Money stolen out of spa locker!

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Money stolen out of spa locker!

Postby goldfish1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:42 am

Arge! So we checked into Pearl at noon yesterday and as always got a spa locker to store our valuables until our room was ready. They gave us locker number 16. At 3pm I returned to the locker. When I looked at my bag, I noticed the knot tied to secure it closer was different. Yes ... I know I am a little weird.... But I notice things like this. When I looked inside..... 4 twenty dollar bills were missing and about 60 US dollars of Mexican pesos were missing. The theif was hoping that the guest was not as OCD as I. I am a numbers guy. I always know how many of each bill I have on me while on vacation. When I check the locker, I found it to be broken. It could easily be pushed in and stuff removed. I escalated to the manager... Who was nothing short of useless. He refused to call the police. And said he needed to investigate it and it would take 24 hours. I said.... But this just happened a couple hours ago.... I literally just got here.... One of your current workers took my money just please call the police. He once again refused and said he would talk to me tomorrow after the investigation. What the hell??????? Any suggestions?
goldfish1
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 21 Oct 2017

Re: Money stolen out of spa locker!

Postby SouthCarolinaCpl » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:36 am

That sucks,..but don’t let $140.00 spoil your several thousand dollar sexy vibe vacation...
SouthCarolinaCpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Apr 2024

Postby Mrandmrst » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 am

Minor theft like this has been talked about before on this board so I won't go into the politics concerning poverty and tourism.

We had a similar experience a few years ago. My wife had a nifty makeup case disappear one day even though we had an unsecured iPad, cell phones and other valuable devices in plain sight (yes, stupid, we know). We guessed the thinking was, "they won't notice or make a big deal if a minor item such as a makeup case disappears." We did report it to the manager who swore that this kind of thing never happens at the resort and that they will definitely take it seriously and look into it. I think it is safe to say that was an entirely false statement based on the number of similar reports on this forum.

It's unfortunate but I don't know what else we can do other than lock our valuables and accept the possibility that low-value items that we choose not to secure might get stolen. Yes, we can protest with our wallets and go somewhere else, but where? I think we'll all agree that Desire is unique with few, if any, exact alternatives.
Mrandmrst
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 08 Dec 2022

Postby jfvegas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 pm

same exact thing happened to us on september 1st upon checkout....took 40 dollars of 100 in my wallet and 20 of my wifes 40 dollars from her wallet....thinking we would not notice or forget how much we had....manager was useless :oops: :DL
jfvegas
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 07 Sep 2020

Postby Bareman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am

goldfish1 wrote:Arge! So we checked into Pearl at noon yesterday and as always got a spa locker to store our valuables until our room was ready. They gave us locker number 16. At 3pm I returned to the locker. When I looked at my bag, I noticed the knot tied to secure it closer was different. Yes ... I know I am a little weird.... But I notice things like this. When I looked inside..... 4 twenty dollar bills were missing and about 60 US dollars of Mexican pesos were missing. The theif was hoping that the guest was not as OCD as I. I am a numbers guy. I always know how many of each bill I have on me while on vacation. When I check the locker, I found it to be broken. It could easily be pushed in and stuff removed. I escalated to the manager... Who was nothing short of useless. He refused to call the police. And said he needed to investigate it and it would take 24 hours. I said.... But this just happened a couple hours ago.... I literally just got here.... One of your current workers took my money just please call the police. He once again refused and said he would talk to me tomorrow after the investigation. What the hell??????? Any suggestions?

we are coming to DP in December. I was thinking of bringing a pad lock as a deterrent, could i use a padlock on the lockers?
Desire RM and Pearl April 2015
Desire Peal December 2018
Bareman
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 09 Dec 2018

Postby K&RinTX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 pm

sxmcolover wrote:we are coming to DP in December. I was thinking of bringing a pad lock as a deterrent, could i use a padlock on the lockers?

I don't think so...as I recall the lockers each have a keyed lock built into them, they give you the key. IMHO if someone got inside and found that the valuables were in a locked bag, they wouldn't pursue it. Many of the past stories, as are the ones in this thread, describe someone taking SOME of the money, but hopefully not enough to notice. I seriously doubt they would destroy a bag etc in order to look inside. I carry a locking bank bag (ordered from Amazon) and lock it inside the room safe for this reason. We've met several people who have had things missing from both the room and from inside the safe.
Kasidie: kandrintx
SDC: KRDFW
Twitter: KRDFW
K&RinTX
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 06 Dec 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SDC

Postby Bareman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm

K&RinTX wrote:
sxmcolover wrote:we are coming to DP in December. I was thinking of bringing a pad lock as a deterrent, could i use a padlock on the lockers?

I don't think so...as I recall the lockers each have a keyed lock built into them, they give you the key. IMHO if someone got inside and found that the valuables were in a locked bag, they wouldn't pursue it. Many of the past stories, as are the ones in this thread, describe someone taking SOME of the money, but hopefully not enough to notice. I seriously doubt they would destroy a bag etc in order to look inside. I carry a locking bank bag (ordered from Amazon) and lock it inside the room safe for this reason. We've met several people who have had things missing from both the room and from inside the safe.

Are the bank bags you are talking about that a business would use to make a night deposit in a drop box?
Desire RM and Pearl April 2015
Desire Peal December 2018
Bareman
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 09 Dec 2018

Postby Mrandmrst » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm

We've used this on cruises when we want to keep cash, phones, passports nearby around the pool and not worry about them:
https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RQUIC4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539279035&sr=8-2&keywords=safego

Plus I think the odds of someone stealing from around the pool where everything is in plain sight of lots of people are lower than in a dark, empty locker room.
Mrandmrst
Desire Fan

Postby mikeinnj » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:11 pm

We have a small lock that locks one section of my backpack. Never had an issue
mikeinnj
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 14 May 2024

Postby SouthCarolinaCpl » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:37 am

Even easier,..bring zip ties if you need to store.
SouthCarolinaCpl
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 13 Apr 2024

Postby K&RinTX » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 pm

sxmcolover wrote:
K&RinTX wrote:

Are the bank bags you are talking about that a business would use to make a night deposit in a drop box?

Yes, something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Resistant-Locking-7120D/dp/B000SQQGF4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539367179&sr=8-5&keywords=bank+bag
Kasidie: kandrintx
SDC: KRDFW
Twitter: KRDFW
K&RinTX
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 06 Dec 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SDC

Postby Explorer79 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:32 pm

mikeinnj wrote:We have a small lock that locks one section of my backpack. Never had an issue

This is exactly what we're doing, basically this through the dual zippers, done. Now they would have to steal the whole backpack which I'm much less concerned about.

\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby Mrandmrst » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 pm

That's the advantage of the safe I mentioned - it is waterproof, virtually indestructible, and the cable allows you to easily secure it to a chair, tree, etc. And you can use the included key OR the 3-digit combo if you don't want to have to carry a key around.

Mrandmrst
Desire Fan

Postby goldfish1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Update. After escalating the issue, they took money out of the resort register and paid me back my stolen money.
goldfish1
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 21 Oct 2017

Postby KoalaStallions » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks for the useful tips. I had $40 US (2 twenties) stolen out of my bag in the spa locker on our last day at Pearl in March 2018. I am totally sure about this as I had set those two twenties in a different place in the bag for convenience to pay the cab to the airport -and a few hours later they were gone. I didn't even bother telling management but perhaps I should have since it appears to be a common problem. I'll get one of those little locks for next time.
KoalaStallions

We arrive on: 19 Dec 2016

Next

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl