Unik

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Unik

Postby rocks6 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm

Sorry if this has been posted. We have been searching to see if Unik was stil open, or if not, what restaurant is in that space? It was our favorite place to eat last time we were there. Thanks. S and A.
rocks6
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 12 Jul 2021

Re: Unik

Postby rocks6 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:41 pm

Oops. Found the search tool. How is Suki? (replaced Unik)
rocks6
Desire Fan

Postby texascouple1208 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:38 pm

We like Suki. Have only eaten at the Pearl version of Suki once, but the menu was very similar to the Suki menu at RM that we have enjoyed several times. I am trying to think how to best convey this....it is pretty good food, but if you come from almost any city in the US or Canada, it is not going to compare to Asian or sushi options at home. We do think the seafood is usually the best bet, though. They also have some sort of pan-Asian options like Thai noodles and stir fried rice dishes if I recall correctly. I have usually found these to be less successful.

We would probably not want to eat there every night, but once or twice on a trip is good for a change of cuisine and scenery. My better half really likes one of their raw salmon appetizers and I remember one time they brought us two orders of it by mistake and I stupidly sent mine back to the kitchen rather than letting her enjoy both portions (duh, all inclusive...).
SDC and Kasidie: twofrisky
Next up: RM July 7-11
texascouple1208
Desire Superstar

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC Kasidie

Postby rocks6 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 am

Great information. Thank you!
rocks6
Desire Fan

Postby beachnbaja » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:02 pm

We agree with the poster above. Suki is good. It is not "great" but there are some really good options. This is getting a little too picky (and doesn't matter much) but we are not huge fans of the decor in there. It feels a little like a hotel lounge (or a cruise ship lounge). It is in a great location and overlooks the ocean and it just seems like they could have done a little better job on a sexier atmosphere.

But again, that is getting way too picky and just sharing some generic thoughts. Overall, we definitely enjoy it (although not as much as Pearl).
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 23 Jul 2021

Postby rocks6 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 pm

beachnbaja wrote:We agree with the poster above. Suki is good. It is not "great" but there are some really good options. This is getting a little too picky (and doesn't matter much) but we are not huge fans of the decor in there. It feels a little like a hotel lounge (or a cruise ship lounge). It is in a great location and overlooks the ocean and it just seems like they could have done a little better job on a sexier atmosphere.

But again, that is getting way too picky and just sharing some generic thoughts. Overall, we definitely enjoy it (although not as much as Pearl).

Thank you for your comments. We had a very nice evening and meal when it was Unik. I guess mostly for the view. Looking out the window at dusk was very memorable for us.
rocks6
Desire Fan

Postby TandD » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 pm

rocks6 wrote:
Thank you for your comments. We had a very nice evening and meal when it was Unik. I guess mostly for the view. Looking out the window at dusk was very memorable for us.

Agreed. Our first time "upstairs" was when it was Unik and we absolutely loved it. It was just dusk and the views and the atmosphere were magical. Every time since then, in its different incarnations, has not lived up to the first time, which is sad but also understandable I suppose. The last time we were there, they were converting it to Suki and there was a temporary Suki down by the spa. The meal was good but the location was meh. We'll give it another go in December - always looking to re-live that first time!
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby The J's » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 am

We loved Unik! There were so many amazing (and unique!) items on that menu. The wings, octopus, osso buco... It was our favorite restaurant.

To be honest when Suki came in we did not like it (the temp location was also bad). However, out trip in April surprised us! We really enjoyed the food. The flavor was stepped up a notch. I can't recall exactly what we ordered but we agreed that it was much improved.
KIK: JLCLV
The J's
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 14 Aug 2020

Postby divenhike2002 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 pm

We ate at Suki twice last week and enjoyed it. Not the greatest but very good compared to what we have had in the past in Mexico. We ate at Pearl once and found the decor somewhat gaudy (like the old fine dining at Grand Lido, made me thinkof a Paris brothel with all the red!). Spring rolls, Vietnemes rolls, the salmon and the beef dish were all very good as well as the soups. Deserts not so much.
divenhike2002
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 0- 6-2121

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl