Working from Pearl (sacrilege, I know)

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Working from Pearl (sacrilege, I know)

Postby tempanon2 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 pm

We’ll be at Pearl for our first time in April. (Cheer!) Unfortunately, I’m probably going to have to do a couple hours of work a day while we’re there. (Boo!)

So, I know this is nearly sacrilegious to ask about working at a resort like Pearl, but it is what it is and so I was wondering about connectivity and culture on that. Specifically…

1. How is the wifi for basics like emails vs. more demanding uses like Zoom? (Anything Zoom related I’d only do from my room)

2. Are there places at Pearl other than our room that work well for something like spending an hour doing email on a laptop? I’m asking for convenience for myself (i.e. the equivalent of setting up at a table at Starbucks with access to drinks and being “alone together”), and for not being a wet blanket for others. (i.e. my typing away rudely reminding others of the outside world).

Anyway, especially if anyone has been in the same boat, I’m curious what you’ve found has worked well for you while there!
tempanon2
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl

Re: Working from Pearl (sacrilege, I know)

Postby eddieandjojo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:15 pm

Don't feel bad, many peeps log on during the morning as the resort usually doesn't come alive till 11 am or a bit later. First off, we usually don't have any issue logging on from our room or patio. If you're looking for another spot, there is a large table outside the Pearl restaurant that is adjacent to the lobby and "out of the way" during the morning and early afternoon. It's conveniently located close to a bar that will serve you anything you might desire.

Hope that helps.
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby tj71903 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:15 am

tempanon2 wrote:We’ll be at Pearl for our first time in April. (Cheer!) Unfortunately, I’m probably going to have to do a couple hours of work a day while we’re there. (Boo!)

So, I know this is nearly sacrilegious to ask about working at a resort like Pearl, but it is what it is and so I was wondering about connectivity and culture on that. Specifically…

1. How is the wifi for basics like emails vs. more demanding uses like Zoom? (Anything Zoom related I’d only do from my room)

2. Are there places at Pearl other than our room that work well for something like spending an hour doing email on a laptop? I’m asking for convenience for myself (i.e. the equivalent of setting up at a table at Starbucks with access to drinks and being “alone together”), and for not being a wet blanket for others. (i.e. my typing away rudely reminding others of the outside world).

Anyway, especially if anyone has been in the same boat, I’m curious what you’ve found has worked well for you while there!

We work every day we're there.

1. Wifi is fine. Depending on where you are it's better some places than others. They recently upgraded their routers and you can easily do zoom calls.

2. We work in the room, on the balcony, or at the pool (on tiny laptop) if we aren't fielding calls.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Postby tempanon2 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am

Thanks for the info!
tempanon2
Desire Convert

Postby lamachs » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:42 am

Good info. Thank you.
lamachs
Desire Fan

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 02 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby tj71903 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:29 pm

Point of reference.

We were in 97 and the speed was 200 down and 35 up
We were in 88 over New Years and it was 90/20 though they installed a relay right beside the bed presumably to strengthen the signal through solid concrete buildings.

Wife wanted me to mention we can stream to a fire stick as well these days.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl