Tourist attractions

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Tourist attractions

Postby dfs42 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:39 pm

We are thinking about our first trip to Pearl this summer. In addition to the resort, we also want to do tourist things like see the Mayan ruins.
Any suggestions on tourist attractions - what to see, how to get there, etc?

Also - any safety concerns with traveling outside the resort? I saw the advisory about the increase cartel and murder activity in Cancun. I'm wondering how much of that is visible in the tourist areas.
dfs42

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya

Re: Tourist attractions

Postby SingleMalt77 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 pm

We are going to Pearl for our first time in a few weeks. We both really wanted to see Mayan ruins, so we have a day trip planned through alltournative.com which had great reviews on Trip Advisor.

To be honest though, I'm a bit nervous about the increased cartel violence in the area as well, and I'm rethinking traveling outside the resort area.
SingleMalt77
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 20 Feb 2018

Postby CokeMann » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 pm

There are lots pf things to see on the Yucatan, however my recommendation would be to not waste your valuable and expensive Desire time going off campus - if you are really serious about doing some of the tours that will take you the better part of a whole day then on your next Desire trip come down a couple of days early, book an inexpensive resort in the hotel zone and use that as a base for your tours.

We've been traveling to the Yucatan for over 15 years and as recently as last November still have no concerns about our safety when traveling outside the resort .
CokeMann
Site Admin

We are from: Canada

Postby desireaddict » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 am

however my recommendation would be to not waste your valuable and expensive Desire time going off campus

DITTO!
Go a couple of days early or stay a couple days after the Desire trip, but DO NOT pay for "Desire Time" and waste a day seeing Mayan attractions. BTW -- Evidently all the Mayans ever built were "ruins". Nothing else to see.

Life is Good!
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... Holy Shit! what a ride.”
desireaddict
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 11 Dec 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: c4p

Postby tumbler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Dunno we went to Chichen Itza once, while a long trip there and back, it was worth every minute there, really awesome to see. Got to swim in a Cenote too, that was fun. We left early around 9, and back by dinner. The temp in the interior of the Yucatan was incredibly hot, then again this was July. Be prepared if you go in the summer. Would do it again.
tumbler
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 28 Jul 2019

Postby RJOC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Went to Chichen Itza in February last year. Left early morning, and by 10:00 am it was hotter than Hell.

Go early if you're going and bring hats and water - there's not much shade.

Fantastic trip - but hot.
RJOC
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 24 Jan 2024

Postby isandda » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 am

Chichen Itza is great, the main pyramid is very well preserved and the whole area is filled with very interesting ruins. As the previous poster said it can get really hot there, so be prepared.
We also went to Cobà three years ago and while the pyramid there is in worse shape than CI you can still actually climb it which makes for a very different experience. Once at the top the view makes you feel like you're lost in the jungle. We really enjoyed it. Tulum is the closest one to Puerto Morelos, if I remember correctly. Very beautiful place, the view of the ruins against the sea background is fantastic. It was also very hot when we visited, and there is no shade to speak of, so don't forget sunscreen and a hat.
In all three cases we chose to do the visits while staying at a vanilla resort nearby. Leaving Desire is heartbreaking enough, no need to do it twice in one stay. :D
isandda
Desire Convert

We are from: France
We arrive on: 25 Feb 2018

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl