Hennessy and drinks

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Hennessy and drinks

Postby Wish » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Headed to Desire Pearl from 4/27/14-5/4/14. Hennessy is my drink of choice. I doubt that's on the menu. Can anyone who has recently been there help in regards to if they have any Cognac? Also, maybe a list of the liquor they do serve would help. Thank you in advance!
Wish
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 27 Apr 2014

Re: Hennessy and drinks

Postby CokeMann » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Desire Pearl Website FAQ Section wrote:
WHAT ARE THE BRANDS OF THE DRINKS INCLUDED?

Soft drinks: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fresca as well as pineapple orange, grapefruit and cranberry juice.
Bourbon: Jim Beam.
Brandy Don Pedro, Terry Cent, Founder.
Beer: XX Lager, Tecate Light.
Gin: Beefeater, Tanqueray.
Liqueurs: Anisette Chinchon Sweet, Dry Anis Chinchón, Apple Pucker, Watermelon Pucker, Whisky Cream, Almond Liqueur, Coffee Liqueur, Licor de Coco, Melon Liquor, Cocoa Liquor, Campari, Blue Curaçao, Fernet, Cassis, Martini & Rossi dry vermouth, Martini Bianco, Xtabentun (Liquor Maya).
Mini-bar in rooms: Beer XX lager, Coke, Diet Coke and bottled water.
Rum: Bacardi (white), Bacardi (golden), Solera Bacardi, Bacardi Limon, Appleton Special, Captain Morgan, Flor de Caña 7 years.
Tequila: Tequila Jose Cuervo Especial, Tequila Jose Cuervo Traditional Tequila Milagro Blanco Tequila Hundred Years.
White wine: Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
Red wine: Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
Rose wine: White Zinfandel L.A. Cetto.
Vodka: Stolichnaya, Absolut Blue, Absolut Mandarin, Absolut Citron.
Whisky Jack Daniels.
Whisky Scotch J & B, Chivas Regal 12 years, Johnny Walker Red Label.
Canadian Whisky: Canadian Mist.
After dinner (available exclusively on the restaurant's bar and Pearl Aphrodite): Licor 43, Jagermeister, Kahlua, Frangelico, Amaretto, Dew Plum, Courvoisier Cognac.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby Wish » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Thank you CokeMann! Nice to see Courvoisier on the after dinner menu!
Wish
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 27 Apr 2014

Postby 48straight » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:38 am

One thing I dont like at either property is the beer selection, its horrible.

I cant drink those light, bad tasting beers and I dont like to drink mixed drinks all day because I get a sugar overload. It really ruins the fun, drinking things you dont like all week. The first thing I do when I get home is crack open a nice dark beer. YUUUUUMMMMMMMMM!

I have heard other people bringing their own beers to Desire, but for a resort that is very fine in every other manor, why do they have such an awful beer selection?

Perhaps I will have to stop and buy a few cases of Negro Modello and hide them in my room in order to enjoy drinking at Desire. The 24/7 techno music loop gets old too but that is another story. Other that that I have nothing to complain about. :bj
48straight
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 13 Jul 2013

Postby Powderfinger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 am

48straight wrote:One thing I dont like at either property is the beer selection, its horrible.

I cant drink those light, bad tasting beers and I dont like to drink mixed drinks all day because I get a sugar overload. It really ruins the fun, drinking things you dont like all week. The first thing I do when I get home is crack open a nice dark beer. YUUUUUMMMMMMMMM!

I have heard other people bringing their own beers to Desire, but for a resort that is very fine in every other manor, why do they have such an awful beer selection?

Perhaps I will have to stop and buy a few cases of Negro Modello and hide them in my room in order to enjoy drinking at Desire. The 24/7 techno music loop gets old too but that is another story. Other that that I have nothing to complain about. :bj

Last July they had Bohemia Obscura at the swim up bar. Was pretty good....
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby 48straight » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Powderfinger wrote:
48straight wrote:One thing I dont like at either property is the beer selection, its horrible.

Last July they had Bohemia Obscura at the swim up bar. Was pretty good....

Thanks Powder, sound at least the Obschra seems to have a rating higher than "Pabst Blue Ribbon" or "Miller Light" type beers served at Desire.

Here is a review:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57/38284/

4/5 rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is the prize winner of the Bohemia family in my opinion. It goes down smooth for a 5.5% and leaves your palette clean and ready for more. With its overtones of both caramel and toasted nuts, it combines well with its floral and slight metallic taste. If you enjoy a quality 'indio' (a darkish mexican beer) you need look no further. It has a very sweet scent, but its overall finish is very dry and flavorsome. Anyone whom has experienced their fair share of typical mexican beers knows that this is something that is often lacking. Though this is no craft beer, it hones craft beer elements and can be found in most drinking establishments at a slightly higher price than the usual suspects. I first encountered Bohemia Obscura at La Opera bar in Mexico City and it quickly became my go to beer after a long day. It's taste is far more augmented than the usual suspects over at the 15 peso bars that cloud up high volume areas like centro and zona rosa. Overall, when in Mexico, this is the perfect beer to drink when you are not lazing in the sun on the beach.
A quick observation: i have been told by a friend that Bohemia uses artificial colors and additives in it brewing process and that it will give you rather nasty hangover. Though i can advocate the former to be false nor true, i can say that i have yet to experience any kind of hangover from Bohemia Obscura, even at times drinking more than a dozen in one evening.

Sound like they finish the Obscura the same way they finish Quevero tequila, with Carmel. That would explain why the head does not last. The reason why Quevero Gold gives you an extreme hangover is the sugary Carmel they use to give it the "Gold" color. Stay away from Quevro at all costs unless you want a headache the next day. If you always drink silver tequilas you lessen the chance of a hangover. They taste better anyhow. Only Americans drink Quevro.

Thanks again Powder.

Anybody else buy beer locally and then bring it to Desire?
48straight
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 13 Jul 2013

Postby Baja2some » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi I'm a bit confused I thought it was Bohemia Oscura (Spanish for dark ) ...At any rate it is available at Pearl at least it was both times we were there.

The reason you won't find Modelo Negra is it is brewed by Modelo brewing ...In Mexico it would be very rare to find a store or bar that carries both products...Welcome to the Mexican beer wars !!! But a small price for living here.
Baja2some
Desire Convert

We are from: Mexico
We arrive on: 21 Dec 2015

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl