TR april 5-12, 2014 Have now been to both RM and Pearl.

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

TR april 5-12, 2014 Have now been to both RM and Pearl.

Postby Randall44 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Just finished a week at Pearl, first time there. Had been to RM three times. There are pros and cons to almost any two things being compared and the same applies here.

Without making the too long and detailed, here are our thoughts:

Rooms:
Pearl rooms are nicer but not significantly so. Really, how much time is spent in room? Both are well maintained, clean.

Pool:
Pearl. There is a bar in the pool at Pearl, not so at RM. (Admin Update: as of Oct 2014 Desire RM now has a swim up bar in the pool) The layout of the Pearl pool is also better as it extends almost the length of the inner property. One end is quieter, if desired while the other end is more active and social.

Beach:
RM. Water is calmer. Many more people in the water. Very few enter the water at Pearl. Also, a bit too many people from outside of resorts walking by Pearl beach. I don't mind the adults but there were a few too many kids (in the 10-15 year-old range) which I find uncomfortable. I just don't think 12 year old girls should be looking at men's wagging tails. The little kids (6ish and under) aren't really an issue as they are too young to understand or care about the nudity.

Hot tub/Jacuzzi:
Pearl, hands down. Better location, bigger, nicer. No stairs to climb. Close to pool but still secluded. Few would argue this.

Food:
Frankly, I don't understand how anyone rates Pearl's food over RM's. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions but for us, it was not contest. The food at Pearl is below average. RM is average to slighly above. There is also more choices at RM as Pearl only has two restaurants. Also, the format at RM is much better for with the afternoon restaurant being outdoors. At RM, there is a grill that offers fresh fish, burgers, pizza, etc. all day long and you can eat outside. At Pearl, it is closed in lunch area and a bit too formal for casual dining in bathing suits. As for Pearl's main dining room, the room itself is nice but the food is subpar. The servings are extremely small (ordered gnocchi one night as main course - serving was four gnocchi's, each the size of a chocolate covered almond). Everyone at table laughed. There are no dinner buffets at Pearl. At RM, the dinner buffet is offered as an alternative to the restaurants, which is nice when you don't like the daily cuisine of the restaurants and would rather just pick and choose your own thing. Additionally, part of the fun at RM is the late nite pizza being served up at the bar. While the same is offered at Pearl, it is from a makeshift pizza stand and it pales in comparison to RM's.

Staff:
Great at both. Super friendly, thoughtful and nice. No complaints except to say that Sylvia at RM does not have an equal serving drinks around Pearl pool.

Atmosphere:
Met some great people at both. However, there is a better 'buzz' and a higher level of participation in theme nights. We found that Pearl was a bit more like a summer camp where everyone moved in packs to whatever the current event was. 10 am at pool/beach, 4 o'clock hot tub, 8-10 dinner, 10:30 disco, 11:30 hot tub. There wasn't much variance from that. At RM, it just seems more diverse. Also, the social area just behind the lobby at RM is much better than any at Pearl. We always enjoyed hanging around the bar at RM if we weren't in disco or elsewhere. It was fun, lively and social. Same can't be said for Pearl. They lack that 'spot' .

As for the 'party', I do believe that much of it is decided by the people there at any given time. It is said that Pearl is tamer and perhaps that is true but either property offers as much 'partying' and 'lifestyling' as one might desire.

Keep in mind, we are not wild partiers. We love the atmosphere and ambiance of Desire. For whatever you're looking for, it's available at either property. But for us, we'd go RM before Pearl.
Randall44

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 20 Jul 2013

Re: TR april 5-12, 2014 Have now been to both RM and Pearl.

Postby MandD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:21 pm

That was our thought as well, both are very nice and the hot tub at pearl and the pool are both a better layout (IMHO). THe staff was very friendly and approachable at Pearl, but for whatever reason we just felt more in tune with RM. Bottom line, both are great resorts, we just prefer RM.
C4P - MandD_Desire
KIK - MandD_Desire2
MandD
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Jun 2022
Swing Site(s) we belong to: C4P

Postby BigB&CrazyK » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:46 pm

We feel the same way about everything... although food-wise it can be hit or miss at either resort. We've had good and not so good at both places depending on when we were there. Still fantastic, however!
BigB&CrazyK
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 23 May 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie

Postby eddieandjojo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm

One thing we agree on 100% is that Sylvia has no equal, she is simply amazing! We felt the food was better at Pearl, but as others have said, it can be hit or miss....regardless both are above average for all inclusives. Been to RM many times and Pearl twice in the past 9 months.

Anyway, thanks the the report, it's always good to have many opinions which help others!
eddieandjojo

We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby Budlee » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks for taking the time to write your report. We're newbies, having never been to either resort, which is probably a good thing for us - no comparisons to make. We head to Pearl, first week of June, and will return the favor by writing a review, upon our return.

Thanks again,

Bud and Lee
Budlee
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 31 May 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS, FetLife, Flickr

Postby shore128 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks for the report. Having been to both, we are very much in agreement. Each of the resorts have their plusses and minuses in comparison to the other, but on balance we prefer RM. To expand upon a few features: (1) Beach - while Pearl's is wider and more tropical, RM's is better for swimmng (less rocks and coral entering the water) and it is much easier to get either a beach bed or lounge chairs. We like to get a little sun, and never have any problems getting lounge chairs at RM. We also really enjoy the beach bar at RM.

Would much rather eat lunch outside, and while the new oceanside restaurant at Pearl is really nice, don't like the fact that it is all enclosed. Think ownership made a mistake on that decision. Very anxious to see how the renovations to the pool and Tentazione at RM turn out. Good to see that those facilities are going to be renovated.

While the hottub at Pearl is obviously much nicer and larger than its counterpart at RM, we really like the option of having the dry bar at RM. Have spent a fair amount of time sitting at that bar during times when we weren't yet in the mood to jump into the hottub. We also don't mind the fact that RM's hottub can get rather crowded, as it actually makes it alot easier to meet people.

We love the outdoor bar and lobby area at RM. Its always been one of our favorite features of the resort. Finally, the nightclub and playroom at RM are certainly larger and nicer than their counterparts at Pearl. Having said all that, we would gladly spend a week at either Pearl or RM - we've had great times at both resorts.
shore128
Desire Addict

We arrive on: 21 Apr 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Randall44 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:45 am

Spot on, Shore. Completely agree with everything you said (maybe undecided on size of hot tub-sometimes nice to be in close quarters, other times - not so much :D ).

Good point about the 'dry bar' at RM. At Pearl, there is bar in the hot tub but only accessible from inside the hot tub. RM's is situated to have service both in the hot tub and out.

Another thing I should mention about the beaches. For us, if we are to be sunning at the beach, we like to be facing the water as we do so. At Pearl, the sun is over the water until about noon and then it heads to the resort (westerly?). Having to flip the chairs around with our backs to the water is not ideal. At RM, the sun and beach go east to west, allowing us to face the sun for the entire day. Small thing maybe but thought it was worth mentioning.
Randall44

Postby Randall44 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:56 am

One other thing. While I hate to sound negative, there is one other thing worth mentioning and if others agree, maybe it will be brought to management's attention.

Disco music. The DJ's they use just don't get it. I don't know if it's changed at RM over the past couple of years but it was a peeve last time we were at RM and same applied to this trip to Pearl.

I think that most would agree that the average age of guests is 40-50, likely on the high end of 40's. Yet, they play contemporary techno-hip hop stuff and very few dance to it. When they do put on some 70's or 80's (some more contemporary, i.e. I Gotta Feeling) dance tunes, the dance floor is full and everyone is rockin. All the friggin' DJ needs to do is look up at the dance floor to figure this out. The guy rarely lifts his head. Know your customers! I think it is safe to say that majority of guests look forward to some night time dancing at the disco. It's sexy, it's exercise, it's social and it's fun. It is sad that the poor choice of 'dance tunes' has most fleeing the disco about 30-45 minutes after the nightly entertainment show ends.

If you agree, please let management know. That's the only way it will get better.

Again, hate to sound negative. I think Desire properties are great fun with great people and amazing staff. But like most things, there is always room for improvement. (*)
Randall44

Postby Beach girl » Sun May 18, 2014 2:22 pm

I have to agree about the music being played in the disco. The first night we were there the music was from the 90s to present. As the crowd was generally older not many danced. The second night we went up there the music played was from the 70s and 80s for a few songs and people got going then he switched back. Noticed even the younger crowd danced to the 70s and 80s songs. DJ take note of this.
Beach girl
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 04 Jan 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby TimBeck2 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 am

This is exactly the type of Trip Report/Comparison between the two I was hoping to find. We are looking to book at one of the Desires next year but hadn't decided which one yet.
My 'hang up' about RM was that there was no swim up bar, but that seems to be changing - so Yay, problem solved!!
Thanks for the report!
TimBeck2

Postby candtdesire07 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

Fantastic report!
We have been to both resorts and your report is pretty spot on to how we feel.
We never knew how much we would miss the lobby area at RM until you don't have the lobby area. Now, if RM could only have Pearls hot tub!
Trip #7 coming up in 5 days and can't wait to be welcomed "home" at RM!
candtdesire07
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 26 Jun 2017

Postby candtdesire07 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 am

TimBeck2 wrote:This is exactly the type of Trip Report/Comparison between the two I was hoping to find. We are looking to book at one of the Desires next year but hadn't decided which one yet.
My 'hang up' about RM was that there was no swim up bar, but that seems to be changing - so Yay, problem solved!!
Thanks for the report!

Honestly, with Silvia at the RM pool serving drinks, you don't need a swim up bar!
candtdesire07
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 26 Jun 2017

Postby MGC » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:56 pm

We were at RM almost five years ago and will be going this February. We went to Pearl last April and fell in love with the place. We loved the fact that there are only 88 guest rooms and that the staff was amazing. We felt the staff at both RM and Pearl are just fantastic. Since it has been awhile since we went to RM, We honestly cannot say the food was better at Pearl, however, we can say that the food was great.
MGC

We arrive on: 03 Apr 2015

Postby Artcoupled » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:08 am

HUGE help in deciding---the big thing for us is the privacy and the beach---I can live without "pools"
We are so looking forward to this trip!
Artcoupled

We arrive on: 15 Mar 2015

Postby BeantownNewbs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:33 am

Here are my perspectives:

Randall44 wrote:Just finished a week at Pearl, first time there. Had been to RM three times. There are pros and cons to almost any two things being compared and the same applies here.

Without making the too long and detailed, here are our thoughts:

Rooms:
Pearl rooms are nicer but not significantly so. Really, how much time is spent in room? Both are well maintained, clean.

BN: the rooms at DP are larger, not "nicer" and all DP rooms have "ocean views (technically, although some are more jacuzzi views) ...how much you value that is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't travel to an ocean resort and put up with a garden view...not having a view of the ocean and/or hear the sound of the waves is not something I ever want to do as part of my resort vacation. But, that's impt to us, but not to everyone. The two bathrooms in the Master Suites are a major advantage, for us. Others just want the cheapest room possible, and there's nothing wrong with that, just not us.

Pool:
Pearl. There is a bar in the pool at Pearl, not so at RM. (Admin Update: as of Oct 2014 Desire RM now has a swim up bar in the pool) The layout of the Pearl pool is also better as it extends almost the length of the inner property. One end is quieter, if desired while the other end is more active and social.

BN: The pool at DRM is substantially smaller and architecturally uninspiring (it's a basic square/rectangle), but the view of the ocean from the pool at DRM is much better and no one uses the quiet end of the pool at the Pearl (people use the chair/beds, but few use the water), so it's sort of wasted, but visually attractive. The I think I like to pool better at DRM, because you can sit on the west side and look out over the pool and the ocean.

Beach:
RM. Water is calmer. Many more people in the water. Very few enter the water at Pearl. Also, a bit too many people from outside of resorts walking by Pearl beach. I don't mind the adults but there were a few too many kids (in the 10-15 year-old range) which I find uncomfortable. I just don't think 12 year old girls should be looking at men's wagging tails. The little kids (6ish and under) aren't really an issue as they are too young to understand or care about the nudity.

BM: Neither have great beaches or great oceans. The water is dirty and full of seaweed. Both have decent beaches and nice sound of waves. I don't find the ppl to be a factor, but maybe some would.

Hot tub/Jacuzzi:
Pearl, hands down. Better location, bigger, nicer. No stairs to climb. Close to pool but still secluded. Few would argue this.

BM: The small size of the jacuzzi at DRM may be a plus for some as it forces bodies together, but I doubt that's optimum for most people. This a MAJOR difference in the resorts if you plan to use the jacuzzis a lot. Also, there's one more bed around the jacuzzi at DP, with fewer people, rooms. And yes, no stairs. The jacuzzi is MUCH better at DP, unless you want to be mushed together due to full occupancy and lack of space.

Food:
Frankly, I don't understand how anyone rates Pearl's food over RM's. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions but for us, it was not contest. The food at Pearl is below average. RM is average to slighly above. There is also more choices at RM as Pearl only has two restaurants. Also, the format at RM is much better for with the afternoon restaurant being outdoors. At RM, there is a grill that offers fresh fish, burgers, pizza, etc. all day long and you can eat outside. At Pearl, it is closed in lunch area and a bit too formal for casual dining in bathing suits. As for Pearl's main dining room, the room itself is nice but the food is subpar. The servings are extremely small (ordered gnocchi one night as main course - serving was four gnocchi's, each the size of a chocolate covered almond). Everyone at table laughed. There are no dinner buffets at Pearl. At RM, the dinner buffet is offered as an alternative to the restaurants, which is nice when you don't like the daily cuisine of the restaurants and would rather just pick and choose your own thing. Additionally, part of the fun at RM is the late nite pizza being served up at the bar. While the same is offered at Pearl, it is from a makeshift pizza stand and it pales in comparison to RM's.

BN: I don't think Pearl's food is anything special, so I can't see how the would be a factor, except more choices prob equals better avg food...they try so hard, and miss the mark by so much...so simpler is better.

Staff:
Great at both. Super friendly, thoughtful and nice. No complaints except to say that Sylvia at RM does not have an equal serving drinks around Pearl pool.

BN: AMAZING STAFF. Original Resorts does a truly amazing job or recruiting and training staff. We are coninually impressed but old and new staff attitudes and warmth/commitment.

Atmosphere:
Met some great people at both. However, there is a better 'buzz' and a higher level of participation in theme nights. We found that Pearl was a bit more like a summer camp where everyone moved in packs to whatever the current event was. 10 am at pool/beach, 4 o'clock hot tub, 8-10 dinner, 10:30 disco, 11:30 hot tub. There wasn't much variance from that. At RM, it just seems more diverse. Also, the social area just behind the lobby at RM is much better than any at Pearl. We always enjoyed hanging around the bar at RM if we weren't in disco or elsewhere. It was fun, lively and social. Same can't be said for Pearl. They lack that 'spot' .

BN: there is no social scene in or outside the lobby at DP, so DRM wins there. It is a bigger resort, so you will have more people, probably a little more wild, and a bigger range of people. Also, there are more less expensive rooms at DRM, so it probably more people spending less.

As for the 'party', I do believe that much of it is decided by the people there at any given time. It is said that Pearl is tamer and perhaps that is true but either property offers as much 'partying' and 'lifestyling' as one might desire.

BN: for those looking to swing, there are fewer rooms and fewer couples ot choose among. That's just math.

Keep in mind, we are not wild partiers. We love the atmosphere and ambiance of Desire. For whatever you're looking for, it's available at either property. But for us, we'd go RM before Pearl.

BN: tough choice...I think mix it up. I think Pearl may attract a slightly older, more sophisticated audience, but that's a very slight difference, and somewhat based on reputation and I have a sense that gap is narrowing. I think people go to Pearl expecting a slight calmer, more sphisticated experience...more room in the jacuzzi, a little less wild, but still so many things are similar.

Disco: the disco at DP is nicer and better located, IMO.

Music: the DJ(s) at DRM are better.
No Te Salves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zyrcHSQdVQ
BeantownNewbs
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 01 Dec 2014

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl