Pearl Swimming Pool Not Heated?

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Pearl Swimming Pool Not Heated?

Postby BeantownNewbs » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:17 am

I understand the swimming pool at the Pearl is not heated (unlike Temptation, which is probably a cozy 90 degrees or so, unless it's also not heated and was just that way because the ambient temps were so high)...and I realize it can be less than balmy at this time of year...why wouldn't they heat the pool for a resort where so many ppl hang out in and by the pool?
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Re: no Heated Swimming Pool?

Postby danbo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 am

No heat = lower cost. $$$$ rules.
danbo
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 09 Apr 2018

Re: Pearl Swimming Pool Not Heated?

Postby BeantownNewbs » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:28 am

Yes, I understand it's cheaper to not heat the pool. But there are resort standards at these price points -- it takes money to make money -- and warm a warm, heated pool is one of them. Guess it encourages more hot tub use, but I'm surprised and potentially disappointed that the main pool is not heated.
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Postby Budlee » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:56 am

I'd be surprised to find a heated pool in the Caribbean, or in a tropical locale like the Cancun area. I know in, say, Punta Cana, with its near 100 resorts, not a one will have a heated pool - and some of these resorts are quite high end, as well. Having traveled south in all seasons except for summer (November, January, March, early June), pool temp has never been an issue. I'd find a 90° pool to be stifling, when the air temperature is also quite warm. I like the refreshing aspect of it.. so what if it takes a minute to get in....
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby Powderfinger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:20 am

It's like Budlee said...if you go up and down the Riviera Maya, there are very few heated pools, regardless of price point...
RMJan'08,'12,'16,'17Jan/Feb'09,'10,'11Feb'18June'13July'12,'14,'19July/Aug'10,'11,'15,'16,'17,'21Spt'09 Dec'18','19,'20
DPJuly'13July/Aug'18
Powderfinger
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 11 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby nologic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Agree to disagree...

As for prefeence, there ar two camps: people who like to jump into cold pools for the refreshing expereince and people who like their pools to be very warm. Just like there are morning people who like to be up and are chipper at 5Am and night people who hate the mornings. I am in the latter category on both camps.

FYI: the Ritz Cancun has a heated pool...even the lowly Westin Cancun has a heated pool. I think Temptation has a heated pool, but maybe it was just very hot when I was there and the sun heated the water to that a nice, toasty temperature. Sandals Jamaica has heated pools. I have a hard time finding a non-heated pool at a 4-5* resort...and all-inclusives with swim up bars where many people spend hours in the pool...the pool is the center of the experience.

Now, obv this issue doesn't ruin people's experience at Desire, and there is the hot jacuzzi...so, I'm slightly disappointed, but c'est la vie...I expect to have a great time.
nologic
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 21 Sep 2015

Postby couplenindy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 pm

The pool was actually very refreshing once you got used to it! Even with temps in the low 80s...the sun is HOT! Once it gets too cool everyone moves to the hot tub anyway. I thought this would be an issue for me...but I was in the pool every day.
couplenindy
Desire Lover

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl