Heads Up

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Heads Up

Postby beagirl » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:03 pm

We just returned from a fabulous visit to Pearl with all of our wonderful friends from years past, but have a small problem to report. My debit card was stolen from my purse in our room and fortunately my husband caught it the next morning after the charges were made all over Cancun gas stations and restaurants. We called our bank immediately for the $1100 of expenses. I take full responsibility for not putting my purse in the safe where we had our cash stored. Because my wallet and card were never even used or moved from the time we left home, I know it was stolen from our room. My advice is to have a wonderful time, but always be cautious and use the safe.
beagirl
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 02 Jul 2015

Re: Heads Up

Postby Milpitas2001 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Sorry to hear that! We overlapped with you and was okay. I had read about someone else having a similar experiences not the forum, it was our first time to this region of Mexico, and so I was extra careful about putting everything in the safe and leaving it there. Hope it all works out with the bank.
Milpitas2001

We arrive on: 05 Jul 2016

Postby Hector » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 am

The safe in the room is a joke. I can carry the safe away with one hand, it was not screwed to the wall or anything. But you have nowhere to put your valuables.
Hector
Desire Devotee

We are from: Canada

Postby lineb59 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:42 am

Total bummer.....makes me want to reconsider my trip, we have never been to desire....and the thought of things being stolen from our room ....not a good way to plan a trip, Im sure the hotel was notified, they definitely need to "clean house with the staff"...something to think about
The Mrs :DL
lineb59
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 20 Sep 2016

Postby youme69 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 am

Hector wrote:The safe in the room is a joke. I can carry the safe away with one hand, it was not screwed to the wall or anything. But you have nowhere to put your valuables.

Not sure if things have changed but we were at Pearl a little over a month ago, when I would lock the safe and pulled on the door it seemed locked but if I jiggled the door it would open right up.
I told our butler and he said he would send security up but I had to be there, after three guys trying to get it to lock they brought a new safe. I stood over their shoulder as they unbolted and installed the new one.

So as far as ours it was bolted down, after a dozen trips we've never had a problem we never even lock up our phones and iPads. One phone is always on the dock for music.
youme69
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 03 Apr 2024

Postby sexvixxxin2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:14 pm

good advice.
Arriving at DP Oct 13-16 2016!!

were on adult friend finder, and kasidie, under the name sexvixxxin2. look us up and say hello!
sexvixxxin2
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 13 Oct 2016
Swing Site(s) we belong to: adult friend finder, kasidie

Postby WiTxCpl » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Due to the previous forum posts about theft, we are bringing a small lock box that can be secured to something permanent. Hopefully that works although now we have to find a way to carry a key with us sans pockets for 5 days. :|
KIK - WiTxCpl

Desire Pearl - Aug 2016
WiTxCpl
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 01 Aug 2018

Postby Paddleme » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:33 pm

We also departed Sunday morning and left our packed bags and purse in the room while getting breakfast. We discovered a debit card missing from the purse later in the day, and while we can't be sure it was stolen from the room we strongly suspect it. We used the safe all week, but if someone knows you are checking out and have probably emptied your safe, you are a target.

An unfortunate way to end an otherwise wonderful visit.
Paddleme
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 30 Jun 2018

Postby Milpitas2001 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Witxcpl, I brought a small lockbox with us with that very intention, but couldn't find anything to secure it to while still concealing it. So we ended up using the safe and all worked out for us.
Milpitas2001

We arrive on: 05 Jul 2016

Postby WiTxCpl » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Milpitas2001 wrote:Witxcpl, I brought a small lockbox with us with that very intention, but couldn't find anything to secure it to while still concealing it. So we ended up using the safe and all worked out for us.

Thanks for the information Milpitas2001. We're really not sure where/how we will secure it. We're ok with it being seen as long as it can't be removed. With this being our 1st trip, we'll have a scavenger hunt of the penthouse to find something that will work. We're not fully confident on the safety of the safe based on some posts on the forum. Hopefully we are just being overly, and unnecessarily cautious.

-Kim and John
KIK - WiTxCpl

Desire Pearl - Aug 2016
WiTxCpl
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 01 Aug 2018

Postby Al & Kim » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Don't be overly cautious. That can ruin a good time. Every year we hear of a handful of these things happening. The great majority have no problem at all. Be cautious but don't obsess.
We never bring valuables that we will not need. Leave your expensive jewelry and debt cards at home. We have used the room safe each time there and have never had a problem. It is rare to have this problem. Please let the resort know if you have a problem so they can investigate. It will help future guests.
Al & Kim
Desire Devotee

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 13 Dec 2023

Postby tikihutguy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:13 pm

WiTxCpl wrote:Due to the previous forum posts about theft, we are bringing a small lock box that can be secured to something permanent. Hopefully that works although now we have to find a way to carry a key with us sans pockets for 5 days. :|

7th trip coming up DRM/DP and never an issue with things stowed in a variety of places from safe to bed table :D
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby 2DaBeach » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 am

We are going to Desire Pearl for the first time in Oct. We have read the majority of the forums. We are not in the life style or have ever done anything remotely close to...... Ironically our biggest worry is the security of our valuables. :lol:
2DaBeach
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 18 Feb 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby ScubaNSand » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Last September we lost $500 and several pieces of Jewelry. Will not take anything we want to lose and will be very careful where where we put what we take!!

So sad that this destroyed an otherwise perfect trip. If they do not get a handle on it, it will bring down the resort.
ScubaNSand on KIK - C4P - Kasadie - SLS - DDN
Pearl Dec 20, Jun-19-
DRM, Jun-18, Nov-17, May-17, Sep-16, Dec-15, Sept-15, Sept-14
ScubaNSand
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 18 Dec 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidi-C4P-SLS-DDN

Postby candjwv » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:18 am

We just got back from Pearl, and had a few "strange" things happen as far as security is concerned...

As soon as we got there, I checked our doors. The sliding glass door (Master Suite) appeared to latch, but a gentle tug on the door made it pop right open. If I hadn't been paranoid based on the above posts, I would have completely missed this. I found a maintenance guy (who spoke no English) and demonstrated the problem. He had it fixed in 5 minutes, including running back to some place to look for a part. To me, that was awfully "convenient". I would not have expected them to have a random door latch part in stock as part of their maintenance kit. I also would not have expected him to even understand what I was trying to demonstrate since we spoke different languages. It seemed to me that he had seen this "problem" before.

Later, we found that the safe "mysteriously" changed combinations, with our passports inside. I had to have security come and open the safe (which took 3 minutes) so I could change our combination back. It's possible that we typed in the wrong combo, but I use the same number every time, so I'm certain what it was supposed to be. I also tried several "typo" versions of the code (using a button above or below) and those didn't work either. So, the code had changed to something far from our standard code.

And yes, as stated above, the safe in our room was not attached to anything. I assumed that the safe had been swapped for an empty one, but fortunately, our stuff was inside once it was opened.

Then, when we came back to the room from the beach one day, somehow the security bar got set on the door, and we couldn't get in. Again, we had to have security open the door (with a screwdriver). My wife admits that it may have been her who set it (and then left via the patio) but with the other weirdness going on, I wonder.

So, I fully admit we may have been paranoid, but the non-locking patio door was a definite problem, and I give a 95% certainty that we didn't screw up the safe. In the end, nothing was taken, but you should still use caution.
DRM: 5/4 - 5/11, 2014
TTR: 11/10 - 11/15, 2015
DP: 7/29 - 8/3, 2016
*** DRM: June 17-23 2017 ***
candjwv
Desire Lover

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 05 Nov 2022

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl