believe the hot tub drinkers stay in and miss out on one of the best sunsets- long expanse of open land, bright colors etc. Take 15 minutes to move just twenty feet from the bar and you wont regret it.(like i said you can carry your drink)

Likewise see the stars after midnight on a beach bed! Instant memory.

Cafe lattes and espressos at the bar near the front desk keep you going all day- use them!

If you can do it, try walking down the beach (south or north) and check out the Azul resort or even further Paradisus - very nice to look around.

Ok, now the trip specifics
I'll try to make it brief and get right to the juicy details:
First the good: The food which can sometimes be a little off, was perfect. My recommendation is to stick to seafood - which is always good and skip the Japanese restaurant. Unfortunately we were playing too much to try the Italian, but the dinner buffet was well done. (the mexican buffet is surprisingly bland however.)
The people were more of a party crowd than we were used to, but thats fine. We had never been in January and maybe thats normal. Nightclub was well staffed, despite the large crowd and the playroom...wow...the Eyes Wide Shut night basically packs the playroom afterwards, so plan for that if you are there on a wednesday. Also, if you have never been- everyone in the playroom is very respectful, clean,and enough space is given for everyone. Most couples play by themselves, stealing peeks at neighbors. (for the record, we don't and didn't swing but do like to watch sexy couples)
The Beach is a little smaller , but better than Jamaica or any other resort beach I've been to. Beds were not a problem, didnt waste money/time reserving, just went straight to them after breakfast and there were 7 or 8 available.

THE BAD: The pool- its just cold. I don't know the politics and debate about heating it or whatever, but its January and the pool is going to be cold, accept and move on. For what its worth, the weather was so cold that half the people had three or four towels to cover themselves head to toe while laying by the hottub.(It gets windy up there)
but the hottub was hot.

Single guy. Dont know the whole story(if anyone else was there feel free to jump in) but basically a single guy 50's very tan, southern accent, balding, moustache, always drunk. was in the hottub one day. Basically all day drunk, almost drowned himself, and had to be helped out. Four hours later, he is back in the hot tub. The whole time he is staring at the women and telling loud stories about his life to anyone- complaints were made, but the bartenders response was "he'll leave soon." Saw him last day at breakfast- eating alone of course. My guess is he is friends with the owner, or is something like a contractor for the resort and is staying for free. I wasnt the only one who complained, several couples said they were watching him to make sure he didnt drown in the hot tub that night.

Service spotty- I say this because it was half awesome / half horrible. Breakfast was perfect, someone every 20 seconds at times to remove a dirty plate or refill coffee, etc. At lunch, never offered a drink poolside, never offered a drink at outside buffet. Dinner was good service, but not given any choice of seating. At the spa you will be ignored unless you grab someone.

Mosquitos - you will get bit. its a swamp. bring bug spray or cover up to avoid this. end of story.

Construction - lot of it going on compared to our last visit. new AC unit being put on building across from hot tub. /new railings being chainsawed in the morning. I know its necessary, but be warned. this is going to continue as the resort is upgraded.

All in all a good trip and we will be back (proabaly not in January however too cold. )
newcpl24

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 pm

We don't understand the whole pool heater issue either....our last 2 trips the pool has been freezing. You would think that if you are paying $500 - $600 a night, they'd spring for some pool heat.
We also had a similar incident with a single guy on our last trip. We think he was a friend of Patricia ( the owner) as he was with her and her husband touring the resort and in the disco. He was by himself in the jacuzzi staring at women...kind of creepy.
I wish someone would open up a Desire type resort to compete...maybe bring their prices back down to where they used to be. Right now they have a monopoly.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby JCnBadboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Agreed! Heat the damn pool! The system is in! Turn it on! It went down to 14C two nights.. that makes for a verrrry chilllly pool!
We will be glad to build a new Desire.... any takers?
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

We are from: Canada

Postby JCnBadboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:44 pm

That man, you speak of, is B from a larger city M....he was a newbie, and he thought he would surprise his wife, H.... she did not like her surprise. He was just hoping that his lady would go for it with all her might. He was hoping for a few days of having his dick rubbed. He was hoping to fulfill some of his bucket list. Thats all. It just didnt work out for him.
Any friends of the owners have much more respect. We had the privilege of meeting some of these friends this time. I can assure you, that management would not allow their friends to behave in such a manner. We did get a chance to talk with B, before he got too drunk. His trip, didnt go the way he fantasized, thats all....whos trip did? hmmm...
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

Postby dshah » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am

We plan to be there in five days and hate to hear that pool is not heated. Did you (JCn) talk with Admin to see anything can be done? We never been there before but excited and looking forward to the trip. I don't think the cold water in pool will stop us for anything but just disappointing.
dshah

Postby newcpl24 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Just to add to my report-
We did see two people swimming laps in the pool, (Guys with caps and goggles exercising.) but I dont think the pool being heated is a huge issue. Yes it would be nice if it was heated, but the real socializing goes on in the hottub, and for swimming, you can do the ocean- it is a little warmer than the pool, in my opinion.
In short, dont worry about the pool so much, especially if this is your first time. For comparison We have been twice and used the pool once. Used the hot tub, a dozen times at least, and didn't feel inconvenienced.
(When the roach dropped from the ceiling into my dessert one night while dining- that was an inconvenience!)
Having said that, we plan to return in warmer months, never in winter again. we can use the pool then and not have to cover up in towels from the wind chill.

Enjoy your trip!

newcpl24@gmail.com
newcpl24

Postby miranda » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks for all the great info. I agree that the ocean could be warmer than the pool, but make sure you have something on your feet in the ocean. Lots of rocks and such in water that you could easily stub a toes on or twist an ankle or, heaven forbid, ruin a pedicure!
miranda
Desire Legend

Postby flstreet22 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:47 pm

I was one of those lap swimmers - in the relatively early a.m. (goggles yes, cap or swimsuit no). The pool temp was fine. The cold comes from the breeze, which can be stiff at times (pun intended) in Jan.

The weather in Jan. has been at times chilly, but I think we will return then. Unless we cannot wait that long (somewhat likely). The crowd Jan 3 to 8 was outstanding - very attractive, respectful and fun. Kudos to I and J and friends, and "those crazy Quebecers" from the playroom Thursday night for getting the party started.

There were a few exceptions - many fewer than you will invariably encounter at Hedo. "Tex" - may have been same guy - had about six too many every day, stumbled around the jacuzzi and would not believe that I was from the States (but accepted at face value that I was from Canada - go figure, eh?). We point out these rare circumstances not to discourage folks from venturing to Desire but rather to let guys who may not clue in on their own as to what is and is not "cool" at Desire - that is, respectful at a place where your imagination is encouraged to run wild.

Thanks to all those who were there for making it the trip of a lifetime (and best in 3 visits to Desire).

p.s. There are no longer curtains on the jacuzzi beds right now (we thought that this was a good thing) and there is a "no sex on the beach" rule that at least some of us view as more of a guideline than a rule. Curious as to what other folks think as to whether the occasional hj/bj on the beach is still OK.
flstreet22

Postby Denver Duo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:10 pm

no curtains on the jacuzzi beds or the beach beds would be a good thing, in our opinion as well.
Denver Duo
Desire Lover

Postby karlita » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:20 pm

How where the the theme nights this time around? I am curious about the new dj night as we love the club atmosphere..did they get it right?
How was the entertainment staff, a lot of new faces?

That's a BUMMER about the pool, I agree with other posters, paying $500-$600/night and they can't heat that teeny pool? Man, hopefully they get their shiz together before we go in five days--I was soo excited about getting my topless water volleyball game on!
karlita
Desire Convert

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya