Cell SIMs for unlocked iPhone

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Cell SIMs for unlocked iPhone

Postby ParejaMiami » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 am

I contacted Pearl in order to try and get a "vanilla" phone number to give to the person taking care of our kids, I'm waiting for an answer. I was thinking about taking an iPhone (jailbreaked) with me, and buying a SIM for it. Does anybody know where can I get a local SIM?

thanks
ParejaMiami
Desire Fan

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 02 Sep 2014

Re: Cell SIMs for unlocked iPhone

Postby D&C » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:27 am

ParejaMiami wrote:I contacted Pearl in order to try and get a "vanilla" phone number to give to the person taking care of our kids, I'm waiting for an answer. I was thinking about taking an iPhone (jailbreaked) with me, and buying a SIM for it. Does anybody know where can I get a local SIM?

thanks
I would not worry about the SIM. I took a couple of attempts to get the number, but I finally received it. Just be a little persistent. I received the number from guest.pearl@desireresorts.com. Good luck, and have fun!
:US
D&C
DP 7/28-31/14
DP 7/11-15/15
DP 7/12-16/19
D&C
Desire Fan

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 12 Jul 2019

Postby bb25 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:05 pm

IPhone to iPnone or iPad to iPad, etc is 'no charge' as long as you use email addresses instead of phone numbers, so communicating with our family that has either an iPhone or iPad is easy and convienent.

On our Verizon plan a text is $.05 to receive and $.50 to send. A phone call in and out of Mexico is $1.99 per minute. We make sure to have Roaming set on 'Voice Only' and use only the iPad for sending and reading emails to avoid using up our data plan (which is REALLY pricey if you go over your limit)

Hope this helps! Other cell carriers are likely similar. :D
bb25
Desire Lover

Postby ParejaMiami » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Just got an answer.... they do not provide a "vanilla" number :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
ParejaMiami
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 02 Sep 2014

Postby Miacpl30 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm

We just got back from our fifth trip. We have kids at home as well. At the airport before we take off we turn airplane mode on and turn off data roaming etc. I downloaded skype and call the kids daily that way..usually before hit the pool and after the hottub before dinner. Never had an issue. this last trip we used facetime audio instead without an issue. Never had to make a call regularly and no charges whatsoever. Usually leave phone on in the safe and call back if we missed a call from skype or facetime audio
SDC/Kasidie--miacpl30
Miacpl30
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 09 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sdc kasidie

Postby D&C » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 pm

ParejaMiami wrote:Just got an answer.... they do not provide a "vanilla" number :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

That's strange...We were there at the beginning of the month, and they offered a number. The FAQ page of Desire, http://desire.originalresorts.com/faq.asp, even states:
"IS THERE A FAMILY FRIENDLY NUMBER THAT I CAN GIVE TO MY RELATIVES SO THAT THEY CONTACT ME DURING MY VACATION?
Yes, please send the following information to: guestservice@desireresorts.com and we will contact you with more information and the number that can be used.
Full Names
Arrival and departure date to Desire
Hotel Confirmation Number"

I would contact them again, citing the FAQ page, unless there is something I'm missing with your original question.
D&C
DP 7/28-31/14
DP 7/11-15/15
DP 7/12-16/19
D&C
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 12 Jul 2019

Postby 2curiousppl » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:34 pm

If you're looking for a SIM, I use www.mexicosimcard.com... Used it last year and just ordered a top-up for this trip.
kik: curiousppl2
2curiousppl
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 16 Jan 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: AFF

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl