Looking to refine my tipping strategy

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Looking to refine my tipping strategy

Postby TandD » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:16 pm

On our first visit, I took the advice I found here and got a bunch of $2 bills to use for tipping.

On a side note, maybe it's just my small town but my bank didn't have very many. They said they don't "stock" them, they just have whatever people happen to give them for various transactions. They were curious why I wanted so many so I was forced to tell them I was going to a Swingers resort where my wife was going to get naked on the bar and I needed them for tips. Actually, I guess I only fantasized about telling them that...

Anyway, it worked fairly well but it was kind of a pain managing all those bills throughout the day and I'd like to figure out a better way for our next trip.

I know some people give the bartender a large tip at the start of the day so as not to have to deal with individual tips for each thing but I'm kind of confused about how that really works. I may be in the minority but I never really established a "relationship" with a particular bartender(s) so I feel like if I put a $20 in the bucket in front of one guy, when I order the next one from another guy and don't tip him, I'll look like a shmuck - not only to him but also to the other guests at the bar looking at me picking up my drinks. I also don't order all my drinks from the same bar so I'd have to "pre load" each bar that I'm likely to use that day in order to cover myself.

Now I know tipping is not technically required at Desire but I think most of us certainly feel that it's the right thing to do and I want to do it. I just want to find a better way to manage it so I don't have to think about it so much.

So what do you guys do? Am I over thinking this?
TandD
Desire Legend

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Re: Looking to refine my tipping strategy

Postby miranda2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:37 pm

We have always been able to change our larger bills into pesos at the Front Desk.
miranda2
Desire Legend

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 26 Sep 2018

Postby WhiteSands » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:26 am

Who always have lots of small $ bills? The barmen! Just give them $20 or whatever ask them to change it (minus their tip) - no problem!
:UK
72 days of Temptation, 43 of Desire, 32 of Pearl and counting.....
Lingerie Queen of Desire 2013

See you soon!
Follow us on Twitter @BlancoGoGo
WhiteSands
Desire Superstar

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 09 Sep 2015

Postby TandD » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:17 am

WhiteSands wrote:Who always have lots of small $ bills? The barmen! Just give them $20 or whatever ask them to change it (minus their tip) - no problem!

Right, but now I've got a fist full of 1's and no place to put them - that's the problem I'm trying to avoid. Yes, it solves the problem of loading up on small bills and taking them down but I still have to hold them somehow.

I guess this means that I just need to do the "pre-load" tip and just hope that they know I've tried to take care of them. To be clear, there were a couple of times when I *didn't* tip because I had run out of bills and didn't want to go back to the room, and I certainly didn't get a hint of resentment from anyone so I'm probably worrying a bit too much about that.
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby Budlee » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am

I think you're really over thinking it. Keep some small bills with you when you go to the beach or pool - tip the bar waitresses once or twice during the day and you're set. If you swim to the bar, carry a few bills out of the water, and either hand them to the bartender or make sure he sees you adding them to the pot - and again, you'll be fine just tipping the one time. At the hot tub, enter the water with a few bucks in your hand, head right over to the bar, get your first round, make sure they see you adding the $$ to the pot, and you're fine. But, as you've come to learn, the service will be excellent, regardless of when, how, or how much you tip.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby 2naked » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:20 pm

I don't try to worry about who sees me tipping and how much and which bartender. I tip when I feel like someone deserves it... Usually Africa at the beach or the pool service people. The ones who carry trays full of drinks all day. I don't usually tip any of the guys at the bars (except for CiCi at the beach since she works harder :-)) unless the mood strikes me and I have $ with me. They tell you not to tip, they don't expect a tip, and you certainly don't get better or worse service if you do or don't tip. I do tip from time to time but I don't make it a scheduled thing and plan out how to navigate my $1's. Like I said, you don't get better service when you do (unless of course you are makng some special flaming drink request or something), so just put money in the bucket knowing it is going toward their had work without worrying about who sees it or how you will be treated. I have never been slighted or served worse for not tipping. These guys are professionals at what they do and treat us all the same. Don't sweat it so much and drop some $ in when you have it and enjoy the rest of your time.
25 Desire trips since Apr-2011
2 Hedo trips
SLS: WeR2Naked
KIK: Heis2naked
2naked
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 01 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS-SZC-KIK

Postby danbo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:01 am

:L
danbo
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 09 Apr 2018

Postby feverpair » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:51 am

Does tipping for sun loungers bring any benefits?
feverpair
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 16 May 2015
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby miranda2 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:59 pm

feverpair wrote:Does tipping for sun loungers bring any benefits?

What kind of benefits are you looking for? And which sun loungers? Pool or beach or both??
miranda2
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 26 Sep 2018

Postby Budlee » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:53 am

We tip for the loungers because of the service provided in setting us up, providing us with towels, etc. But, at least on the beach, with the bali beds reserved for the penthouse guests, I believe we were offered one of those because we had tipped throughout the week - they are available if all the penthouses aren't booked... and I guess Victor knows which ones are free to offer to other guests. So, yes... a good tip might score you one of the beds.
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby BeantownNewbs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Yes, I recommend tipping Victor at the pool.
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Postby BeantownNewbs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Yes, I recommend tipping Victor at the pool.
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Postby feverpair » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:02 pm

miranda2 wrote:

What kind of benefits are you looking for? And which sun loungers? Pool or beach or both??

I was thinking pool, seem to read a lot re bed availability and towel reservation. So would a generous tip to Victor help with pool bed reserrvations?
feverpair
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 16 May 2015
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby rsm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Tips to the pool staff are a help in getting loungers, and umbrellas ( let them know your preferred area) by the pool. I don't know about the few poolside beds on the quiet end of the pool.
rsm
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 24 Jun 2015

Postby SJCrazy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:58 am

Holy cow, is tipping really that common? I never got the impression tipping would affect my service at all... except for our first trip (Cabo back in '07) when the late night night bartender was a dick and refused to serve us top shelf. I see tipping just as a thank-you for the employees that really go above and beyond, and for them I'll give $20 before I leave. I'm talking about the bartender that always has my drink immediately; the instant my face shows through the door he's making the drink and hands it to me by the time I get there.

I think the major factor in getting good pool spots (aside from being a member or in a high tier room) is being a younger and/or more social couple, and invite the other young couples to come hang out with you. I know that sounds terribly shallow, discriminatory and counter to the inclusive vibe of the resort, but it sure seems true...
SJCrazy
Desire Legend

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 01 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl