Mosqutoes

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Mosqutoes

Postby Seeking thesis » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:26 am

Just back from Pearl and again had a great time but returned with over 50 mosquito bites on my body. In my three previous visits I have never been bitten once so did not bother to take mosquito repellant. Reception were asked to spray room on two occasions but it did not make much difference. Something must have changed this year with regard to mosquitoes. I thought it was significant that the first thing the taxi driver said to me as he was about to take us to the airport was “ How did you get on with the mosquitoes? “
Anybody else have this problem?
Seeking thesis
Desire Convert

We are from: UK
Will be at: Desire Pearl

Re: Mosqutoes

Postby mrpskt » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am

We leave for DP a week from tomorrow. I had a few bites last year at the same time (on the beach, in the room, wherever). Can anyone provide the name of the most effective repellant so that we can pack it?
mrpskt
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 01 Dec 2019

Postby northernlightscpl » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:09 am

Just interested if these were mosquito bites or sand flies 'at the beach'. We have been to Desire several times and haven't seen a mosquito yet, but have had several sand fly bites when on the beach area nearly everytime. Regardless, both are not nice and can leave their mark. Take a small tube of polysporin along to relieve the pain and itch...
northernlightscpl
northernlightscpl
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 27 Jan 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Darin & Melissa » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:11 am

We have been 8 times and only had an issue on one trip. They swarmed the jacuzzi one evening and I came out with 30 bites. My back was covered and you could see the waterline where the bites stopped. The next day I looked like a leper. Lol
dmtx on SDC
dmtx1 and mdtx1 on kik
Darin & Melissa
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 09 Jul 2022

Postby northernlightscpl » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Darin & Melissa wrote:We have been 8 times and only had an issue on one trip. They swarmed the jacuzzi one evening and I came out with 30 bites. My back was covered and you could see the waterline where the bites stopped. The next day I looked like a leper. Lol

I wonder if mosquitoes are seasonal there since it was the only one time of 8 you were there. We generally go the same 2 weeks every year and that could be the reason we haven't had any mosquitos. One thing to be concerned about and it may not be in that area is the zika virus that mosquitos carry. The sand flies can be pretty nasty on the beach.
northernlightscpl
northernlightscpl
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 27 Jan 2023

Postby Explorer79 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:46 pm

I think you are right. The only time we have ever seen mosquitoes was both times we had gone in November. There was one night in particular where they were buzzing around the jacuzzi just as Melissa described.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby RJOC » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:51 pm

We were there last January and had difficulties with mosquitoes then too. However, February wasn't a problem.
RJOC
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 24 Jan 2024

Postby ksr » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:45 am

We have been going for years from March to Aug and feel that the mosquitoes have gotten much worse. They almost never bite her and go after me big time. And, the bites are bad. Very large red spots that itch like crazy. So, we found some very strong repellent that I use when we hit the hot tub or beds at night. You don't want to get bitten by those monsters-lol.
kik: KeithandJill
13 DP trips
2 RM visits
1 Hidden Beach experiment
1 Wild Hedo II trip
ksr
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 27 Aug 2021

Postby werfun » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:42 pm

Since I am one that mosquitos love to bite I follow anything that may stop that from happening. There was a news story some time ago that said that a plant based repellent is best and I found an article that drinking a small amount of vinegar a day makes the blood less attractive to mosquitos. Since we live in Waikiki with hardly any mosquitoes I haven't tried either out yet. Of course each person is different so what works for one will not work for another. By that I mean that we can be out and I am swing my arms to keep the mosquitoes away and my wife is sitting across the table without a bug by her. While sitting out we have had several mosquito repellent coils going around my feet and I swear that they seemed to draw the bugs to me.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby Funallnight » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:34 am

Just came back from Pearl yesterday. No mosquito problem at all.
Funallnight
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 26 Dec 2017

Postby Bruce&Pam » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Funallnight wrote:Just came back from Pearl yesterday. No mosquito problem at all.

Good to know. We're arriving on Friday.
Bruce&Pam
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2023

Postby D&H » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:09 pm

December DRM/Pearl trip we experienced small biting flies, which we call no see ums at home. Nothing major. Just a few.
D&H
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 16 Dec 2020

Postby Beach girl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:46 pm

At the Pearl now, I have at least 25 mosquito bites in two days! My husband doesn’t have any!
Beach girl
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2021

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl