Tips and Reservations

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Tips and Reservations

Postby starsdtx » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:51 am

A newbie question: We have been to several other all inclusive resorts where tips are said to be included but we always tip anyway for those who help with food, drinks, chairs, etc. Since we are not members at Desire, I read in reviews that reservations and chairs are sometimes hard to get. Is there any particular person we should tip more generously to help get restaurant reservations and sitting places? Does tipping the concierge extra help, or are the hosts at the restaurants allowed to make reservations for future nights if tipped?

Also, are the steam room, sauna, and indoor hot tub mixed gender so we can go together?
Thanks for all the great info on this forum.
starsdtx

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 10 Dec 2021

Re: Tips and Reservations

Postby SusanAndDavid » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:59 am

We always tip, as you will find the folks go out of their way to make your stay flawless. Tip the pool attendants daily- that helps. Having money for bartenders and wait staff is a wise move too. As everyone is different, I suggest doing what’s comfortable to you as far as amounts.

Yes the sauna and steam are coed so you can go in together as clothed or not as you’d like. We do a steam daily to start the day.
KIK: DocHoliday660
RM- May 18-26 2023
RM- July 14-22, 2023
RM- Dec 16-22, 2023
SusanAndDavid
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 18 May 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: C4P

Postby SteelerLand58 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:00 pm

Can we assume tipping in US dollars is ok and desired?
SteelerLand58
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 22 Feb 1922

Postby nokidclub » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:40 pm

SteelerLand58 wrote:Can we assume tipping in US dollars is ok and desired?

Yes, the US dollar is common at Desire and for USA Transfers.
Nokidclub on Kasidie, SLS, kik
nokidclub
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 31 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby SerendipityCouple » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:21 am

SusanAndDavid wrote:We always tip, as you will find the folks go out of their way to make your stay flawless. Tip the pool attendants daily- that helps. Having money for bartenders and wait staff is a wise move too. As everyone is different, I suggest doing what’s comfortable to you as far as amounts.

Yes the sauna and steam are coed so you can go in together as clothed or not as you’d like. We do a steam daily to start the day.

We agree with you on everything regarding tipping, we make the rounds when we arrive with the pool attendants, servers, and bartenders. And then when we dine.

Question about the steam rooms at Pearl. We enjoy going to the steam room to start our day as well. One thing always leads to another and we have fun while we are in there. With the exception of our last stay in December at DRM, no one has ever been in the room at the same time. Are the steam rooms popular with guests at Pearl? If so, is fooling around in the steam room frowned upon? We never like to assume anything.
DRM Jan 21, Jun 21, Dec 21, Aug 22, Dec 22, Aug 23, Jan 24, Jun 24
DP Mar 22
SerendipityCouple
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 17 Jan 2024

Postby MadMartigan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:37 pm

We're somewhat newbys when it comes to travelling, and have never been to Desire before.

I understand that tipping in US dollars is the norm, but what is the normal amount? Do you go off a percentage of the value for each drink (10%, 15%, 20% etc) or is it more of a flat rate?

On a related note, how much cash should we ensure to have on hand during our stay (not including extra excursions, massages, or other upsell offers)?

Thanks all,
MadMartigan
Desire Convert

We are from: Canada
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby Orcowgirl » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:54 pm

We tip $5 for breakfast, $1 per drink (we don't drink during the day until the hot tub) $5 everyday on the bed in the room, $10 for room service, etc.....
Since 2017
Pearl 25+
RM 7+
Grande Michas 2
KIK Orranchcouple
Orcowgirl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 11 Apr 2024

Postby eddieandjojo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:58 am

So, tipping in USD is absolutely fine but we always get MXN pesos at an ATM at the airport or on the way to the resort.....easier for me/them to tip in their home currency! My $.02.....
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Cheers2US » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:44 am

SerendipityCouple wrote:....
Question about the steam rooms at Pearl. We enjoy going to the steam room to start our day as well. One thing always leads to another and we have fun while we are in there. With the exception of our last stay in December at DRM, no one has ever been in the room at the same time. Are the steam rooms popular with guests at Pearl? If so, is fooling around in the steam room frowned upon? We never like to assume anything.

I think it might be that not everyone knows about it? We've been to Desire about 8 times total between the 2 of them and we only found out about the steam room/sauna on our last visit on our 3rd to last day. We were so sad we had missed out on all the prior trips!

To be honest, no one ever really told us about the steam room/sauna; we just one day decided to ask a staff member and they directed us.
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby SecretSmileToday » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:12 am

We tip $5 each for breakfast, lunch, and $10 for dinner. 5/day for housekeeping and 5 once when we first go to a bar during the day (no pockets so tipping each drink seems impractical). 5 to the folks who set up daybeds and 20 once or twice during the trip to the butler.

All told we budget about 500 in tips for a trip; works for us but never got the sense service would be worse without tips

Last trip (our third) we went converted to pesos (100 pesos = about 5 usd), but none of the staff we asked said it was better, so we won’t bother converting away from usd this time
Pearl 12/22
Pearl 3/21
Pearl 8/19
Pearl 6/18
SecretSmileToday on Kasidie and sls
SecretSmileToday
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 18 Jun 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby Lakeozarkcouple » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:17 am

SecretSmileToday wrote:We tip $5 each for breakfast, lunch, and $10 for dinner. 5/day for housekeeping and 5 once when we first go to a bar during the day (no pockets so tipping each drink seems impractical). 5 to the folks who set up daybeds and 20 once or twice during the trip to the butler.

All told we budget about 500 in tips for a trip; works for us but never got the sense service would be worse without tips

Last trip (our third) we went converted to pesos (100 pesos = about 5 usd), but none of the staff we asked said it was better, so we won’t bother converting away from usd this time

You described our tipping plan so close that i checked to see if i had written it.

Regards,

John and Trish
Kik: lakeozarkcouple1
SLS: lakeozarkcouple
Kasidie: Lakeozarkcouple
C4P: Lakeozarkcouple
Lakeozarkcouple
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 08 Mar 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS C4P kasidie

Postby MadMartigan » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:26 pm

Thank you all so much for the breakdowns for tipping best practices. All the responses were very helpful.
1st trip 2022-Aug-17_24
2nd trip 2022-Dec-21_28
3rd trip 2023-Aug-23_28
MadMartigan
Desire Convert

We are from: Canada
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby spanky67 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:24 pm

Just came back yesterday. Would parrot most of what everyone has said.

I took $500...should've taken a bit more...but not too much more

2-50's
5-20's
10-10s
20-5's
80-1's

We had a butler...actually 2. If you have one, they are SUPER helfpful with restaurants. 50's were for them
Didn't do too much with the 20's. Actually wound up getting change to smaller bills when those started to run out
10's were for dinner and pool/guy. They can also make your trip much easier. Go early in the morning...8am-ish if possible. I went to gym so swung by pool, tipped...got chairs...went to gym
5's were for maid and drink tipping depending on drink order. We drank a ton...and our drink orders got more intricate as the trip progressed. When the pool guy makes you a half frozen margarita and half frozen daquiri, a couple singles just don't seem adequate.
1's were for breakfast...it's buffet and they honestly don't do much. They're super nice...they just don't do a whole lot...left $3 there. Also for basic drink orders. LOTS of Tekate light, so thats a buck or 2 in my book

When we go back in December, I will probably up that by a hundred or so...and definitely more 1's and 5's

Pro tip...when (notice I did not say if :) )you go to jacuzzi, tip the bartender a 5 or 10 upfront. They WILL remember you. MOST important...even if you don't get naked...where are you keeping dry money?? Exactly! Tip upfront and you won't have to worry about cash.

Just my $.02...ymmv
spanky67
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 07 Jun 2022

Postby Lakeozarkcouple » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:57 pm

spanky67 wrote:Just came back yesterday. Would parrot most of what everyone has said.

I took $500...should've taken a bit more...but not too much more

2-50's
5-20's
10-10s
20-5's
80-1's

We had a butler...actually 2. If you have one, they are SUPER helfpful with restaurants. 50's were for them
Didn't do too much with the 20's. Actually wound up getting change to smaller bills when those started to run out
10's were for dinner and pool/guy. They can also make your trip much easier. Go early in the morning...8am-ish if possible. I went to gym so swung by pool, tipped...got chairs...went to gym
5's were for maid and drink tipping depending on drink order. We drank a ton...and our drink orders got more intricate as the trip progressed. When the pool guy makes you a half frozen margarita and half frozen daquiri, a couple singles just don't seem adequate.
1's were for breakfast...it's buffet and they honestly don't do much. They're super nice...they just don't do a whole lot...left $3 there. Also for basic drink orders. LOTS of Tekate light, so thats a buck or 2 in my book

When we go back in December, I will probably up that by a hundred or so...and definitely more 1's and 5's

Pro tip...when (notice I did not say if :) )you go to jacuzzi, tip the bartender a 5 or 10 upfront. They WILL remember you. MOST important...even if you don't get naked...where are you keeping dry money?? Exactly! Tip upfront and you won't have to worry about cash.

Just my $.02...ymmv

Only reason to wear a ballcap into the hit tub is to have a place to stash tip cash.
Kik: lakeozarkcouple1
SLS: lakeozarkcouple
Kasidie: Lakeozarkcouple
C4P: Lakeozarkcouple
Lakeozarkcouple
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 08 Mar 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS C4P kasidie

Postby m43999 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:15 pm

We tip much like everyone else has said - 20 for driver, 20 pool attendant and a few 5's through the week, 5 for server every other round, 5 daily for housekeeping.

One thing that i will say about taking Pesos - they are a kind of plastic feeling (laminated?) currency that wont be saturated by water. I just throw them in any pocket that I can find and don't have to worry about them getting wet.

M&E
m43999

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl