Desire Pearl Beach

This is the place for general questions / discussions about Desire Pearl

Desire Pearl Beach

Postby feverpair2015 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi all

From our last visit in March 18 we were surprised just how bad the beach was. The lifeguard steps were in the water and the volleyball court only just about existed, we thought a couple more months and volleyball would be out of the question.
From what we gather, the beach was man made and wondered if anything has happened since our visit to rectify the issue, as we are quite concerned re booking for 2019 if the beach is either the same or worse.
Hopefully someone who has recently returned will be able to fill us in.

Feverpair :UK
Desire Pearl 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Desire RM 2017

SDC : feverpair
KIK : feverpair
MeWe : fever pair
feverpair2015
Desire Lover

We are from: UK
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 05 Oct 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Re: Desire Pearl Beach

Postby arcouple » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:32 am

We were there a couple months ago and the beach was unusable. The smell was horrid as well....bad enough to where we didn't want to lay on a beach bed...
arcouple
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
We arrive on: 02 Apr 2020

Postby ksr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm

We were there in Sept and the beach was so small and so narrow that you had step over stacked up chairs to walk in the sand. The erosion had created about a 2 foot drop off into the water. And we can confirm that the smell was overwhelming from the mountains of seaweed. The beach really has changed in the past few years. :DL
kik: KeithandJill
13 DP trips
2 RM visits
1 Hidden Beach experiment
1 Wild Hedo II trip
ksr
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 27 Aug 2021

Postby feverpair2015 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:40 am

Thanks for the responses.

From that we have decided not to return to Pearl, a real shame, we love the atmosphere and the sexy vibe you get compared to any other resort, but when we book a beach holiday we would like a beach. We really do not want to be confined to the pool.

I feel for those that are members as they are stuck with what isn't an ideal situation, unless of course, it doesn't bother them, but we are both happy that we never joined, even though tempted a couple of times.

We will review the position in a couple of years, and hopefully, they will have been forced into doing something about it. The more customers vote with their feet, the more likely Desire will either get it fixed or move to a more appropriate location.

Where's the Pearl we remember?

Feverpair
:UK
Desire Pearl 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Desire RM 2017

SDC : feverpair
KIK : feverpair
MeWe : fever pair
feverpair2015
Desire Lover

We are from: UK
We arrive on: 05 Oct 2019

Postby Desire2424 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:46 am

Is the beach at RM any better? We really love a few hours on the beach in the mornings.
Desire2424
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 06 Mar 2019

Postby Explorer79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:27 am

We will review the position in a couple of years, and hopefully, they will have been forced into doing something about it. The more customers vote with their feet, the more likely Desire will either get it fixed or move to a more appropriate location.

I'm pretty sure being forced or not isn't the deal, I'm sure Desire would like to have a fabulous beach but it's a battle against mother nature for a great deal of it. Also there are other restrictions, some of the seaweed issues can't be efficiently dealt with because of environmental regulations, at least that's my understanding, ie I don't think they are allowed to use tractors on the beach for example, so they are left with the only option being manual labor which is a losing battle. I will say though that when we there in Nov there was very little seaweed and the beach itself was reasonably usable. Honestly I've never considered a Desire trip to be a beach vacation, the other reasons we go are way more important to us. If the beach was the main point we would go somewhere else, but somewhere else doesn't have the people and atmosphere so in that context we don't really care about the beach at all. I mean it's nice to have, but not a requirement.

As for customers voting with their feet, I don't think that will really play out that way. My observation has been that the vast majority of the people spend time at the pool, the beach has always been fairly sparse by comparison. Even so, Desire just moving to a new location is not realistic, way too much cost and logistics to deal with there.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby red88vette » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:12 pm

We were there Dec 8-15 and the beach was in much better shape. There was plenty of walking area both N and S of Pearl. Not sure how it is today. Here is what it looked like.

2022-Aug, Oct, Dec,
Total-30
red88vette
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 15 Oct 2022

Postby Explorer79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:21 pm

That's very similar to what we saw in Nov. In Oct, there was a lot more seaweed.
\m/
Explorer79
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 17 Oct 2019

Postby werfun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm

All I will say is when man verses nature, nature will always win no mater what man attempts to do.
Living one block from Waikiki we have seen the changes that the ocean can cause, If you look at pictures of Waikiki Beach
from the 1930s the beach was a sharp sloop to the water. Then the city paid a lot of money to truck sand in to build a
better beach for the visitors the beach that you see in the tourist pictures. Nature the slowly washed that sand out into
the ocean. About 8 years ago the city spent several million dollars to bring the sand back to build the beach back up as
tourist were unhappy with the way the beach was changing. Well nature and the ocean is wasking he beach away again
as some steps from the street to the beach can't be used because of the distance from the sand to the bottom step.
Mother Nature will always win over time.
werfun
Desire Legend

Postby bigbill » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:30 pm

We stayed at DRM in Dec. this time but took a day trip over to DP for the foam party.

I head read in advance about the beach erosion so made a point of checking it out. The beach was in great shape. There wasn't much (if any) seaweed on the beach and most of the sand that was lost in the erosion was back. The volleyball court was setup (albeit a little closer) and everything seemed great.
Kik: bigbillcan
bigbill
Desire Lover

We are from: Canada
Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl
We arrive on: 13 Dec 2018

Postby Desire2424 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am

bigbill wrote:We stayed at DRM in Dec. this time but took a day trip over to DP for the foam party.

I head read in advance about the beach erosion so made a point of checking it out. The beach was in great shape. There wasn't much (if any) seaweed on the beach and most of the sand that was lost in the erosion was back. The volleyball court was setup (albeit a little closer) and everything seemed great.

Thank you for this post ! It’s a comfort to know this as we get closer to our March dates.
Desire2424
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 06 Mar 2019

Postby Workhardplayhard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Desire2424 wrote:
bigbill wrote:We stayed at DRM in Dec. this time but took a day trip over to DP for the foam party.

Thank you for this post ! It’s a comfort to know this as we get closer to our March dates.

We were just there in NYE and the seaweed was piled up every morning. They worked hard every day to clean it up. Compared to July (our last trip) there was no odor to speak of. So, perhaps just unsightly. Like others have said, the battle against mother nature.
Workhardplayhard
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 01 Sep 2023

Return to General Discussions about Desire Pearl