Mosquitos

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Mosquitos

Postby RedBaron3 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

My wife and I are considering going to Pearl in August but are concerned about the mosquitos, as she is a prime diner for the little bastards.

How bad are thay during this time, and what steps does Original Resorts take to keep them down?

I know that the area around Pearl is swampy, making it a prime breeding area for them.
RedBaron3
Desire Fan

We are from: USA

Re: Mosquitos

Postby eddieandjojo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 am

It is an issue for some and not for others, we have a steady diet of garlic in our meals so apparently they dont like us....LOL. Seriously, the resort does fog for them in the early evening howver I'm not sure it happens daily. I would definitely bring some repellents to make sure she enjoys her Desire experience......she might enjoy some biting, just not from the skeeters! :shock:
eddieandjojo

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Budlee » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:35 am

Really, the only time, during our 8-night stay, that the mosquitoes bothered us, was at the Suki Asian restaurant on the patio alongside the pond, off the lobby area. They were really awful, but the waitstaff had bug juice on hand for guests. I stepped away from the table, covered myself in repellent, and was able to enjoy the rest of the evening without being bothered any longer, by the buggers.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby tikihutguy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Budlee wrote:Really, the only time, during our 8-night stay, that the mosquitoes bothered us, was at the Suki Asian restaurant on the patio alongside the pond, off the lobby area. They were really awful, but the waitstaff had bug juice on hand for guests. I stepped away from the table, covered myself in repellent, and was able to enjoy the rest of the evening without being bothered any longer, by the buggers.

Good news :D Arriving 8/1 and was a bit worried. I have gotten some Off products that I'm considering taking. They have a fan set-up (I know sounds hokie, but small) which can be set on a table next to you. They have springy expansion anklets/bracelets that are botanical. They also have the Deet wipes (which you can apply to your skin - ugh). All are not liquids so have that advantage :D Not to obsess, but with 4 nights to enjoy want to be ready. Anyone have any experience with these or other products???
8)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby Barerunners » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:06 am

Make sure you bring some deet, my husband always puts it on me first before sunscreen. If you get wet, do it again. Most forget at night at dinner and social gatherings, don't! We bring our own net and those clip ons for the night. You would be surprised how well that works..don't be the gal with bites all over your cute butt!..
Ok, I'll do that....
Barerunners
Desire Addict

Postby Mrladysman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:36 am

Haha hit the pm barebottons ment to put on here thanks for the tip will get deet really don't want wife's butt to get bit :D
Mrladysman
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 21 Aug 2014

Postby maltesefalcon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:05 am

So, last year in Ocotober, we stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba near Playa del Carmen and didn't really notice that the mosquitoes were much of an issue. Is this a seasonal thing or is the remoteness of Pearl a factor?

We're wondering b/c we'll be at DP in October and definitely don't want the bug bites on our bums! :lol:
maltesefalcon
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 19 Oct 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby tikihutguy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Barerunners wrote: We bring our own net and those clip ons for the night. You would be surprised how well that works..don't be the gal with bites all over your cute butt!..

Net :?: She has net "cover-ups", but I don't see those helping :shock: :oops:
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

Postby Barerunners » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:20 pm

tikihutguy wrote:
Barerunners wrote: We bring our own net and those clip ons for the night. You would be surprised how well that works..don't be the gal with bites all over your cute butt!..

Net :?: She has net "cover-ups", but I don't see those helping :shock: :oops:

Mosquito net for the bed. Use the Off clip on inside the net.
Ok, I'll do that....
Barerunners
Desire Addict

Postby tikihutguy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Excellent info! Thanks for clarifying *-:)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

Postby PK North » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Are bugs really that much of a problem that a net is needed in your room? I need DEET daily for work so I'm already hesitant to wear it on vacation (last thing I want is to be reminded of work while at Desire!). ;)
PK North
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 21 Aug 2014

Postby eddieandjojo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:25 pm

22 trips during March, July, October and August......never once had much of an issue with mosquitoes. Not saying that there aren't any, just that it's not been a problem with us and we've never seen or heard of anyone using a bed net.
eddieandjojo

We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Barerunners » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 pm

eddieandjojo wrote:22 trips during March, July, October and August......never once had much of an issue with mosquitoes. Not saying that there aren't any, just that it's not been a problem with us and we've never seen or heard of anyone using a bed net.

Then it must be in your DNA, or you're very fortunate! It would foolish to not come prepared. I get a few every trip, some in places not fun, I've seen other folks get chewed up so be ready.
Ok, I'll do that....
Barerunners
Desire Addict

Postby scdi2003 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:28 pm

We were there last February and NO mosquitoes.
scdi2003
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 08 Nov 2014

Postby bobsharon79 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Had many trips to Jamaica. One of the favorites of the staff was Listerine in spray bottles, drives mosquitos away quickly!!!
bobsharon79
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 08 May 2017

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl