Smoking at Desire Pearl

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Re: Smoking at Desire Pearl

Postby Dani'stoy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 pm

desireaddict wrote:
Dani'stoy wrote:Just returned from DP and there were people smoking cigarettes and cigars at the Jacuzzi tables. Apparently this is condoned as there were ashtrays available on the tables....it sucked but as a newbie I wasn't aware this was a new policy.

I don't recall exactly where the tables at DP are in reference to the Jacuzzi. At DRM they must be at least 30 feet from the beds and from the Jacuzzi. Isn't that ample distance so as to avoid offending others with 2nd-hand smoke? Not a smoker here (maybe an occasional expensive cigar for fun) but other than not wanting to sleep in a stinky room, I don't feel that others who are smoking in open air outside is much of a problem. JMHO

"Do you smoke? Only after sex!" ~ Steve Martin
(My kids would ask: Who is Steve Martin?)

Life is Good!
DA

Tables at DP are only a few feet away from Jaquzzi edge and beds. You can smell smoke from the hot tub.
Dani'stoy
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 10 Nov 2019

Postby hydro_racer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:21 pm

The FAQs on the Desire website now suggest that "Smoking is allowed only in open areas" - which is a pretty big change and for us, not a welcome one. I understand that some will feel this is a good change, but for those with smoke allergies it's a complete deal breaker.

If you are as concerned about this as we are, perhaps an e-mail via the "contact us" page on the website is appropriate.
Last edited by hydro_racer on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RM - '05, '06, '11
Pearl - Jun '17, Feb '18, Dec '18, Nov '19, April '20
Couples Cruise - Divina Apr '15
Bliss Cruise - Mariner Nov '20
hydro_racer
Desire Convert

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 31 Oct 2019

Postby sapiosexual » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm

hydro_racer wrote:The FAQs on the Desire website now suggest that "Smoking is allowed only in open areas" - which is a pretty big change and for us, not a welcome one. I understand that some will feel this is a good change, but for those with smoke allergies it's a complete deal breaker.

If you are as concerned about this as we are, perhaps an e-mail to customerservice@originalresorts.com is appropriate.

I totally agree. We might have to cancel our planned trip this summer. I'll be watching this thread carefully until the cancelation deadline.
C&J
Pearl, July 5-9, 2021
sapiosexual
Desire Convert

We are from: Solomon Islands

Postby ja68 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm

"Smoking is only allowed in open areas"? That would be all areas except rooms...nothing against those who smoke but as non-smokers, we won't spend $5k on a vacation to have to tolerate cigarette smoke from the person next to us while sitting at the pool or in the beach beds or in/by the hot tub. Doesn't make sense why they would do this, in our previous trips there were designated areas for smoking- but this change directly impacts EVERYONE at the resort. We will not be returning until this is changed or clarified. :DL
ja68
Desire Fan

Postby RJOC » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:49 pm

ja68 wrote:"Smoking is only allowed in open areas"? That would be all areas except rooms...nothing against those who smoke but as non-smokers, we won't spend $5k on a vacation to have to tolerate cigarette smoke from the person next to us while sitting at the pool or in the beach beds or in/by the hot tub. Doesn't make sense why they would do this, in our previous trips there were designated areas for smoking- but this change directly impacts EVERYONE at the resort. We will not be returning until this is changed or clarified. :DL

I completely concur. I have checked the FAQs for DRM, and they say the same thing. I've written to DRM asking for their statement on this subject and told them that we will most likely cancel if they are allowing smoking in any outside open area.
RJOC
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 24 Jan 2024

Postby CokeMann » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 pm

hydro_racer wrote:The FAQs on the Desire website now suggest that "Smoking is allowed only in open areas" - which is a pretty big change

FYI - No, there has not been any type of change - that has been the case for many many years now.

You will not find many, if any, completely non smoking resorts in Mexico or the Caribbean.
CokeMann
Site Admin

Postby Beach girl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:21 pm

I will post our experience in regards to smoking while we are there.
Beach girl
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby hydro_racer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:40 am

CokeMann wrote:
hydro_racer wrote:The FAQs on the Desire website now suggest that "Smoking is allowed only in open areas" - which is a pretty big change

FYI - No, there has not been any type of change - that has been the case for many many years now.

You will not find many, if any, completely non smoking resorts in Mexico or the Caribbean.

Actually, when we were there in June this year the outdoor smoking was restricted to specific areas only. Signs were posted indicating the areas and they were used appropriately. It was one of the first things that we commented on during our stay!
RM - '05, '06, '11
Pearl - Jun '17, Feb '18, Dec '18, Nov '19, April '20
Couples Cruise - Divina Apr '15
Bliss Cruise - Mariner Nov '20
hydro_racer
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 31 Oct 2019

Postby Kycouple78 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:03 pm

We just returned from pearl a week ago. The no smoking signs are up but smokers ignored them. This was seriously our ONLY negative experience about the trip. There was a pretty large group that smoked like chimneys everywhere they went. Mainlybat thr pool and the jacuzzi. We actually avoided the bed they used at the jacuzzi all week. It seemed the smokers actually found each other and buddied up for the week. Either that or they came together. It was hard to tell. But it was pretty gross. We were constantly trying to stay upwind of them.
Kycouple78
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 0- 0-2017

Postby LuckyCpl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Just returned from our trip to Pearl. Smoking was not an issue at all. Not even close.
Saw one person the entire trip smoking by the pool, no biggie.
While in the tub I smelled it once but never saw a person smoking anywhere else. Was definitely a non-smoking crowd while we were there, or they were very respectful about it.

Was a fun trip!

M&C
kik: mandcohio
LuckyCpl
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 21 Feb 2024

Postby willijes » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:02 pm

We were the last week of Nov and early in the week smokers were not an issue however the last two days was a different story. There were 3 areas around the pool where people were smoking on their loungers, one jerk was even using his glass as an ash tray. The wait staff saw this and instead of stopping him they gave him an ash tray. The last day we were there at the pool bar there were at least 4 people smoking it up.

Interestingly at the hot tub you aren't allowed to eat by the hot tub and the staff was all over that but said nothing to this one woman smoking on a bed. I guess it all boils down to who is there the week you are there. We wrote on our survey at the end of the trip our disgust about it plus told the lady checking us out.
willijes
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 28 Sep 2019

Postby mrpskt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 am

We were there Dec 3-8. Smoking is an issue. Can't believe the rudeness of people. Smokers at the pool within inches of you. I assumed they were Canadians but came to find out out they were from Oregon, France, all over. Never once saw anyone smoke in the designated area. What a joke to have a sign posted that the whole property is non smoking. Smoking went on at pool, at the entrance to the jacuzzi on route to bathroom, at the Aphrodite outdoor eating areas (there were actually ashtrays on the tables prom outing it). I know it is hard to find true non smoking resorts in MX but they could do a damn better job of it here. Oh, I forgot about the outdoor area in front of Pearl. Disgusting and I will factor it in before I consider returning.
mrpskt
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 01 Dec 2019

Postby Hector » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 am

Will think twice before coming back if the smoking problem persists. To me, smoking smell spoiled the environment.
Hector
Desire Devotee

Postby Beach girl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 am

It appears the management reads trip advisor because they have responded to a couple reviews. I doubt they read this forum, therefore my advice is for everyone unhappy with cigarette smoke to write a review on trip advisor. It will be interesting to see if they respond.
Beach girl
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby RJOC » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 am

Over a month ago, I wrote to "Sales@Desire-Resorts.com" and asked about their enforcement of their smoking policy.

No response from them whatsoever. It seems they do not care.
RJOC
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 24 Jan 2024

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl