Recent Changes at Pearl

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Recent Changes at Pearl

Postby beachnbaja » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:41 pm

We just thought it might be helpful to highlight/discuss some of the recent changes at Pearl for those interested:

- Mansions = The new Ocean-View Mansion rooms are gorgeous. The positive is that they have an Ocean View. The negative (or positive if you prefer to be on your own) is that they are separated from any other benefits of the Mansions: Bar, Pool, Playroom, Dining Room, etc. But they did a beautiful job on these.
Speaking of the Mansions Dining Room....it is so perplexing to me that this is what Desire offers. It is a room with zero ambiance whatsoever. No music. No lights. Very little decorations. The service is fine. The food is no better than Pearl. Unfortunately, the Mansions are consistently sold out so this will not likely be something they put more money into. But, for those paying the high price tag of those rooms, they REALLY should invest more into the dining experience there.

- Dining Reservations = Not sure how long this has been "new" (new for us) but they are no longer offering reservations for dinner. This has now become a perk of membership. This has its positives and negatives. The good news (for non-members) is there is no more running to breakfast at 7am to get a decent reservation time. The bad news is that you could wait for an hour or more during rush hours. For most, the wait should be minimal. But there were times where people were waiting (frustratedly) for a while. In our opinion, this is actually the biggest frustration we have with Desire Pearl. They almost never tell newbie couples they need to make a reservation. And they are left to fend for themselves or hear it on Day 3 from someone else. Without this Forum, we would have had no clue on our first trip. The food is good (mixed). The service is outstanding. But the communication about all of this is awful. We just think they need to do a better job on this entire area for new couples to have the best experience possible.

- Beach/Pier = Pier is completed and is gorgeous. It looks much stronger now. Beach was the worst we have seen it but did improve every day. This isn't their fault but almost no one used the beach beds during the day (they were never full in the past....but always 2-3 were being used). The water just looks so brown so I just think it isn't appealing to most.

- Staff = We have noticed a LOT of staff changes since our last time there. Not sure what has led to this. Not sure it matters as service is still very good....but it was noticeable. And maybe for the first time ever some of the service was spotty and inconsistent. We have never waited for water in Aphrodite at lunch and had to ask every single time for a refill.

- Sales Pitch = Maybe this is just us....but boy has this gotten better. It is still annoying they do it at all. Especially right when you check in. And maybe this is simply because we have never gone and always say no. So they just stopped trying. But, we are grateful that they have made it much more enjoyable to check in. We barely even roll our eyes now. We joke with the lady....tell her we understand she's doing her job...but that we just aren't interested. And we have the same answer to the "Why" question every time. "We would rather be naked with naked people than clothed in a room with you." And they laugh and tell us to go have fun.
We have often thought that a better approach to this (than your first impression upon arrival) would be to walk around like the spa staff does and offer free massages or services. If they came up casually after a few days and asked if you were interested in a free massage....and then explained the catch....it might go over much better. They know their stats, but it would SURE help how people feel upon arrival.
The only method that would truly work on us if they ever did it would be a special dinner (similar to the wine dinner) to make the presentation to a group. Doubt they ever will do this since it is probably not as effective. But, we would go to that if we knew the food/wine was really good.

Anyways, just thought some would like to know or hear some of the more recent changes and some thoughts on them. YMMV.
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 23 Jul 2021

Re: Recent Changes at Pearl

Postby Tex_cpl » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm

We arrived at Pearl today and are experiencing the changes to their policies. This is our 6th (I think) time to Pearl. The first change we experienced was to the dinner reservations. We were told that we don’t need to make reservations for dinner, so when we showed up to Pearl restaurant we were surprised to see a list of names at the host’s stand. It turns out you can make reservations if you are a member but if not you can’t make one. You just have to hope for an opening or no show. This doesn’t sit well with me. I didn’t want to come on vacation and be treated like a second class citizen.
After being told the wait time was an hour at Pearl, we went to Suki. Luckily they squeezed us in to a busy room, but it was loud and frantic. In the past I have always enjoyed the personal service from the wait staff, and they tried their best tonight, but through no fault of theirs it was a frazzled, hurried experience. I think the staff here is amazing, and this is not an indictment of them. They were doing their best to make it a good experience. But the place was too packed.
It feels like corporate America is invading our favorite Mexican vacation spot. Hopefully the next few nights will be a better experience.
Tex_cpl

Postby Johnwal » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:59 am

Totally agree with the reservation comments. We arrived for our second trip as non members and weren't told about the reservations issue that had changed over the past year. In fact the first night we arrived there was a partial takeover, Aphrodite was closed and the takeover had booked Pearl, leaving only Suki available. As non members there was no way of getting a table. We were told we could either eat in our room or go out of the hotel ( which others actually did). Although the hotel have apologised for this it wasn't a good start.

We were told later in the trip that there were only minimal reservation slots and weren't required anyway as you could turn up at the restaurant and at worst would have to wait a short time for a table. This was causing some annoyance.

We actually became members half way through the trip and the difference was chalk and cheese. Message the butler to book a table whatever time you want and it was done. The same with sun loungers by the pool, once you have that purple towel better loungers are suddenly found.

It made financial sense for us to become members and it is a nice touch having some perks in return for the membership but when this causes a 'them and us' situation It feels uncomfortable. Everyone pays a premium to vacation at desire and deserve the same high level of service. In some ways it does feel as though they are heading down a members only route.

Regarding the service, Suki felt incredibly crowded and noisy this year, food was great and service was excellent as always but it seemed as if there where more big tables which raised the volume to the point that sometimes it was a little like a cattle market. Aphrodite was different, the service was noticeably poorer. Food ordered off the menu at lunch took an extraordinary long time to arrive and on two occasions never did and the general service at breakfast and lunch was slow.

Hopefully these are just blips, and maybe it was down in some way to the partial take-over?? Although apart form the pearl takeover you couldn't have noticed there was one. We love Pearl but we're going to give it a miss for a couple of years and try DR and RM once the renovations are completed. Its still a wonderful place and the staff are fantastic as always, we met and made great friends, guests and staff alike and we were sad to leave, so don't let any comments put any first timers off, they are just observations.
kik:johnwal09
Pearl, Cruise ,RM & GM vetrans
next trip..who knows..Depends if Premier answer emails!!
Johnwal
Desire Lover

We are from: UK
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: fabswingers

Postby tj71903 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:42 am

We opened the new Mansion rooms in July (ribbon cutting and everything) and have reservations in them going forward as well (beginning next Wednesday for the next one). They are very nice and I adore the separation from the rest of it. You haven't lived until some tragic case can't hold their liquor and is crooning in the pool at 2AM. You can still use the Mansion amenities but the separation is terrific, though as you say that may just be a preference. Plus you have your own in-room premium stocked bar in the new ones.

The dining room is what you make it. We've had music in there for group dinners, we've had lighting done, and we generally we ask for the head chef to make us authentic Mexican cuisine. It's a wonderful evening and it totally beats their take on French or Italian which is what Pearl alternates between. Agree they could spice up the regular experience here and there, but again it is what you make of it.

No idea on reservations as the butlers always take care of that for us. That being said from a sheer logistical point of view they should absolutely attempt to herd the guest into the proper places for volume, etc. Letting them fend for themselves isn't going to do that and will create a lot of backlog.

They are definitely handcuffed by the beach and tides and seaweed. We only ever go for beach volleyball. Plenty of other beaches in the world for pretty beach hopping.

Staff is being shuffled between the three resorts and several have accepted contracts for the new resort as well.

The recruiting/sales pitch has finally hit an end point for us (thankfully) as we're no longer in the market for another contract or upgrade. I don't mind the negotiations but after the first one I told them stop the car salesman schtick ("let me talk to my boss"). Give me your best and final and then give me the person who actually makes the decisions. Went smoothly from there.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Postby beachnbaja » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:41 am

Totally forgot to mention that about breakfast and lunch. We have no idea why but ordering something took FOREVER this year. It almost seemed like they were trying to get you to stop ordering and just use the buffet.
Room service for breakfast was also wildly inconsistent. The first order was terrific. Arrived after 30 minutes and everything was perfect. The 2nd order took 1 hour and 37 minutes. And they somehow doubled every single plate (which is better than missing something but felt odd leaving that much un-eaten food).

Definitely agree with the comment above about them moving toward members only. Our biggest issue with this is that we simply love Pearl. And we want others to love it as well. But if new couples come there for the first time (clearly as non-members), they will very likely experience some serious frustrations. This will inevitably lead to an older and older clientele of members only which no one wants (I think we all appreciate the diversity of ages). I am glad they are treating members well. They have put up the money and should be treated well. But, not at the sacrifice of non-members having a frustrating time after paying $600+ a night for a vacation.

We should say....there are ways around all of this for non-members if you know the right people and tip them well. But that is simply something that most newbies will never know to do (or to whom to do it).
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

Postby beachnbaja » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:48 am

I do want to add for anyone looking to go to Pearl and reading these posts.....

We also experienced some of the youngest and most fun crowd we have ever had at Pearl. The dance floor was simply amazing every night. There is still so much good to be found.

We just really want every new couple that comes there to experience the same Pearl magic we did our first trip there. They won't if they are forced to eat in Aphrodite every night.

Frankly, they really, really need another restaurant somewhere (and raise the quality of food at Aphrodite for dinner). They are definitely a bit space-locked at the moment but it would be fantastic to have a Tulum-style restaurant in more of an outdoor setting somewhere.
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

Postby ninaandfrank » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:33 pm

Nina and I were planning to make our first visit to Pearl for this Christmas. We booked a Penthouse passion suite. After readint the above comments I am seriously thinking about canceling. Even a stay-cation sounds better. Both Nina and I are diabetics and need to eat at reasonable times. Having to wait over an hour or (gasp) being told to go out of the "all-inclusive" resort isn't appealing. I don't have issues with Original moving the resort(s) to a members only policy but after speaking directly to the resorts several times that was never even hinted at. I hope I am wrong.
Some are reigniting the flame. Ours never burned out. Just dumping gas on it!
ninaandfrank
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 29 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby beachnbaja » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:47 pm

ninaandfrank wrote:Nina and I were planning to make our first visit to Pearl for this Christmas. We booked a Penthouse passion suite. After readint the above comments I am seriously thinking about canceling. Even a stay-cation sounds better. Both Nina and I are diabetics and need to eat at reasonable times. Having to wait over an hour or (gasp) being told to go out of the "all-inclusive" resort isn't appealing. I don't have issues with Original moving the resort(s) to a members only policy but after speaking directly to the resorts several times that was never even hinted at. I hope I am wrong.

Just our two cents: Don't cancel. You will still have a lovely time. Especially in the Suite. Upon arrival, a Butler will greet you to your room. Tell him this is a concern of yours and you almost canceled. Pull out a $20 or a $50 and ask him if he can alleviate your concerns. And then tell him what time you want to eat every night. And then show up at said time.

It is also worth adding that if you eat before 7pm....this is likely not going to be an issue. The wait times are primarily between 7-8:30.
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

Postby ninaandfrank » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:09 pm

Thanks for "talking me off my ledge". That is good advise and we will take it.

thanks

Frank
beachnbaja wrote:
ninaandfrank wrote:Nina and I were planning to make our first visit to Pearl for this Christmas. We booked a Penthouse passion suite. After readint the above comments I am seriously thinking about canceling. Even a stay-cation sounds better. Both Nina and I are diabetics and need to eat at reasonable times. Having to wait over an hour or (gasp) being told to go out of the "all-inclusive" resort isn't appealing. I don't have issues with Original moving the resort(s) to a members only policy but after speaking directly to the resorts several times that was never even hinted at. I hope I am wrong.

Just our two cents: Don't cancel. You will still have a lovely time. Especially in the Suite. Upon arrival, a Butler will greet you to your room. Tell him this is a concern of yours and you almost canceled. Pull out a $20 or a $50 and ask him if he can alleviate your concerns. And then tell him what time you want to eat every night. And then show up at said time.

It is also worth adding that if you eat before 7pm....this is likely not going to be an issue. The wait times are primarily between 7-8:30.
Some are reigniting the flame. Ours never burned out. Just dumping gas on it!
ninaandfrank
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 29 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby WICouple » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:43 pm

Wouldn't the restaurants be easier to manage by using a reservation system? Will be at Pearl in 3 weeks. Will see what it is like.
Kasidie - WICouple
WICouple
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 15 Sep 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby beachnbaja » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:26 pm

WICouple wrote:Wouldn't the restaurants be easier to manage by using a reservation system? Will be at Pearl in 3 weeks. Will see what it is like.

They used to. People complained about that as well because Members and anyone with a Butler were able to get the times they wanted. Everyone else had to head to the buffet early in the morning to make one. It was a first-come first-served. And the issue was the same as now: all of the prime times were gone before breakfast even opened (because of Members getting theirs ahead).

Ultimately, there just aren't enough seats/tables for the crowds. Especially now that they are almost always at capacity.
beachnbaja
Desire Addict

Postby tj71903 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:57 am

You'll be fine. You'll have a Butler and they'll make sure it's easy to get reservations. We get down to breakfast every morning around 7:15 and never think about dinner plans until around lunch at the earliest. Just flag down (text) the butler and we're all set. Sometimes there isn't availability but they immediately offer 2-3 other suggestions. Plus, with a penthouse, you can have them set up and serve a full meal (several courses) on your terrace.

Just talk with the butler and/or concierge and you're fine. It's rare they can't accommodate you and if that happens, they'll have several alternatives.

But don't be scared to do a dinner in town one night. Several great options there too.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby denise&john » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:05 am

WI Couple

We will be there at the same time -- September 14 to 20.

Perhaps we connect with a member and get a group reservation. Nothing like having 3 couples enjoying good food and wine, followed by great dancing, and then fun times in the jacuzzi.

We are not members, but if I was a member I would book a reservation every evening for at least 4 if not 6 and then pull along other couples we met during the day for dinner. Just saying.
denise&john
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 14 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby WICouple » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:10 am

Denise and John,

The social media group for the week has a number of members. Were thinking the same thing.
Kasidie - WICouple
WICouple
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 15 Sep 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby tj71903 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:12 am

beachnbaja wrote:
WICouple wrote:Wouldn't the restaurants be easier to manage by using a reservation system? Will be at Pearl in 3 weeks. Will see what it is like.

They used to. People complained about that as well because Members and anyone with a Butler were able to get the times they wanted. Everyone else had to head to the buffet early in the morning to make one. It was a first-come first-served. And the issue was the same as now: all of the prime times were gone before breakfast even opened (because of Members getting theirs ahead).

Ultimately, there just aren't enough seats/tables for the crowds. Especially now that they are almost always at capacity.

There is enough seating to accommodate every guest in every room. The problem is that there is not enough seating for every guest to eat at a specific time at a specific place. I think your point about making sure there's a constant flow of new business is a good one and is something that should be built into the system, however. Can't get new blood if you cut off the appeal for same.

We're going down next week and usually have a chance to sit and chat with some of the brass, I'll bring this up and report back.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl