No Churro for You! WTF?

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

No Churro for You! WTF?

Postby jkuschill » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:23 am

My wife and I just got back from a wonderful trip to Pearl, other than a knee problem during sand volleyball (thanks to EVERYBODY that helped - she is off to an orthopedist in just a few minutes to see what damage has been done) and a very strange interaction at Aphrodite...

We had a very nice dinner, but all those courses, even if generally small, add up. As a result, when dessert rolled around we were stuffed and asked if we could have our churros wrapped so we could take them to our room and have them later with our nightcap. The waiter got a little "weird" with the request (like "uh-oh, this again") and said that he couldn't do that. We offered to just wander off with them and he assured us that the Maître d’ would stop up and then said we needed to speak to the manager. Well, the manager walks up and we make the request and he says that we couldn't because of the raw eggs?! I assured him that if their churros indeed had eggs they wouldn't be raw because they are deep fried. He said it again and we kinda just stared at him and then he indicated that if we wanted them we should call room service. I asked if they were available on room service, to which he replied that he didn't think so.

Wondering what twilight zone we had stepped into, we had them bring the churros, which sadly weren't very good. Tiny, cold, no whipped cream or powdered sugar, and barely a touch of cinnamon. We've had better at football stadiums (Disney's are really good - they released the recipe a bit ago and we tried to make them, but I think they left out an ingredient ...).

I *know* we had a dessert (maybe cheesecake) packaged up a couple of years ago and people take all manner of breakfast and lunch food out every day. Assuming we could even get the churros through room service, did he think the $10 fee worth pissing off a customer with a full belly? Did we really eat raw eggs in the churros? Thankfully we only took a couple of bites and hopefully they use less dangerous raw eggs in the huevos rancheros I ordered for breakfast. Do they lock up all the plastic plates at night so there was a danger of glass by the pool (never mind that they gave me glass sniffers for my "to go" brandy on several nights)? Maybe they were afraid we would do spectrum analysis on the churros and reverse-engineer the recipe? Or, did we just expect too much?
jkuschill
Desire Fan

We are from: USA

Re: No Churro for You! WTF?

Postby texascouple1208 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm

That is a really odd interaction. I don't think we have ever taken anything with us after dinner (other than unfinished wine), but I am surprised they gave you a hard time about it. Maybe some kind of misunderstanding? The staff is usually so accommodating.
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby tj71903 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:50 pm

Very odd.

Never had the staff tell us no to anything.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Postby daisyduke » Wed May 12, 2021 6:23 pm

That does seem odd!
We did see them once refuse to wrap up food for a couple to take back to their room but it was sushi! The couple complained very loudly but I can only imagine what they would have said if they had taking it back and then left it sitting out to eat later and gotten sick.
My guess would be they had a few people do this and it ended up being a blanket policy.
Kasidie: oliverclothesoff
daisyduke
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 02 Aug 2016
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby No_Regrets » Wed May 12, 2021 10:52 pm

Strange my wife takes berries at breakfast out in a bowl everyday we are there. She does it so that she can have berry mojitos through out the day. She takes the bowl over to the bartenders at both the pool and hot tub and has never had an issue. I wonder if it is as Daisyduke pointed out because someone got sick before after eating a Churro that was left over from dinner.
No_Regrets
Desire Fan

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 29 Apr 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl