Terrible review of Pearl on Tripadvisor

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Terrible review of Pearl on Tripadvisor

Postby SLINON » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow, just read through a really bad review of the Pearl. This person just slammed almost everything about the resort. I know that people do have bad experiences and are upset at something, not necessarily even what they comment on but to say that there is no premium liquor at the hot tub bar and that the bartenders cannot even make one basic cocktail. They also said the food is pretty much horrible and the main restaurant is very tacky. !Apparently there was a group at Pearl that changed the atmosphere to a negative one...that is not Pearl's fault. Sometimes adults behave like children when unlimited amounts of alcohol are available. We have all seen that!

We are looking forward to our trip regardless of what anyone says in any review but not having been to Pearl before, can anyone comment on the premium liquor at the Hot tub bar and is there a cocktail list available?
SLINON
Desire Superstar

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 09 Jan 2024

Re: Terrible review of Pearl on Tripadvisor

Postby CokeMann » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 pm

This may sound harsh, but on TA every resort gets slammed by someone.

Like any review site it's the majority of the reviews that should help you decide how to spend your vacation dollar, throw out the rave reviews and also the ones that are the worst- what you are left with is how the majority probably feel about a place.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby J51 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:56 pm

I saw the review on TA as well. I have read all the reviews on TA and most of the ones on here as well. You can tell who the snobs are, as well as the people just looking to have a good time. Our 1st time at pearl will be in October. We are not in the life style and we have never been to a resort like this but we are looking to just go down there and have a really good time. :D
J51

We arrive on: 23 Oct 2013

Postby Nolaflacav » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:18 pm

I seldom use TA or similar sites and when I do I look for a cross section of replies like others have suggested.

I also look for how management replies to negative comments. Here is one of my favorite replies ever: " sorry your experience was not what you expected. We are not accustomed to having guests with the personality traits your group displayed."
Nolaflacav
Desire Fan

We are from: USA

Postby bsakatm12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 am

I'm typing this while I enjoy the sunrise on the beach at Pearl (yes, I'm bragging a little). I havent read the TA review, but I will try to answer.

My wife has had dirty martinis made with Grey Goose at the lobby bar and the hot tub bar. It's entirely possible that any given bar may experience a temporary shortage of one liquor or another. They ran out of my choice of beer at the lobby bar last night. I tried another. It's also possible they don't stock someone's favorite liquor. I'm betting they don't have annisette or absinthe.

I will wax philosophical (the beach does that to me). We had dinner at the Pearl last night. The appetizer was one of the best I've ever had. The salad course was a delightful treat. The soup was too salty, but edible. The main course, pork with risotto, was very tasty and the risotto was correctly cooked but pork was a little tough. Now, I could choose to focus on the soup and write a scathing review of the restaurant. Or, I could choose the focus on the appetizer and write a glowing review. My point is, ... Pearl does an outstanding job trying to please its guests. You can choose to be pleased or you can be a whiny child. Guess which one's more fun.
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

Postby NCVETTE » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:08 am

You cant please everybody! Pearl was by far the best resort we have stayed at. Top shelf at all bars and if they didn't have at that moment, they would go find it. Food, service, drinks and new friends made our trip the best ever!
NCVETTE
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 07 Jul 2017
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby twomuchfuninthesun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 am

bsakatm12 wrote:I'm typing this while I enjoy the sunrise on the beach at Pearl (yes, I'm bragging a little). I havent read the TA review, but I will try to answer.

My wife has had dirty martinis made with Grey Goose at the lobby bar and the hot tub bar. It's entirely possible that any given bar may experience a temporary shortage of one liquor or another. They ran out of my choice of beer at the lobby bar last night. I tried another. It's also possible they don't stock someone's favorite liquor. I'm betting they don't have annisette or absinthe.

I will wax philosophical (the beach does that to me). We had dinner at the Pearl last night. The appetizer was one of the best I've ever had. The salad course was a delightful treat. The soup was too salty, but edible. The main course, pork with risotto, was very tasty and the risotto was correctly cooked but pork was a little tough. Now, I could choose to focus on the soup and write a scathing review of the restaurant. Or, I could choose the focus on the appetizer and write a glowing review. My point is, ... Pearl does an outstanding job trying to please its guests. You can choose to be pleased or you can be a whiny child. Guess which one's more fun.

Thanks for the real time report,never had an issue with the food when we were there either, how is the restaurant renovation going? we are there in 34 days....not that we are counting 8)
twomuchfuninthesun
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 15 Jan 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: CD spidynjen

Postby werfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:40 pm

As it has been said before you can't please all the people all the time or even some people anytime. It was reported on national news last night about some companies paying to have reviews( good and bad) posted on different sites. A lot of the reviewers have never visited the resorts or used the products that they are reviewing.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby werfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Just to add to our last post, if we go somewhere and we don't like it then we don't go back and rack up it as a learning experience not to be repeated.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby SLINON » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies...Good points by all. I agree with trying to focus on what you experience that is good and what you liked instead of picking apart the one flaw or something that you didn't like. No place is perfect!! Not that I have found yet and don't expect to! Although......I have really high expectations for Pearl! Despite the grumpy perfectionists that write reviews!..

50 DAYS until we have the pleasure of going to Pearl for the first time! :D
SLINON
Desire Superstar

Postby bsakatm12 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 pm

twomuchfuninthesun wrote:
Thanks for the real time report,never had an issue with the food when we were there either, how is the restaurant renovation going? we are there in 34 days....not that we are counting 8)

The Aphrodite construction is still ongoing. I believe I heard someone say they're targeting the first of November for reopening. We do miss being able to dine right on the ocean. It's been a minor thing for us, though.

They've really improved the food in Pearl since we were here 18 months ago
bsakatm12
Desire Fan

Postby lotsoffun » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:19 pm

We have been twice this year and saw improvements on our return trip. We are headed back in December and really looking forward to all the new updates to the resort. Some people expect an absolutely perfect trip where nothing goes wrong - real life isnt like that and neither is vacation. We travel around the world A LOT and we have learned that just being away and being together is enough for us - there have been some awful experiences (not at desire) but we somehow laugh hysterically at them, get a strong drink and deal with it or find a new hotel if its really THAT bad.

We dont come to Pearl for 5 star cuisine or the most luxurious accommodations on the planet, but funny thing is, for as nice of hotels and cuisine we have had on our life travels, we don't even think about that or compare that to the Pearl when we visit. We go to the Pearl for the freedom to do whatever we want and not feel judged, even if our "whatever we want" is really lame compared to other :) We go to the Pearl to be around like-minded couples who more than likely share many of our own life experiences, because hey, they are at the Pearl, so they have to be pretty cool open-minded people right ;-) We go to the Pearl with not a single care in the world and not much could ruin that. Ever.

Is it December yet?!?
lotsoffun
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 21 Dec 2013

Postby SLINON » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:32 pm

What a great way of looking at things. In the end, I agree totally. It's easy to get caught up in all of the reviews especially if you watch for and read each and every one like I do but really, most of the things complained about should not ruin a vacation and if it does then those people are looking at things in the wrong way or just choose to be miserable and disappointed.

It's so true that nothing in everyday life is perfect so why should a vacation be perfect. I think it's because a lot of us can only get away once a year and we have such unrealistic high hopes that it will turn out to be the "dream vacation" we've been thinking about all year but that's really not fair to expect at all.

Thanks for the great points of view here!

So excited and can barely wait the 46 days left! :D :CAN
SLINON
Desire Superstar

Postby OKcouple4x » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 am

We just got back from Pearl last night (sept 29th) - and that review is off. We had quite a few rounds of Don Pedro brandy, Grey Goose Vodka, and Don Julio Tequila in the hot tub. They made us quite a few premium cocktails as well, and other than the occasional bar tender mixing my wife's Purple Rain's instead of letting the blue curacao and grenadine drip down, we had NO complaints. I prefer the other restaurant that is under construction at the moment, but the food was great every meal.
Looking for fun in our travels :)
OKcouple4x
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 26 Nov 2023

Postby SLINON » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Just FYI...must have been something not true or suspect about that review because it is no longer on Tripadvisor!! It must have been pulled by the writer of the review...Hmmm.....
SLINON
Desire Superstar

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl