Internet access

Check this section for info on Desire Riviera Maya before you post general questions in the other forums. Someone may have already provided a great answer for you here.

Internet access

Postby ottawa_cuple » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Questions about internet access at Desire keep popping up so we thought it deserved its own FAQ topic.

As of March 2009, there was Wi-Fi available in many, if not all the rooms. Our understanding is that the signal is stronger the closer you are to the lobby. We had great access in room 1612.

Wi-Fi costs $15.00 USD for the duration of your stay.

Note: Wi-Fi is now(from Nov '09) provided free

There is a small computer room just off the lobby with two desktops. If you don't have your own computer you can purchase a set number of minutes on them for a set amount. As far as we know, you can use these minutes in small chunks over the course of your stay. Someone else will have to add the details on minute packages and cost.
ottawa_cuple

We are from: Canada

Postby mfay » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:56 am

We've been told that there has been a major upgrade to the Wi-fi situation in the past 3 months, and that access should be good in all the buildings. Some of the larger buildings even have two routers. The cost is still $15 for the week.
The public access computers are $5 for 1/2 hour of use-but you do have to contend with that spanish keyboard....
Mike
mfay

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 May 2019

Postby Yankeefan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Still drives me nuts that they charge for this. All Inclusive should be ALL INCLUSIVE. Jeez.
SLS: Yankeefans
Yankeefan
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Aug 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby mfay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 pm

I used it on our trip a couple weeks ago and it worked fine from our room-although it was often slow.
I wish it were totally free too, but to be fair- here is an except from an e-mail we just received from a travel agent talking about the new Wifi service at Hedo II- regarded by many as Desire's main competitor:

Hedo 2 now offers wireless internet (wifi) services to guests at the resort. This service was launched in July 2009 as a deliberate effort by the hotel¹s management to improve their guests stay at the property. "Hedonism II prides itself on making guests comfortable and their trip to Negril pleasurable, providing wireless internet is another of our countless services to fulfilling that maxim," said Melzina Webley the hotel's Sales Coordinator.
"The wifi service is available to visitors on the entire property, the beach and all rooms included. Initially, the only access to the internet was that of the Internet Café located at the front of the property, with wifi guest will keep connected to the outside world, no matter where on the hotel property they are located," she explained.

The hotel provides the wireless internet service at reasonable rates for visitors. Okuson Onuora, Online Sales Representative for the hotel, says that the "hotel offers this service at US $15 for the entire day and US $90
for the week."
Mike
mfay

Postby Nolaflacav » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:59 pm

I agree with Mike that the speed is a little on the slow side. The upside is that the signal was strong enough from our room and outside on the patio. There was no need to go search from a stronger spot like I have had to on some prior trips.

When I checked in I told the clerk that I wanted WiFi and he turned it on and gave me the password/ID combo. I asked him if he wanted a credit card for the charge and any other incidentals. I was surprised when he said no and that I could just pay at checkout. Needless to say that at checkout time I had zero incidentals on my bill and they never asked for the WiFi charge.
Nolaflacav
Desire Fan

Postby mfay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:35 pm

Interesting ! We did have incidentals on the bill, but since I knew Barbara had been "shopping" for a couple gifts in the gift shop- I didn't pay any attention to the receipt details. I don't know if we paid for the wifi or not.
Mike
mfay

Postby eddieandjojo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, our bill was $0 at checkout and I didn't realize it until we got to the airport....NO charge for the internet access.

So, there you go!

E&J
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby mfay » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:26 pm

See the update in the "News directly from Desire Management" section of the forum about newly offered free WiFi access. Just to clarify, when they say wifi is free in public areas, that does include your room-assuming you can get the signal there.
Mike
mfay

Postby swspice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Can anyone give an update on the wireless situation? Is it safe to bring a laptop and leave unattended in the room? Four weeks and counting :)
swspice
Desire Lover

Postby DesireWeek43 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm

swspice -> I have taken my laptop our last 3 trips (even before the "free wifi" was available), and have left it right on the desk in my room. I have had absolutely no issues with doing this.

It's been great to have for Skype to call home.

K
Have You Been 43'd Yet?
Apr/October
KIK ID: DRMApril17
DesireWeek43
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 0- 4-2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Apr. 2021

Postby swspice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks.. I use Skype and am glad to hear it works...
swspice
Desire Lover

Return to Frequently Asked Questions about Desire Riviera Maya