Newbies with questions

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Newbies with questions

Postby E&Ptoexplore » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:32 am

We are going to Pearl for the first time, and also the first time to a resort of this type. Very excited and have a few general questions. First is there cell service so we can keep in touch back home without going through the hotel phone system. Next, I always worry about eating raw vegetables, drinks with ice etc. in Mexico due to the water issues, is Pearl americanized to the point that you don't have to worry about this.

We are staying for a week and can't wait to get there, I hope that the recent bad reviews are not typical of what happens there.

Thanks,

E&P
E&Ptoexplore

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 07 Jun 2013

Re: Newbies with questions

Postby kirkster5 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:58 pm

No probem on either front. We use AT&T and phone works just fine. We do pay $5 for a Mexico plan and that cuts the cost of the calls by 50%. Texts are 50 cents each.
As for the fruits/vegtables/ice all are fine. I do not drink the water out of the room tap(they provide bottled water in your fridge) but I do not hesitate to have it with meals and have never had a problem.
kirkster5
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 13 Nov 2016

Postby NCVETTE » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:19 am

Is this $5 plan thru At&T? going in two weeks and have Sprint also. Sprints usage is high
NCVETTE
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 07 Jul 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby kirkster5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes that is an AT&T plan
kirkster5
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 13 Nov 2016

Postby C2C » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Sprint does not offer a Mexico plan - ensure you turn your data off. Texts are reasonable, cheaper incoming than outgoing like $0.25/0.50. Data is crazy expensive.

The resort offers free wi-fi so you can use Skype - spotty service in the rooms but fast in the lobby. Other option is to buy a Mexico calling card.
Admin Note: at this time the Wifi at Pearl is NOT free

The water in your room is not potable - use the bottled water to brush your teeth. The resort uses a water-filtration system for the food/ice and rarely will someone get ill. You should be fine!
C2C
Desire Convert

Postby NCVETTE » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:05 am

I am going to set up the sprint phone and AT&T. Don't plan on using them much, also got the family friendly number from the resort.
NCVETTE
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 07 Jul 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby couple469 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 am

we were reading this last post...which left us a bit confused ....there is a note in the middle from Admin...which says says WIFI is not free....will some one please elaborate..so is WIFI Free or is it not free?
couple469
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 27 Sep 2014

Postby NWWACouple » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:53 am

From the official Pearl FAQ http://desirepearl.originalresorts.com/faqs.asp:
DOES THE RESORT HAVE INTERNET SERVICE?
We have wireless internet in the lobby, rooms and pool with an extra charge per night.

Compared to the River Maya FAQ http://desire.originalresorts.com/faq.asp:
IS THERE INTERNET SERVICE?
Computers with high-speed Internet service are available at additional charge, in the computer room in the Lobby area. Wireless service is available in selected areas of the property with no additional charge.

We have not been to either yet, so the actual policy on site may be different, but that is what they list.
NWWACouple
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 28 Jul 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kaside SLS SDC

Postby Do it Man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 am

The wifi at Pearl is free to use. Two different networks, Pearl & Pearl Lobby. The signal strength and speed in the lobby is acceptable if You're not planning to download large files.....

Mr & Mrs Do it Man

:UK

Just remembered - - There is a computer in reception that is available at a charge (sorry, I don't know how much). If You need boarding passes printed then talk to Carlos in reception & He will let You use His computer.....
Do it Man
Desire Fan

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 22 Jun 2013

Postby heavyG » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 am

couple469 wrote:we were reading this last post...which left us a bit confused ....there is a note in the middle from Admin...which says says WIFI is not free....will some one please elaborate..so is WIFI Free or is it not free?

Just returned yesterday from our 3rd trip to Pearl - WiFi is free all over the resort. It can be spotty, and the lobby is your best bet, but I work creating / distributing internet video and had no trouble connecting and watching video content for early morning work meetings. I even did a video chat with a client from the beach.
Will you be there at the same time as us? Don't be afraid to say Hi!
On CD as: heavyG
heavyG
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Swing Site(s) we belong to: CD, as: heavyG

Postby David Donna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:22 pm

E&Ptoexplore wrote:We are going to Pearl for the first time, and also the first time to a resort of this type. Very excited and have a few general questions. First is there cell service so we can keep in touch back home without going through the hotel phone system. Next, I always worry about eating raw vegetables, drinks with ice etc. in Mexico due to the water issues, is Pearl americanized to the point that you don't have to worry about this.

We are staying for a week and can't wait to get there, I hope that the recent bad reviews are not typical of what happens there.

Thanks,

E&P

Back to the hotel phone: The staff answer the hotel phone with the name Original Resorts, NOT Pearl Desire. So it is "safe" to give out the hotel phone number.
David Donna
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 25 Oct 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: cafe desire

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl