WIFI or Cell Service

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

WIFI or Cell Service

Postby rookie0999 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:38 pm

I read somewhere on this forum that Pearl has free WIFI on the property and in the rooms. I hope that is correct. I was hoping to use Skype or a similar Voip program to stay in touch with home (as much as I hate to I have no choice). Since there is no "vanilla" number to leave I was going to ask office and family to email me if they needed to communicate and if necessary I would call them back. Does anyone know if there is in fact WIFI available and is it fast enough to support Skype or another voip program. Also wondering how the Verizon service was and how bad the "roaming" charges were?
rookie0999
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 15 Feb 2016

Re: WIFI or Cell Service

Postby tikihutguy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:51 pm

WiFi is great throughout the resort. Have not used Skype however. We use Verizon and for around $15 you can add Mexico. I hate to do it too, but office can forward any important calls and any personal calls can be received and returned without hassle....
8)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby Bama37 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Agreed. WiFi is good throughout the resort...even on the beach.
Bama37
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 04 Jun 1919
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Miacpl30 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Wifi wrks great. We used skype first few times. Now call home with facetime audio 2x day to kids back home
SDC/Kasidie--miacpl30
Miacpl30
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 09 May 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Sdc kasidie

Postby BeantownNewbs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 am

There is def free wifi throughout the resort, from the rooms to the pool to the beach, and obv to the lobby. We were in a building at the end and the signal/router came in and out...interupting connections, but then it reconnected.

I use AT&T and buy a $30 plan for 80 mins of talk and unlimited free texts. That cov er the half dozen daily calls that to voicemail (min charge is 1 min, even if you don't answer) and a couple of business direct calls. I could have also used Skype from my phone thru wifi and prob paid less...

I also tend to buy a $30 data plan that comes w 120 MBs, but you really don't need that with the free wifi, except off property -- such as at the airport, but I'm increasing convinced it's unnecessary...still, it's only $30 more dollars, and a nice back up benefit. I guess I want my browsing and emails when I want them.
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl