Beach condition was awful

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Beach condition was awful

Postby livin4fun3 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Just got back form DP . We've been to Pearl twice now and RM 8 times. The beach has always been a negative at both desire properties in our opinion but this time there was so much seaweed it was just horrible. Forget swimming it was almost impossible take a nice walk on the beach. They had guys raking, shoveling all day but mother nature was the winner unfortunately. I'm not sure if this time of year is unusually bad but we think the beach condition might keep us away in the future. Maybe we'll try the new desire in north cancun when it opens because the beach is generally nicer up there. If not back to Hedo where the beach wins , no contest.
SLS: LIVIN4FUN1
livin4fun3
Desire Convert

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 16 Mar 2018
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Re: Beach condition was awful

Postby STL-MO-CPL » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 pm

It's funny you say that about Hedo. We've been twice and we've been to Pearl twice. My wife swears the beach at Pearl is superior to Hedo. The only problem I see with Hedo is that the nude side is kind of small and gets very rocky at the edge of the property. We've actually never spent any time on the prude side beach. I think it's pretty nice, I just don't remember. You also have to take into account the somewhat aggressive sales guys walking up and down the beach in Jamaica. Much less of that at Pearl, however you do have random families walking up and down the beach at Pearl which you really don't see at Hedo. I guess it's a mixed bag either way.
Hedo 6/11 11/13 7/23
DP 3/16 3/17 7/18 7/21 6/22 8/22
DRM 11/21
TGM 8/23
STL-MO-CPL
Desire Legend

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 08 Aug 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie C4P

Postby red88vette » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm

I had checked on line after my last trip about the abundance of seaweed. Here are a few notes I found, I thought they may be interesting to others.

The open sea is like a desert, and sargassum is an oasis in that desert” — Blair Witherington, Research Scientist.

Sargassum is a prime nursery habitat for a diversity of large fish, such as mahi mahi (a.k.a. dorado, dolphin), sailfish, jacks, amberjacks, and turtles, etc.

Where did it come from?
Local experts think this particular bout of Sargassum originated off the coast of South America. When ocean conditions are ripe, pelagic (i.e., living in the open ocean) sargassum can form “islands” a few acres across (3-5 ft. deep). Sargassum can survive a wide range of temperature and salinity; therefore, you’ll find it floating in every ocean except the Antarctic… and (pardon a pun) currently on our shores, plenty of it!

Why so much?
No clear answer! Sargassum reproduction is asexual, which means that every bit of the same species could probably be traced back to its original ancestor; therefore, some consider it the largest organism in the world! Due to totipotency (a cell’s ability to give rise to unlike cells and develop a new organism), when a part breaks away, it’s not the end of it; the fragment drifts and could seemingly reproduce forever. Nonetheless, Sargassum eventually becomes too heavy, less buoyant, and sinks into the deep sea… or goes coastal!

What can be done about it?

Hoteliers and local authorities have been coordinating to remove sargassum from our beaches, either manually, in wheelbarrows, or using different types of heavy machinery. Removing it remains necessary; nonetheless, as this cannot be done without unintended consequences that lead to beach erosion (e.g., removing sargassum removes sand, heavy machinery compacts sand, (this can effect turtles nesting, etc.), making informed decisions about how to manage excess sargassum is equally important – particularly because there is so much we have yet to understand.
2022-Aug, Oct, Dec,
Total-30
red88vette
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 15 Oct 2022

Postby feverpair2015 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 am

We are currently at Pearl and the beach isn’t great. Don’t let it put you off Pearl as it’s still a great place to be, but since our last visit two years ago it really has deteriorated. In fact, I’m sure it’s got a lot worse in the last 7 day’s. People from other resorts walking the beach may struggle getting past at all without steeping over beach beds. If you’re uncomfortable being naked very close to vanilla people and kids then head for the pool. It’s also been a very windy week, so pool was really the only option anyway as sand blows in your face. I would add some pictures but not sure how to from an iPhone.

To give a feel for those who know the beach, the steps to the lifeguard station are in the ocean and the edge of the volley ball court is approx 4 inch’s off the ocean. The beach no longer gradually falls to the ocean, but instead there is a distinct drop off from beach level to ocean level.

We will still return because we love the atmosphere, but it won’t be the beach that draws us. Shame.
Desire Pearl 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Desire RM 2017

SDC : feverpair
KIK : feverpair
MeWe : fever pair
feverpair2015
Desire Lover

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 05 Oct 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Helma » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 am

We are home since couple of days from DP, the beach wad not in Great condition, but we lived the pool, and the cabana area...in 2017 we Where same time, and beach was same condition...so may be the time of the year in this condition ? In our opinion the pool must be better cleaned, after foam party pool was dirty the day after...but the holiday wad Great again, regards from Holland. We come back for sure.
Helma
Desire Convert

We are from: The Netherlands
We arrive on: 07 Mar 2019

Postby willijes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 pm

We were there the last week in Nov 2017 and the beach/sea was the best I have ever seen it. I wasn't expecting it to be nice but it was and I was thrilled.

I have no idea if the time of year has anything to do with it but so far Nov has been good to us and if not, like others have said, we would simply be pool bound, which is still great!
willijes
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 28 Sep 2019

Postby Darin & Melissa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:34 pm

We will be there in 2 1/2 weeks and are hoping it will be better. I always have G give us the palapa to the left of the volleyball courts when your back is to the ocean. I sit there while my husband plays volleyball and relax. I am hoping it will be better when we are there.

Melissa
dmtx on SDC
dmtx1 and mdtx1 on kik
Darin & Melissa
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 09 Jul 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl