Comparing RM and Pearl

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Comparing RM and Pearl

Postby naughtybutnice77 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm

We just returned from our first trip to Pearl. Having visited RM in July, both hotels are still fresh in my mind so I’ll do a short contrast for those trying to decide which to chose.

The pool area at RM was just renovated so I can only speak to how it was before the renovation. RM had a smaller pool and I would assume it is still more compact because it would be hard to spread it out like Pearl. The RM pool had a lot more PDA when we were there. I think the deeper water invited some of that. Because it was smaller, it was easier to socialize although we felt it would be better with a swim up bar which kit now has. RM’s hot tub is upstairs on a deck, away from the pool. It is also much smaller and more intimate. The size and layout of that HT encourages more interaction between guests if for no other reason then you are forced to brush by others during busy times of the day. There was a lot more action in the RM hot tub. We didn’t see a single person stretched on the bar covered in chocolate sauce at Pearl :) The pool wait staff was much better at RM. I ended up going into the pool to get drinks at the pool bar often at Pearl (which might not have been so bad in retrospect).

Daytime entertainment was wilder and more fun at RM. There were plenty of games that involved guests (volunteers only) to get up in front of everyone and entertain us. Pearl was more about sports from what we witnessed. However the foam party at Pearl was amazing. I have heard that RM is moving their foam party to the new pool so I expect it will be comparable.

The resort with the best rooms is an easy pick. Hands down Pearl is superior. We had a standard room in both resorts but visited the suites as well. The RM room was tiny and the bathroom pathetic. The bed was only a queen (which is a little strange in a place that often hosts people hoping to get 6 people on there at a time).

Beach goes to RM. Their beach beds and tiki bar make it superior. Pearl had less beds and the big ones were reserved for the suites. RM does have more public walking through which is entertaining but also keeps the sex police on guard.

The food goes to Pearl. RM’s hibachi grill was fun and good but lacked variety. The formal restaurant required reservations and was good but not to the level of Pearl’s “Pearl” restaurant. We ate with groups ranging from 4 to 7 and we only had to wait with the group of 7 on a Saturday night. Pearl is also finishing a hibachi grill over the main restaurant. Service at the restaurants was wonderful at Pearl and good at RM.

The nightlife was definitely better at RM. The dance club was hopping all night and the bar was a hot spot. Pearl was quiet and thinned out after the nightly entertainment. After the bar closed at RM, there was always a scene in the hot tub. Pearl’s large hot tub may have made it feel even more barren but it was pretty quiet.

The workout room at RM was nicer and from the looks of the people around the pool, it got more use then Pearl’s :)

Now, keep in mind we were in RM in July and at Pearl in October so this may have influenced the clientele somewhat. We are in our late 30’s and we are generally on the younger side at these places. The age at Pearl seemed much older. RM was livelier and a bit younger. The vibe was more mellow at Pearl. At RM, we closed the hot tub most nights and then migrated down to the main bar. There were always others around the bar post HT closing and the bartenders made some outstanding pizza in their stone oven. At Pearl, the bar was dead and the food they left out in a pizza warmer was sad and not worth the calories.

We enjoyed both resorts and can attest that Desire puts value in the staff. Things are done well at both resorts. Desire is full of some of wonderful people and we found that at both resorts. We like the vibe at RM better but wouldn’t hesitate to book Pearl if RM was full.

I hope this helps anyone looking to make a choice between the two.
naughtybutnice77

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 07 Dec 2014

Re: Comparing RM and Pearl

Postby Jasonky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks for the report!
Jasonky
Desire Convert

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 28 Sep 2014
Swing Site(s) we belong to: none

Re: Comparing RM and Pearl

Postby EroticSailor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:07 am

Great trip report...would've been better without the comment about the gym. Why the need to be judgemental? (Rhetorical question.)
EroticSailor
Desire Lover

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 22 Jan 2016

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl