NY Eve Trip Report - First Timers

Please contribute Desire Riviera Maya Trip reports here

NY Eve Trip Report - First Timers

Postby newbie22 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 pm

My wife and I enjoyed our first trip to Desire Resort over the NY Eve holiday, so I thought I would contribute a report as many others have done. When I say we were nubies, I mean not only had we never been to Desire, but we had never been nude in public.

Airport and Transportation to Resort
Upon arrival in Cancun, we cleared immigrations and customs in only 20 minutes.....and that was with having our bags checked. We had arranged transport through TransBeach, and a big KUDOS to them for several things: 1) Very clear instructions sent in advance (extremely important, as you will be hounded by others to use their service....even to the extent that they’ll lie and tell you they are your ride), 2) Being in the EXACT location they said they would be, even with us clearing only 20 min after de-planing, 3) having my name with a sign, which took the guessing work out of all the hustlers, and 4) having a pleasant driver who took us right over.

Arrival at Resort
Upon arrival at the resort, the express check-in worked well and cut-down on some paperwork, but given the two hour wait time to the room the wife and I headed to the lobby bar for some tonic to calm the nerves. It only took an hour to get the room ready, so we arranged our clothes and took a foot tour of the property. Thanks to Desire for their part in listening to my requests when I registered and giving us a room in the area of the property requested.

Fast forward.....it was 4PM so we put on our bathing suits and headed to the infamous rooftop spa. Yes, the Milagro Tequila was kicking-in. Still, we must have looked like we had a neon sign that said “Newbiesâ€
newbie22
Desire Convert

Postby Piqued » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Outstanding review! Thanks for sharing!
Piqued
Desire Fan

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Great, unbiased review. You have now experienced the "power" of Desire. As you pointed out though....they need to make improvements!
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby tout.prest » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Great review guys ! Sounds like you caught the spirit very well.

We have done the First name business cards for awhile now and they are a great idea. We also had alot of fun with a couple back last june at the jacuzzi,and were hitting it off great, but they left the next morning before we could trade emails. Ironically, that is our one "regret" from that trip. :(

That bartender sounds like quite the tool ! Did anyone get his name ? Was he drunk at the time, as we have heard was an issue from some other posters ? I'm sure he isn't employed at Desire anymore but it would be nice to be sure.

Thanks again for the awesome review. Now.........When are you going to return ? :wink:

Steve
tout.prest
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 04 Aug 2016

Postby JCnBadboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:33 pm

boy.. where were you sitting! lol. we wish we could have at least chatted with you! You see, in spite of the fiascos, everyone had a really great time! Next year then! cheers!
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

Postby JandH » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:04 pm

The jacuzzi bar is the only place in Desire that I've ever experienced poor service. Unfortunately, its been more of a rule than an exception up there.
JandH
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 11 Nov 2019

Postby Cali_desire_cpl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:17 pm

We have an issue of the way they rotate bartenders......It seems they rotate their shifts every 2 weeks or so. We think they should rotate their best bartenders to where the action is. Our favorite bartender was Edgar.....Our last trip they had him working up at the jacuzzi bar in the evening. That was great when we went up there after the disco.....but from 8-10 when everyone is at the lobby bar they had a couple of slappys that didn't have a clue what they were doing and it took forever to get a drink. We and a couple of other couples went up to the jacuzzi bar to get our drinks from Edgar....They should have rotated him to the lobby bar when busy...then back up to the jacuzzi when it got busy.....put your best team when the action is.
Cali_desire_cpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2013

Postby newbie22 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Cali - Yes, they really do need to make improvements. Hopefully they’ll do that, or even with the great environment and awesome people the guests will take their money elsewhere. There are some high end takeovers going on in Europe in the form of 5 star hotels and cruises. I’ll spend my money on those other trips if they don’t make more of an effort. BTW, forgot to include in my original report that I thought they were a little cheap on the brands of their liquor. I also agree with putting the best people in the busiest bar.

tout.prest - Glad to know I wasn’t the only one to have the thought about the biz cards. Oh well, live and learn. As for when we go again, it may be next New Year’s Eve. My only hesitation would be the ultra-high premium they put on the price. We may also try Hedo to avoid any risk of colder weather.

JC - When the whole roof top dispute started we were sitting near the bar stools closest to the “cubby holes.â€
newbie22
Desire Convert

Postby JCnBadboy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Its all good... It was late, I was less than sober...the whole night was really a fiasco...from the moment we sat for dinner... Next time.. we will know. This visit was certainly an "Eyes Wide Open" trip. We wouldnt have missed it for anything. We met some really wonderful people and we re-connected with some even more wonderful people. Keep in touch with us you naughty people! Cheers!
JCnBadboy
Desire Devotee

Winter

Postby gunner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Was the trip worth more than double the summer pricing just for New Years Week?
gunner
Desire Convert

Postby newbie22 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am

No, in my opinion it was most definitely not worth the extra money, especially considering the amount involved just to be there for new year's eve. That is why we are going to go in June this year.

Frankly, the New Year's Eve party was pretty nothing special, and the food was unmemorable, and was late and cold.

Still, the place was awesome and we look forward to our return in June.
newbie22
Desire Convert

Postby newbie22 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Less than a month and the second trip starts! June 16-21!
newbie22
Desire Convert

Postby fun4us » Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 pm

... as we're going to be Desire newbies ourselves in August, we've just read your review with great interest. Hopefully we can take advantage of the 'lessons learned' that you have posted, become comfortable with all the new experiences that await (in the shortest timeframe possible) and make the most from every minute of our 7 days there! Looking forward to your next review in June :)
fun4us
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 03 Aug 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Cafe Desire

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Riviera Maya