Shopping

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Shopping

Postby Funtimes111 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:45 am

Where can we walk to for shopping close to Pearl? are there alot of shops and is it safe?
Funtimes111
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 27 Jul 2013

Re: Shopping

Postby Miacpl30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:48 am

Just shop at the airport on the way out for whatever u need. My wife loves the mexican crafts etc there. We have never had the need to leave. Sometime at RM they bring in vendors on one or two days a week. I do know shopping is closer at pearl.
SDC/Kasidie--miacpl30
Miacpl30
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 09 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sdc kasidie

Postby honeycouple » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 pm

We plan to walk into town along the beach one day. Good exercise and meet some locals. Planning to grab some local cuisine while there
Mike and Annalisa
July 19 2014 - Engaged on the Pier
JULY 25 thru August 1 2015 - Honeymoon
Dinner party Sunday July 26, 2015 Desire Pearl. Join us?
honeycouple
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 25 Jul 2015

Postby Budlee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 am

We definitely recommend walking down the beach into Puerto Morelos at least once, during your stay. The weather sorta sucked when we were there, so we ended up walking into town 3x during our week... just to get a little exercise, do some shopping, eat locally. The walk is only 15-20 minutes each way... very pleasant.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby Funtimes111 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Based on the comments we will take the walk along the beach and go to town. We want some souvenirs etc
Funtimes111
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 27 Jul 2013

Postby misl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Funtimes111 wrote:Based on the comments we will take the walk along the beach and go to town. We want some souvenirs etc

Don't forget to bargain with the merchants ;)
misl
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 07 Jul 2015
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, SDC

Postby gaviao » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:43 pm

misl wrote:Don't forget to bargain with the merchants ;)

As a Mexican who understands the situation of the artisans who sell souvenirs at the village of Puerto Morelos, I kindly ask you do not bargain them, because we tourists are their only source of income, and during September to November, the low season affects them a lot.

On the other hand, my wife loves shopping at Playa del Carmen, both at "Quinta Avenida" and the several plazas there. It's a good chance to wear sexy clothing out the Desire environment. An afternoon there worths, and may be a dinner at one of the fine restaurants of Playa. Taxi may cost $30 Dlls each way.
gaviao
Desire Legend

We are from: Mexico
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 29 Jan 2021

Postby Budlee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:25 pm

gaviao wrote:
misl wrote:As a Mexican who understands the situation of the artisans who sell souvenirs at the village of Puerto Morelos, I kindly ask you do not bargain them, because we tourists are their only source of income, and during September to November, the low season affects them a lot.

I'm sort of baffled by this statement. What we saw in Puerto Morelos was not shops owned by artisans selling their own creations, but rather shop after shop of very similar products, lots made in China or Guatemala, nothing unique or special at all. Why is it wrong to haggle on price with these folks? Clearly they expect it, because there are no prices ON the items. You ask how much, they ask how much will you give me... and so it begins. We did visit ONE store that clearly was a step or two above the usual merch. But, the difference was that the items were priced. It's always been my understanding, that if there are prices ON the products, no haggling on price, but if items are not priced, bargain away.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl