WHEN WILL THEY FIX THE MUSIC?

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

WHEN WILL THEY FIX THE MUSIC?

Postby Desire2424 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:02 am

Just returned from our second visit to Pearl. LOVED IT AGAIN! Can’t wait to go back! The thing that drove us nuts was that we cannot understand why a resort that pays SO much attention to details and creating such a unique experience for all, can totally overlook how awful the disco music is! 7 nights of the same songs and worse......just when the dance floor gets going, the dj decides we need to hear the same classic rock songs that EMPTIES the floor every time and destroys the sexy fun.....over and over again! I’ve seen the music criticized here on the forums before but after 7 days of the same thing I had to post this in hopes that the management would finally address this issue.
Desire2424
Desire Addict

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 06 Mar 2019

Re: WHEN WILL THEY FIX THE MUSIC?

Postby reachn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 am

3 trips to Desire and they played the same songs in basically the same order, sadly i don't know if it ever will be "fixed"... i understand they have a very diverse crowd and try to please everyone so they play a variety of music, so at anytime you may find a song or set you dont like.... but to just push play and have the same songs every night is ridiculous! a GOOD DJ feels the crowd and changes his set accordingly... the Desire DJ's push play and occasionally play a request... please try and address this Desire management!
reachn
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 06 Oct 2017

Postby CanadianGirl » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:14 am

We have been to both and it has been an issue at both places. Also, we agree it's a very diverse crowd but as "reachn" posted, they seem to have no feel for the crowd or the vibe of the room that night. I have never been to a place where a DJ can empty a room so fast.....especially a when you have a crowd of people like guests at Desire who are just looking for a good time. I hope this is something they look into but has been an issue for the past few years we have been going there.
CanadianGirl
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada

Postby Desire2424 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 am

I cannot understand why a dj would not play a few slow, sexy songs for a crowd like Desire. Just when things are heating up and we’re doing a little grinding and getting close and sexy........BOOM! Friggin’ AC/DC?!?!?!……really???
Desire2424
Desire Addict

Postby ksr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 am

Desire2424 wrote:Just returned from our second visit to Pearl. LOVED IT AGAIN! Can’t wait to go back! The thing that drove us nuts was that we cannot understand why a resort that pays SO much attention to details and creating such a unique experience for all, can totally overlook how awful the disco music is! 7 nights of the same songs and worse......just when the dance floor gets going, the dj decides we need to hear the same classic rock songs that EMPTIES the floor every time and destroys the sexy fun.....over and over again! I’ve seen the music criticized here on the forums before but after 7 days of the same thing I had to post this in hopes that the management would finally address this issue.

We just returned yesterday from our 7th trip to Pearl (2 to RM for 9 Desire trips). We agree with the repetitive nature of the music and have been complaining for years. Agree that they could take the DJ and crowd involvement to a whole new level with almost no work or effort. HOWEVER, there is hope. Crowd diversity is my key point here. We, on the other hand have complained about the complete and total lack of classic disco and 80's music. During our 5 nights stay this trip, as you pointed out, they played a set of 10 to 20 of those 80's songs--and we loved every min. of it. :) They clearly altered the music from our previous trips to accommodate a wider group of tastes and ages.

So, we understand that every set will not appeal to everyone, but we love that it appears that they are attempting to alter the music format to accommodate a wider group of tastes, ages and music preferences.
kik: KeithandJill
13 DP trips
2 RM visits
1 Hidden Beach experiment
1 Wild Hedo II trip
ksr
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 27 Aug 2021

Postby Explorer79 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Sadly as it is described here is exactly what we have experienced and I have little hope that it will change. They can't "not know' because it's obvious.

As for the diversity of the crowd being a factor, I'll just say that around here there is a small sushi bar, at 10pm they change to dance club format, the room is comparable in size to the RM disco. Basically there is a DJ set up in the corner with a laptop and a small PA. The DJs usually are guys in their early 20s. The age range of the this crowd ranges from 20s to 60s and is far more diverse than the RM crowd. It's not that oh they play disco for this group or 80s for that group..., It's simply that they know how to work a crowd. The music they choose is no magic elixir, it is standard dance club fare, obviously chosen with the intent of getting people on the dance floor, it's clearly not an exercise in trying to play people's favorite songs. It works for the task at hand. I'm sure this isn't the music all these people are listening to when they get home, yet they clearly repsond in this environment. These DJs understand the concept and put it to good use, I see no evidence of this with the DJs at Desire. At this point I have to question whether it's intentional for some reason as this is the most basic skill for a DJ to possess.

Even in this sushi bar turned dance club environment there is more energy with the crowd than at Desire and there are never any record screech / clear the dance floor moments, its a solid good vibe for 3+hours - IT CAN BE DONE. Seriously, if the local sushi bar can create a vibe with this crowd and given the relative lack of such a vibe at Desire where you'll never see a more eager and ready crowd, the only way to describe that is FAIL Desire, FAIL. Imagine what it could be if they tapped into the immense "sexy vibe" potential. It's fun now, despite all this, but it could be utterly amazing. To us, at the whole crowd level, the disco is the unsexiest place at Desire which is ashame considering the vast potential here.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby red88vette » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:22 pm

I agree with everyone else, doesn't sound like there is an answer, management cannot be ignorant to this as long as it has been going on. Maybe they could get the Disco Dj to take requests, like they do at the regular pool during the day. The DJ should have a diverse selection of tunes in his hard drive, then maybe not. I have several 1000 on my player I would be happy to share with him.
2022-Aug, Oct, Dec,
Total-30
red88vette
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 15 Oct 2022

Postby Desire2424 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Does anybody really need to watch MTV music videos on a dance floor filled with LIVE sexy half naked people? Just think of how different the vibe would be if they played some slow ‘grindable’ music and ran some erotic photography pics on the video screens instead of 80’s rock and concert footage of Slash and Angus Young?? I’m a musician and play in a couple of bands and few people love rock music more than me but there’s a time and place for it....and that time is not on a dance floor when a sweet ass in short shirt is grinding on my crotch. A good DJ needs to read the crowd and that can be done with plenty of different genres. This DJ is simply playing the same shit Over and Over and Over off of a laptop program rather than doing any mixing or using any creativity.
Last week his laptop quit and the place went silent for 5 minutes while he rebooted! We LOVE going to the disco and I really hate being so critical of something that I love so much but it really could be SO much better with very little effort.
Desire2424
Desire Addict

Postby barebuns » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Been to Pearl 4 times and agree with what has been said about the music. A few weeks ago we tried Temptation Resort for the first time. While the resorts have their obvious differences (and distractions i.e. Jacuzzi) they are owned by the same people and the music at TTR was vastly better. The club area was hopping until the wee hours. The DJ's should talk.
Desire Pearl Aug 2014, Feb 2015, Aug 2015, Aug 2016,
Desire RM July 2016
SMI April 2017
HEDO II June 2017
TTR March 2018
HEDO II Oct 2019
barebuns
Desire Addict

We are from: Canada

Postby Explorer79 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Desire2424 wrote:Does anybody really need to watch MTV music videos on a dance floor filled with LIVE sexy half naked people? Just think of how different the vibe would be if they played some slow ‘grindable’ music and ran some erotic photography pics on the video screens instead of 80’s rock and concert footage of Slash and Angus Young?? I’m a musician and play in a couple of bands and few people love rock music more than me but there’s a time and place for it....and that time is not on a dance floor when a sweet ass in short shirt is grinding on my crotch. A good DJ needs to read the crowd and that can be done with plenty of different genres. This DJ is simply playing the same shit Over and Over and Over off of a laptop program rather than doing any mixing or using any creativity.
Last week his laptop quit and the place went silent for 5 minutes while he rebooted! We LOVE going to the disco and I really hate being so critical of something that I love so much but it really could be SO much better with very little effort.

This describes it perfectly and really gets to the crux of the issue.

It's not a thing where they need to take requests to make it better, that is the wrong approach and will fail. The focus shouldn't be on a group of songs that people like (you'll never get agreement on that), taking requests just propagates the issue. Granted amateurs may actually do better than the Desire DJ but that is more an indictment than an improvement.

What is really needed is a change in approach, starting with what is actually Desire's goal for the vibe in the disco? Maybe it's not what we think it should be, maybe it is something else entirely. It may sound like a very difficult problem to solve until you realize that there are thousands of places all across America where you see them get it right, places where there are greater diversity in crowds.That's why I wonder if that is not actually their goal. It seems impossible to misread things this badly for so long.

I mean if the DJ himself is the issue and he is really that bad then that is a huge failure as well to accept such mediocrity in the midst of excellence everywhere else. It doesn't add up. I wonder if he is doing what they want. What Desire really needs is a music director, someone who's sole responsibility is to set the right vibe in the various areas of Desire, not just the disco. During the last trip, one day at the pool we heard the same Poison song 3-4 times in the same day. Ridiculous and annoying (doesn't even matter what the song was).

The songs themselves are the tools to realize that goal and can be done with a variety of different genres/styles and it can be different every day. It's more about the energy and the mood than the actual songs themselves.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Postby 2naked » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 am

A good DJ will also empty the floor occasionally to get you to go to the bar so the bartenders can get some tips. :-)
2naked
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 01 Sep 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS-SZC-KIK

Postby TandD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Explorer79 wrote:Even in this sushi bar turned dance club environment there is more energy with the crowd than at Desire and there are never any record screech / clear the dance floor moments, its a solid good vibe for 3+hours - IT CAN BE DONE.

In other news, a local sushi bar was beset by a crowd of swingers who were apparently searching for a fabled DJ who could satisfy their cravings for compelling dance music.

One patron was quoted as saying "This music is great but where is the Sin Room?"
TandD
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2019

Postby Explorer79 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 pm

In other news, a local sushi bar was beset by a crowd of swingers who were apparently searching for a fabled DJ who could satisfy their cravings for compelling dance music.

One patron was quoted as saying "This music is great but where is the Sin Room?"

True story, this actually happened!!! :mrgreen: Actually it would be kinda scary as the crowd diversity was such that sin room compatibility would be an issue.

I will say that the local swinger's club actually has no such problem with either their dance floor or sin room (more than a room actually, but still). They do not have sushi though.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Postby pretzelandgeek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Nothing to add here, really, but wanted to add my voice to the growing many here who HATE the music and videos during the dancing part. I'm a child of the '60s/70s so when I hear this modern crap it destroys me. I put on my brave face and try to think about all the positives and the exciting night ahead. But man, think how awesome it would be if the music were actually used to inspire our mood and not kill it. Who does somebody have to blow to hear some Prince? And this is probably the only forum where I can add: I'm not asking a hypothetical.
pretzelandgeek
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 25 May 2018

Postby Explorer79 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:52 pm

pretzelandgeek wrote:Who does somebody have to blow to hear some Prince? And this is probably the only forum where I can add: I'm not asking a hypothetical.

Sadly, I'm not sure even that would be enough.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl