Drinking wine in Mexico

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Drinking wine in Mexico

Postby PNWcouple » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm

How is the wine that is on the menu? I'm not a wine snob or anything but I do appreciate a nice Cab. For those of you that have 'been there and done that', how would you rank the wine quality? Were they Mexican wines only? If you want to upgrade off the AI menu how much $ are we talking? I enjoy a good mixed drink too but I hope that is not my only option.
PNWcouple
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 02 Feb 2014

Re: Drinking wine in Mexico

Postby heavyG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 pm

The 'House' wines at Pearl are South American (Can't remember if Argentina or Chile?) - not the greatest, well actually sort of poor. The cellar list is Ok, with wines from across the better known wine regions - some are a little expensive, but probably on par with what you'd pay at a restaurant.

On our last two trips we've packed our own favourite wines and brought them along - no problem brining them into Mexico, and the resort is more than happy to store them in their cellar, and bring out the wine you wish to drink at each meal. Found this approach easier than picking unknowns form their list without a knowledgable Sommelier to help us out.
Will you be there at the same time as us? Don't be afraid to say Hi!
On CD as: heavyG
heavyG
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Swing Site(s) we belong to: CD, as: heavyG

Postby PNWcouple » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Okay, thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try to slip a few bottles onto the plane. Do you know if you can buy decent wine at the regular stores there?
PNWcouple
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 02 Feb 2014

Postby heavyG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:56 pm

There are a couple of places in Puerto Morelos... But it's pretty much all 'cooked' just sitting out on the shelves in the heat of Mexico. We had friends buy some on a previous trip, and it tasted like it had been very poorly handled.
Will you be there at the same time as us? Don't be afraid to say Hi!
On CD as: heavyG
heavyG
Desire Addict

Swing Site(s) we belong to: CD, as: heavyG

Postby newbsnomore » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 am

The house Cabernet and red blend were both by Ochagavia from Chile. Both were quite good with any meal.
newbsnomore
Desire Convert

We are from: USA

Postby mrmuscle » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:18 pm

DRM selection of red dinner wines is not very good. If you are prepared to order off the wine list for 30.00 us + than the selection becomes a little better. Suggest you bring a good Barolo or Carmenere with you.
mrmuscle
Desire Devotee

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl