Newbie question

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Newbie question

Postby clivefunguy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 pm

We will be heading to Pearl next month for our first visit. We do have one slight concern though. In some of reviews of the resort we have read, every once in a while we will see a post about "non-members" having to give up their places by the pool/beach for "members". Which we could understand could be embarrassing and frustrating for the couple being forced to move. Is this an issue at Pearl or just a rarity?
clivefunguy
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 11 May 2015

Re: Newbie question

Postby Sugar77 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:27 pm

clivefunguy wrote:We will be heading to Pearl next month for our first visit. We do have one slight concern though. In some of reviews of the resort we have read, every once in a while we will see a post about "non-members" having to give up their places by the pool/beach for "members". Which we could understand could be embarrassing and frustrating for the couple being forced to move. Is this an issue at Pearl or just a rarity?

We're interested in the answer to this question as well, as we head there in June. We're hoping to be able to find a beach bed after breakfast each morning and then move over to lounge chairs by the pool a little later in the morning, where we would stay for the afternoon. Will this be possible every day if we're not members? Is there is certain time we should be at the beach to be able to get a beach bed? how about for the pool?

K&J
:CAN
Sugar77
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 27 Jun 2014

Postby clivefunguy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Good points. We are hoping to hit the beach in the morning, the pool after lunch, then the jacuzzi until supper.
clivefunguy
Desire Convert

Postby CokeMann » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:31 pm

clivefunguy wrote: In some of reviews of the resort we have read, every once in a while we will see a post about "non-members" having to give up their places by the pool/beach for "members".

I'm not sure where you read that this occurs ???

It doesn't as far as I know - there are both beach and pool concierges at Pearl and Desire RM that assign seating for everyone - just check in with them for where you want to sit and they will make sure that you can stay undisturbed as long as you want.
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby Sugar77 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:24 pm

CokeMann wrote:
clivefunguy wrote: In some of reviews of the resort we have read, every once in a while we will see a post about "non-members" having to give up their places by the pool/beach for "members".

I'm not sure where you read that this occurs ???

It doesn't as far as I know - there are both beach and pool concierges at Pearl and Desire RM that assign seating for everyone - just check in with them for where you want to sit and they will make sure that you can stay undisturbed as long as you want.

Cokeman...I read the same in the most recent review of Pearl on TripAdvisor. It says "Only "members" may reserve pool and beach lounges. Even at 7:30 AM with no one at the pool, and all the lounges empty, we were not permitted to take lounges as they were being held for POTENTIAL future use by members. Also, we personally witnessed that on two different occasions, non-member couples sitting on unreserved beach lounges, were told to move so that members could have the lounges. The same "two class" technique is applied to restaurant availability....". Review seems legitimate, but hopefully they have it wrong.
Sugar77
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 27 Jun 2014

Postby CokeMann » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Unless something has dramatically changed at Pearl since my last visit there, I will stand with what I said in my first post - it was not an issue
(the exception being the availability of the few beach beds at Pearl which are held for those who book the Penthouse suites who get first call)
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby J&V » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:31 pm

We are here now and are not members. Yes beach beds are reserved, but Victor does a great job of accommodating everyone. Haven't seen any one removed from a bed or lounge. It's all good!
J&V

We arrive on: 04 Apr 2014

Postby clivefunguy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:44 am

So it sounds like this is not an issue. Thanks for the feedback.
clivefunguy
Desire Convert

Postby Lexi » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Two weeks ago it was go early and tip Victor well. Some we know tipped very well and got "their" places all week. Others were told sorry you can not reserve chairs from one day to the next. We did see one couple get moved from a set of beach loungers due to members wanting those particular ones. They complained to management and were compensated.
Lexi

Postby Bama37 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Sugar77 wrote:Cokeman...I read the same in the most recent review of Pearl on TripAdvisor. It says "Only "members" may reserve pool and beach lounges. Even at 7:30 AM with no one at the pool, and all the lounges empty, we were not permitted to take lounges as they were being held for POTENTIAL future use by members. Also, we personally witnessed that on two different occasions, non-member couples sitting on unreserved beach lounges, were told to move so that members could have the lounges. The same "two class" technique is applied to restaurant availability....". Review seems legitimate, but hopefully they have it wrong.

I read the same review, and I would believe what I read here from Cokeman and others before I would believe what some people write on TripAdvisor. It just always seems like more of a straight story on the forum than what you can trust on the reviews sometimes. 8) Maybe more people who are there now could comment on their experience?
Bama37
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 04 Jun 1919
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby mr.chatter » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Wife and I were at Pearl in Feb. Didn't have a problem getting the same chairs right next to the entertainment staff area.
mr.chatter
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 11 Feb 2014

Postby hoppercf » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 pm

We were @ Pearl early Feb; had the same chairs for five days. It was busy, I might add.
hoppercf
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 02 Jun 2024

Postby BTR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:24 am

Was at Pearl in early March and had no problem with the beach beds. We are non-members. Victor was great and helped us move to new beds as the day went along. We tiped him but only after the second of third day. He seemed to be helping accomodate everyone.
Pearl - March 2014, January 2015, March 2016
BTR
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 03 Mar 2014

Postby J&K » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:51 pm

What if you are staying in a penthouse? Are there specific beds reserved for them? Where are they located? I think we would prefer fun side of the pool but not sure if there are beds there.
Returning to RM 4/9/22 to 4/15/22. Can’t wait!
J&K
Desire Addict

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 01 Apr 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby CokeMann » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 pm

J&K wrote:What if you are staying in a penthouse? Are there specific beds reserved for them? Where are they located? I think we would prefer fun side of the pool but not sure if there are beds there.

As far as I'm aware the only beds specifically for the Penthouse suites are the beach beds, - those that booked Penthouse suites get first crack at them, just have to tell your butler the day before that you want one of the beach beds the following day.
The beach beds are located on the the beach, just off of the pool and face towards the ocean
CokeMann
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl