No longer a Caribbean beach?

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Re: No longer a Caribbean beach?

Postby beachnbaja » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Frosty82 wrote:Sounds like your visit wasn't to bad, don't know what to do.

We just returned and spent every single day on the beds on the beach. We loved it. The seaweed wasn't nearly as bad as we expected based on comments on here (and we do understand this changes). Its still a very nice beach (and much more than we expected as well) with amazing views and the sounds of the waves crashing. We got into the water, and yes, its not crystal clear as elsewhere in the Caribbean but its certainly swimmable. No smell whatsoever. No mosquitoes whatsoever. And any seaweed on the beach is quickly cleaned up by the crew working it.
We wouldn't choose Desire FOR the beach, but it wasn't nearly as bad as we had thought going in.
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 23 Jul 2021

Postby brks » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:13 am

There shouldn't be much seaweed during the winter months. The Desire staff also confirmed that starting December and all the way through March / April the beach should be pretty clean, much cleaner than the rest of the year anyway.
brks
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 09 Jan 2020

Postby May2015 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:19 pm

We were there in Mid October for our 5th visit and we thought the beach was actually in really good shape. Not much seaweed and the sand was very clean. Don't let a few reports of a bad beach deter you from this place.... It is awesome!
May2015

Postby TandD » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:55 am

We just got back from Pearl and for the first several days, there was virtually no seaweed on the beach. I was stunned!

There really didn't seem to be any erosion either. The volleyball net was the same distance from the water as I always remember it to be.

On the last few days, the wind picked up and they started to get some seaweed piling up but it was very manageable by the hard-working beach guy and it just looked like "normal" beach seaweed.

Now I now this doesn't mean the end of all seaweed issues - everything hinges on the tides, currents, and weather.
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby neatfeet » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:19 am

I just got out of the ocean, still dripping wet! I can report that on calm days no seaweed, otherwise the staff does a good job of raking it up. The beach is vey pleasant!
neatfeet
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 06 Dec 2019

Postby El Duderino » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:18 am

If you have read a lot of the posts on this forum and your decision hangs on a pristine beach, don't go to Pearl. The beach is pretty good, but there are a lot nicer beaches in the Caribbean or in the US for that matter. We've been there when storms have trashed the beach and we've been there when it's been immaculate and neither one of those had much impact on our trip. But you have to decide for yourself. If what you want out of the vacation is swimming in turquoise water and laying on a beach all day, there are a lot of better places to do that.

As for the long-term health of Pearl, they're doing just fine. Prices are increasing and they are expanding. The hotel is frequently fully booked. More young people than ever are embracing alternative marriages/partnerships. Mexico is investing heavily in protecting their tourism in Cancun and Riviera Maya.
KIK: JandKcancun
El Duderino
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 05 Nov 2019

Postby salnjr4fun » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:14 pm

We were there 12/1 to 12/5. The weather was immaculate, and I can report that the beach was pristine for the last 3 days. In fact on the last day or 2, they didn't have to clean any seaweed from the beach at all. The barrier seems to really help. We had a bed each day on the beach and it was perfect. In fact we swam in the water and on the 4th there was nothing inside the barrier at all. I would imagine as the weather changes, and storms impact the coastline, the seaweed comes and goes. But it was so totally better than it was in 2017. I have a couple of great pics and if I could figure out how to upload them here I would love to. But I don't see how to do that. If anyone would want to see, I had be happy to share by private message. It couldn't have been any better !

S and J
salnjr4fun
Desire Fan

Postby Newtome » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am

salnjr4fun wrote:We were there 12/1 to 12/5. The weather was immaculate, and I can report that the beach was pristine for the last 3 days. In fact on the last day or 2, they didn't have to clean any seaweed from the beach at all. The barrier seems to really help. We had a bed each day on the beach and it was perfect. In fact we swam in the water and on the 4th there was nothing inside the barrier at all. I would imagine as the weather changes, and storms impact the coastline, the seaweed comes and goes. But it was so totally better than it was in 2017. I have a couple of great pics and if I could figure out how to upload them here I would love to. But I don't see how to do that. If anyone would want to see, I had be happy to share by private message. It couldn't have been any better !

S and J

I would love to see pics of the beach! I actually just posted looking for some :D
Newtome

Postby brks » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Newtome wrote:
salnjr4fun wrote:We were there 12/1 to 12/5. The weather was immaculate, and I can report that the beach was pristine for the last 3 days. In fact on the last day or 2, they didn't have to clean any seaweed from the beach at all. The barrier seems to really help. We had a bed each day on the beach and it was perfect. In fact we swam in the water and on the 4th there was nothing inside the barrier at all. I would imagine as the weather changes, and storms impact the coastline, the seaweed comes and goes. But it was so totally better than it was in 2017. I have a couple of great pics and if I could figure out how to upload them here I would love to. But I don't see how to do that. If anyone would want to see, I had be happy to share by private message. It couldn't have been any better !

S and J

I would love to see pics of the beach! I actually just posted looking for some :D

Just go to tripadvisor and you'll find tons of pics. of Desire resorts: view of the beach, views from rooms, etc. etc., everything you want. You can also see the beach from google maps. Here is the link for tripadvisor. Hope this helps.
brks
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 09 Jan 2020

Postby werfun » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 pm

I'm not sure if it's me or what. Read his other post on the forum looking for private pictures of Desire. Although we are always happy to see new members join the forum and ask questions about Desire we do wonder about people that joined 2 days earlier and have posted 6 times with 2 of those posts asking for pictures of Desire from other guest when there are boat loads on other sites showing pictures of what he is asking for. We are not afraid to tell other that we go to Desire but we are not ready to send to unknown people our private pictures of our trips. I'm not saying that the new member is not a valid person but to us it seems strange that a new member of 2 days with 6 posts asking for pictures. Just our thoughts.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby Newtome » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 pm

If you’re referring to me, please re-read my post. It specifically said I did NOT want pictures of people. I saw all of the pictures on trip advisor, and Desires website prior to posting. I specifically did not see photos of the actual bathroom or balconies other than the mere glimpse you get from the stock photos (and no RECENT beach photos -as in, seaweed status). I can understand your concern but my activity level if anything should show how interested I am in making the right decision to make this trip the best I can for my wife so that she can enjoy a long overdue, much needed vacation where she can let loose. Just as I would never ever send someone photos of myself or her, especially a stranger, I guess I just assumed that wouldn’t have been considered in my request. I sincerely apologize if my interest has come across that way. We’ve gotten pretty serious about booking and want to take the plunge after months of going back and forth so I’ve reached out over our few last questions. Thank you all for all the help you’ve offered.
Newtome

Postby Twopeas » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 am

Pics on the web site are an accurate representation of what you will get. Hard to believe, but true!
Twopeas
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 08 Feb 2022

Previous

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl