A TAD BIT NERVOUS About SAFETY

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Postby olderII » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:27 am

For several years we have been vactioning at Desire. Sometimes twice a year. At no time have we ever felt we were in danger. DavidD feeling the way you do, you may want to reconsider.
olderII
Desire Devotee

Postby eastcoasttexans » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 pm

For one they have security monitoring the front gate 24/7. They have your name and reservation and you ust give them that when you arrive before the cab or transfer car/bus will be able to enter the property. When you leave the check the info and people leaving and it has to match when you return. They also have people monitoring the beach and pool and everyone has a wrist band so they can pick out non-guests quickly. Even if people are stopping at the beach to "look around" I have seen them run off quickly. The staff does an great job with everything.

If you have never been to Cancun/RM you'll see a lot of police with AK's, Uzi's, FN FAL's and M16's. The Yucatan is there bread and butter and they protect it as it's in their best interest. I'm sure some people have had problems but I'd bet it's all Karma related.

I'd venture a guess as 98% of the crime is not in the Yucatan as the cartels and other "groups" would tend to operate where they can run things and the Cancun area is not one of them. I've been across the globe and the US is more of a concern to me than traveling abroad.
eastcoasttexans
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 28 Jun 2017

Postby Coupleat302 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Wait... You're worried about "riff raff" from Cancun venturing 30 miles down the coast and paying $500/night to gain access to a resort so they can drug and rape your wife?

We don't really know what to say other than.. well, dude.. there's always Disney World.
Coupleat302
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 27 Jun 2022

Re: A TAD BIT NERVOUS About SAFETY

Postby feelsgood » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:13 am

DavidD wrote:My wife and I are celebrating our 10th Anniversary in April. We currently
are planning on celebrating at Desire Pearl. We are not swingers, but free spirited, and suspect we would enjoy the sexual energy of the place.
Anyway, my concern is the safety element. Cancun is not the most reputable of places these days and to make matters worse the police are corrupt.
Searches on the internet surfaces some real life horror stories.
So here is a hotel with new management, new employees, new security,
new bartenders etc. It just seems like a set up for possible disaster. How can one be so sure that we are safe from the Riff Raff that plagues Cancun. How do I know some scum bag is not going to drug our drinks, rob us, or worse rape my wife. While we all are having fun and getting inebriated, whose watching our backs? Who is guarding our rooms? Who is watching the beach side?
Don't mean to be a Joy Kill, but as I said, there are some real life horror stories out there, not just hype, but hard core reality. :shock:

Having just returned from a weeks worth of tranquility there, I would say our concerns are not warranted. Security is on the ball here - we saw a couple of instances where someone would walk down the beach with a camera and the security guards follow them, making certain that they never get a snap off. In one instance, a woman took a picture and was quickly apprehended by the guards, and forced to delete her pics. They watched the beach and property like hawks.
No scum bag ever drugged our drinks (to our knowledge :wink: ) and at NO time did I ever feel unsafe walking around or leaving things in my room. As a matter of fact, I had about 4 thousand dollars worth of camera equipment in my room most of the time and never even worried about it. It was all there when it was time to leave.
We DID encounter the occasional staff member that was obviously not comfortable being around naked people...as a matter of fact, one of the girls that was an EC and showed us around the resort left after Day 2. We could tell she wasn't comfortable from the day we got there...these things happen. There was a bartender or two that couldn't deal with it either, but again, at no time did we feel uncomfortable.
My wife took several walks around the property by herself and I never thought her safety would be compromised.
feelsgood

Postby eddieandjojo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 am

Wow, I hadn't gone into this thread until just now! Holy crap, really, at the risk of beating a dead horse.....growing up in Miami during the late 70's and all of the 80's, living in LA for 2 years.....now that was something to be concerned about!

Real simple piece of advice! Go to RM and Pearl, split your time 50/50 and follow these simple rules. Land in Cancun, get your luggage, walk pass the the time share sharks (you'll know who they are immediately after you get your luggage and clear immigration), jump in your pre-arranged transportation to the resort and don't leave the property until it's time to head back to the airport.....then follow the previous steps in reverse! As was said earlier, there really is no reason to leave the resort unless you are doing some sort of cruise or diving excursion sponsored by the resort.

Been to Desire 13 or so times (have lost count by now) and never once had an issue either en route or at the resort...nothing lost or stolen. In fact, have had sunglasses and bathing suits waiting at the front desk the next morning after "misplacing them" the night before.

Seriously, it's good to be cautious and aware of your surroundings, but you will have one of the most exciting vacations ever and will most likely make some friends that you'll stay in touch with for years, we definitely have!!!

Respectfully submitted!
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby feelsgood » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm

My wife and I also took two L O N G walks down the beach (in both directions) and ran into some of the most friendly people around. Again - never felt threatened at all...peaceful and enjoyable!
feelsgood

Previous

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl