Drink List

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Re: Drink List

Postby danbo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Seems like Dr Frasier Crane has joined the forum. Pool is too cold and the drink list is unacceptable. Perhaps you should hold off on the negativity until you've actually been there, in a year or so.
danbo
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 09 Apr 2018

Postby Xhibition Lovers » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:47 pm

We have been to Desire before, and although the mixed drinks are fine if you "call" them, we do agree that the wine served is AWFUL (and we are primarily wine drinkers). We load it with ice and at times mix it with juice to make it a more palatable wine cooler. We have been to many, many all-inclusives and Desire has what we think is the poorest wine. We are not wine snobs, but cheap wrought gut is a pretty apt description of their wine. Example: our last visit to "Le Blanc" in Cancun, the price per night was less than Desire and the wine list was extensive, and the choices were incredible. And they didn't squeeze you for more money to enjoy a drinkable wine. (footnote: Le Blanc was just chosen as the #4 best all-inclusive in the world)
We love Desire, and plan to return often, but we think constructive criticism is okay. Food tastes better with decent wine, conversation goes better with decent wine, and satisfied customers increases with decent wine. It wouldn't hurt if management paid attention to their paying customers. We have been in the hospitality industry for years and understand how little things (like providing good wine) can make a big different. Happy customers are important to long-term success. As owners, we always listened carefully to our guests' comments.
XL
And you can leave your hat on! XL
Xhibition Lovers
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 28 Jun 2017

Postby nologic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 am

Xhibition Lovers wrote:Food tastes better with decent wine, conversation goes better with decent wine, and satisfied customers increases with decent wine. It wouldn't hurt if management paid attention to their paying customers. We have been in the hospitality industry for years and understand how little things (like providing good wine) can make a big different. Happy customers are important to long-term success. As owners, we always listened carefully to our guests' comments.
XL

Touche...I am not saying that Desire is a bad place or people don't or can't have a great time...I just don't understand skimping at these price points and think the quality of the products/food/experience should be consistent with the target/marketing, or you end up with missed expectations; Desire is marketed as a premium all-inclusive resort (Temptation is not marketed a the same high/luxury standard).

Premium usually means things like above average alcohol selections, which I think in Mexico would include an anejo tequila, and wine choices, and yes, a heated pool...these things usually go along with nicer sheets/linens, fine dining, etc. The fact that Desire layers a sexual, c/o, theme on top of this, doesn't mean luxury standards can't or shouldn't be maintained and that there isn't a market for this product...

I thought with 88 rooms, that Desire was targeting this audience, but it seems to be skimping in these areas. It's obviously still possible to have fun, but the complaints about the wine are very extensive, and numerous people have noted that the pool is "tool cold to hang out in" in the winter...and that's too bad, because, the pool should be a centerpiece (it's surprising that Temptation has a cozy heated pool but Desire doesn't match that standard, even though it's supposed to be an upgrade across the board).
nologic
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 21 Sep 2015

Postby K&S4Fun&Sun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:07 am

nologic wrote:I thought with 88 rooms, that Desire was targeting this audience, but it seems to be skimping in these areas. It's obviously still possible to have fun, but the complaints about the wine are very extensive, and numerous people have noted that the pool is "tool cold to hang out in" in the winter...and that's too bad, because, the pool should be a centerpiece (it's surprising that Temptation has a cozy heated pool but Desire doesn't match that standard, even though it's supposed to be an upgrade across the board).

I totally agree that a few better standard wines should be readily available. We keep a number of $$ bottles in our wine cooler and like being able to grab a really good bottle with dinner. And, yes, sometimes we grab a $10 bottle because really good wines can come at all price points. That being said...the pool is a different matter. The resort that is Desire Pearl wasn't built by Original Resorts for that purpose. It was purchased and became Pearl. It seems they have steadily upgraded the facilities over time which can be a real challenge to do while not causing too much disturbance for your guests. My guess is the pool will be heated eventually...but it is a massive pool. DRM had a major pool renovation this year, DP some lobby and work on a rooftop eatery. The process of renovating the DP pool to one that is heated seems like it would create a fair amount of complexity but should absolutely be done. Once that was done...perfection ensues. And it is pretty much a perfect place to us already. We'll be going back again at the end of January. The Mrs. and I will come back and add comments on water temp for you then. Coldest month of the year and all.
Have a great day! Hope to see you in the future.
K & S ~o) :US
K&S4Fun&Sun
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby 2naked » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:57 am

I would not categorize desire with other "premium" all-inclusive resorts. That would be comparing apples with oranges. Desire charges about 50% for the facilities/amenities and 50% for the clothing optional part. In other words if Desire wasn't CO, I could pay $375/night for a place in a nicer location with much better facilities/amenities. So, if you want great wine, then go somewhere where they serve great wine. 99.9% of Desire's clientele don't mind drinking slightly sub-par drinks. Don't get me wrong, Desire is head and shoulders above any other CO resort and above ANY other all inclusive but I don't think they intend to compete with places that are over the top in the amenities department that aren't CO.
25 Desire trips since Apr-2011
2 Hedo trips
SLS: WeR2Naked
KIK: Heis2naked
2naked
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS-SZC-KIK

Postby nologic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:40 pm

2naked wrote:99.9% of Desire's clientele don't mind drinking slightly sub-par drinks.

Then they have done a great job nailing the market, although I'm not sure why c/o means people sacrifice their standards...I guess you do if you don't have a choice, then you go and have a blast and just don't think about it...it doesn't sound like there's a better, nicer, higher end alternative to the two Desires.

Assuming the c/o and lifestyle clientele/market are a swarth of the global population at all levels, then I'm think that there would be more than 1% or .1% interested in a more premium experience. But we all know we can supplement with our own booze, and then have been many posts about options, from on-site to duty free, to bringing your own, to local purveyors.

However, I would tend to say that those people who are into scuba diving trips tend to sacrifice or not care that much about resort or accommodations, as long as they get two good dives in a day. Desire is a different kind of diving, but perhaps the analogy fits.
nologic
Desire Lover

Postby 2naked » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:05 pm

I agree with your last comments wholeheartedly. I would rather pay less and you have to bring your own premium drinks than to have everyone else pay more to satisfy the few :-)
25 Desire trips since Apr-2011
2 Hedo trips
SLS: WeR2Naked
KIK: Heis2naked
2naked
Desire Addict

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 01 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS-SZC-KIK

Postby Xhibition Lovers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:16 am

It's not about a cheaper wine in return for a cheaper stay. Desire is quite expensive compared with many, high end, premium, all-inclusive resorts. And, we don't believe it is about paying less in exchange for taking our clothes off. I guess if you use the "settle for less" analogy, then you would expect the food to be of less quality in return for C/O atmosphere at Desire. But, the opposite is true. The food at Desire is "excellente," and is as good as any food we have had at an all-inclusive. We are not saying we don't like Desire. We are merely saying that sometimes management doesn't realize that every aspect of its facility, products and service add to the level of quality. (For all we know, the owners and execs are hard liquor folks and have never tasted the wine.) The same as management puts money into its resorts to upgrade its grounds, buildings, remodel rooms, upgrade linens, add additional facilities, upgrade the pool, enlarge a bar area, use quality toiletries, enhance activities and entertainment, etc. (all which costs money, but increases return on investment), making sure something as simple and inexpensive as selecting a palatable wine, should not be difficult. Example: Using frayed or tired linens would save money too, but not lend to the quality of the guests' experience. (And we don't think that the C/O element is a trade-off, but rather is provided via us, the guests, who choose to indulge in the C/O lifestyle for our pleasure and enjoyment)
It may just be a matter of letting management know that this is an area where they can elevate their level of customer satisfaction. We assume Cokeman and others read these posts. Those of us who make these suggestions are not mean or evil and certainly wish no harm on Desire. In our experience, we have found that all too often, loyal guests are reluctant to express their feelings and fail to suggest points for improvement (for a variety of reasons including not wanting to hurt anyone's feeling or seem unappreciative) and when they do NOT make suggestions, they rob the management of feedback that can be helpful in future procurements. As we stated in a previous post, this is not our first hospitality rodeo and though we are retired from the industry, we still consult and advise, and understand the importance of constantly improving. Uncensored feedback from guests is essential to a strong organization. If fact, regardless of the business one is in, savvy business people know that "to stand still is to fall behind." That is all we are saying. We love Desire, have a ball when we go and are looking forward to our next scheduled trip.
Express yourself freely. Constructive criticism is healthy and it works to everyone's advantage. XL
And you can leave your hat on! XL
Xhibition Lovers
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 28 Jun 2017

Postby CokeMann » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:47 am

Xhibition Lovers wrote:Express yourself freely. Constructive criticism is healthy and it works to everyone's advantage. XL

:L :L
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby nologic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:30 am

Sex and drinks sure get a lot of comments/feedback. Thanks for everybody's input/feedback.
nologic
Desire Lover

Postby EroticSailor » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:19 pm

danbo wrote:Seems like Dr Frasier Crane has joined the forum. Pool is too cold and the drink list is unacceptable. Perhaps you should hold off on the negativity until you've actually been there, in a year or so.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Especially If you haven't yet been there.

My husband is a wine drinker, and thought the house wine was awful. But my dinner outfit was a good distraction.

Ketl One or Stoli? You're standing naked in a pool or hot tub surrounded by wonderful, like-minded people. After 1 drink, does it really matter?

Is the pool heated? When you're jumping around in the foam, the temperature won't be a concern.

I didn't like my room. They bent over backwards to make me happy.

omfg. Life is short. Focus on the positive. Don't stress over the details. The staff will do their best to make sure you have a positive experience.
EroticSailor
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 22 Jan 2016

Postby EroticSailor » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:53 pm

:oops: iPad/Internet issues.
EroticSailor
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 22 Jan 2016

Postby nologic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:33 pm

omfg. Life is short. Focus on the positive. Don't stress over the details. The staff will do their best to make sure you have a positive experience.

Such drama over some simple questions and personal preferences. Don't sweat the small stuff, or the devil is in the details? I'm more in the former camp, but businesses live and die by the latter.

I asked abt drinks, because I have prefs: I don't drink cheap wine or well booze at home and don't want to on an expensive vacation. So, I basically want to know what to bring to supplement for myself. Now I know to bring some wine and maybe a btl of Macallan or buy an aged tequila.

While both Ketel and Stoli are premium vodka, there's a big difference over Smirnoff. Prob can't taste the difference in a tropical drink, straight up or in a martini before dinner is another matter.

If I was just planning on being in the pool for one foam party, I wouldn't care abt the water temp; some people enjoy heated pools more than unheated ones -- that's why so many resort (incl Temptation) feature toasty warm pools. So, I'll adjust, just not my pref.

Overall, I'm sure it will be a blast.
nologic
Desire Lover

Postby CokeMann » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:31 pm

nologic wrote: so many resort (incl Temptation) feature toasty warm pools.

FYI - Temptation does not have a pool heater - it's just the number of bodies it it to warm it up
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby nologic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:37 pm

CokeMann wrote:
nologic wrote: so many resort (incl Temptation) feature toasty warm pools.

FYI - Temptation does not have a pool heater - it's just the number of bodies it it to warm it up

Thanks Cokemann, it was very warm when I was there in August, but that must have been sun-heated!
nologic
Desire Lover

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl