Pearl Aug 8-13 COVID Positive

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Pearl Aug 8-13 COVID Positive

Postby Futuresnowbirds » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:17 pm

Greetings everyone, After a wonderful trip to Pearl Aug 8-13 with my wife, I have tested positive for covid. We returned home feeling fine, but I woke up Monday am with a slight fever. I sought out a test and was notified of the results today. We did not play with anyone directly, but did go to dinner with one couple and had a close conversation in the hot tub with another couple on our last night there (12th). We will be reaching out to both couples to notify them directly. Sorry to ruin the mood, but felt it was important to let everyone know! Stay safe and healthy!
Futuresnowbirds

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 08 Aug 2020

Re: Pearl Aug 8-13 COVID Positive

Postby WellyFla2020 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:52 pm

SO question: Did any of the other couples test positive or have symptoms after return?
What did you do prior to leaving? Where did you go in general?
Desire Pearl Sept 9-13, 20; June 16-20, '21
Florida Nude Beach: Blind Creek (Stuart)
SDC: BICPLFLA2014
WellyFla2020
Desire Devotee

Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 09 Sep 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC

Postby Futuresnowbirds » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:02 pm

WellyFla2020 wrote:SO question: Did any of the other couples test positive or have symptoms after return?

Happy to reply... Not that we know of, but again, we just found out a few hours ago.

When you ask prior to leaving? Do you mean for the trip to desire? Nothing out of the ordinary. We live in a state that has not been hit all that hard, but has had restrictions in place.

Where did we go in general? Please clarify the question...
Futuresnowbirds

Postby sun30265 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:46 pm

Thank you for your report and sorry to hear about being COVID positive; best wishes for a quick recovery.

Many of us are still gathering data/information to determine timing of future visits; we appreciate you taking the time to share yours.

D&C
sun30265
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 24 Sep 2020

Postby Futuresnowbirds » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:43 pm

The staff was terrific and always wore masks and gloves. As you can imagine, its up to you when you arrive. We spent a lot of time on the beds in the quiet area and avoided the play maker side only because we like to read and relax in the afternoon. If you go, the staff will do there part, the rest is up to you.
Futuresnowbirds

Postby Vacationlover » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:58 am

Thank you for the information! Did you spend anytime at the disco, nighttime shows, or the gym?
Vacationlover
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 21 May 2021
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Futuresnowbirds » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:18 am

Vacationlover wrote:Thank you for the information! Did you spend anytime at the disco, nighttime shows, or the gym?

We did not go to the disco or gym. Mostly the pool, hot tub and the restaurants.
Futuresnowbirds

Postby twonewbs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Thank you for the report and I hope you get well soon!
Could it be a simple cold / flu?
Has your wife tested positive too?

Please keep us posted on your symptoms if you have the time to do so.
twonewbs
Desire Fan

Postby Futuresnowbirds » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm

twonewbs wrote:Thank you for the report and I hope you get well soon!
Could it be a simple cold / flu?
Has your wife tested positive too?

Please keep us posted on your symptoms if you have the time to do so.

I'm Confirmed, she has no symptoms other than having to put up with me... Also, I just spoke with another couple (who were part of group down there a few days before our arrival that left around the same time) and they said several in the group came down with it. So, I may have been the first to say something on here, but not the only one apparently.

My symptoms are mild. Tired, aches and low fever all managed with Advil/Tylenol. Today, I felt fine with no fever or aches. After a little nap this afternoon, I feel almost normal. Good luck and stay healthy everyone!
Futuresnowbirds

Postby Centex210 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 pm

Just to balance it out, we were there the 12th to the 16th.
We did not mingle much this trip.
We've been so beat up from work we just rested and got caught up with each other.
It's only been a few days but we both hit the ground running back in the world.
The only regret we have is that it was too short.
We chatted it up with a few couples but that's about it.
No disco for us this trip.

The wife was a bit worried about going this soon but felt very safe and respected (Southwest, USATransfer, and Pearl).
Everyone gets a temperature check as they arrive (for whatever that might be worth to you).
The staff as awesome about safety and we could not have asked for more.
For us the risk was worth it from a connection standpoint and would do it again.

Hope this helps someone!
SDC & SLS - Centex210
Centex210
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 12 Aug 2020
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SDC SLS

Postby Mr48983 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am

We were there the 12th through the 17th.

Tested positive upon return.

Kept to ourselves mostly and still came down with it.
Mr48983
Desire Lover

We arrive on: 09 Apr 2020

Postby WellyFla2020 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Futuresnowbirds wrote:
WellyFla2020 wrote:SO question: Did any of the other couples test positive or have symptoms after return?

Happy to reply... Not that we know of, but again, we just found out a few hours ago.

When you ask prior to leaving? Do you mean for the trip to desire? Nothing out of the ordinary. We live in a state that has not been hit all that hard, but has had restrictions in place.

Yeah sorry I didn’t make that more specific. Did you go anywhere at HOME like out to dinner? To a more liable place of contagion that’s inside.

See here’s the confounding factor here for those that aren’t in the healthcare field or research: The FLU and COVID are now in opposite directions. Flu cases from influenza are now 9x’s what they were last year this time versus Covid. Seems Corona sort of took the center stage from about OCT on. Secondly, corona is a lot of different viruses and the one you got might be different than the one she got. Hard to believe, but its happened all over. Secondly, if she tested positive, then the chances are she tested positive for corona but not variant 19. THe serological tests are looking for IgM and IgG antibodies, but false positive rate is really high. Because many other corona viruses hit that antibody target. It’s about cross reactivity.

RT-PCR is much better but it cannot distinguish between replicating virus stage and remnants of viral DNA/RNA.
My son had an antigen test in Bloomington on Tuesday as we checked him in to college at IU. I laughed as he got the nasal swab because that test has a high false negative rate on active infections. While its fast, its also not picking up people who have an active infection and aren’t symptomatic.

So...I’m left wondering if no one was showing symptoms, where you got this from. If the staff is doing a great job and are eliminating surface contact as a transmission vector, if no one you interacted with has it, where is came from is a mystery unless it was the plane flight.

Please understand I am not blaming you or anyone else for that matter, but I am flummoxed at how, assuming everyone is doing everything they can to avoid it (masking, distancing) prior to arrival, that cases are coming from the trip, albeit in small cohorts, but still. I wish you well and hope everyone is fine.

To the rest of you going, as well as we, please see to it you boost your immune system prior to arrival. I promise you you won’t regret it.
3-4 gr Vit C
24mg Vit A and Zinc, as well as some others.
its a start and will help ensure you have a healthy trip.
Desire Pearl Sept 9-13, 20; June 16-20, '21
Florida Nude Beach: Blind Creek (Stuart)
SDC: BICPLFLA2014
WellyFla2020
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 09 Sep 2020

Postby SoCalcpl » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Let’s not forget that jumping on a long flight is certainly more risky than most of the activity at Pearl. Everyone arrives at Pearl after a lengthy plane ride.
SoCalcpl

We arrive on: 17 Apr 2019

Postby Futuresnowbirds » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:45 pm

WellyFla2020 wrote:
Futuresnowbirds wrote:

Yeah sorry I didn’t make that more specific. Did you go anywhere at HOME like out to dinner? To a more liable place of contagion that’s inside.

See here’s the confounding factor here for those that aren’t in the healthcare field or research: The FLU and COVID are now in opposite directions. Flu cases from influenza are now 9x’s what they were last year this time versus Covid. Seems Corona sort of took the center stage from about OCT on. Secondly, corona is a lot of different viruses and the one you got might be different than the one she got. Hard to believe, but its happened all over. Secondly, if she tested positive, then the chances are she tested positive for corona but not variant 19. THe serological tests are looking for IgM and IgG antibodies, but false positive rate is really high. Because many other corona viruses hit that antibody target. It’s about cross reactivity.

RT-PCR is much better but it cannot distinguish between replicating virus stage and remnants of viral DNA/RNA.
My son had an antigen test in Bloomington on Tuesday as we checked him in to college at IU. I laughed as he got the nasal swab because that test has a high false negative rate on active infections. While its fast, its also not picking up people who have an active infection and aren’t symptomatic.

So...I’m left wondering if no one was showing symptoms, where you got this from. If the staff is doing a great job and are eliminating surface contact as a transmission vector, if no one you interacted with has it, where is came from is a mystery unless it was the plane flight.

Please understand I am not blaming you or anyone else for that matter, but I am flummoxed at how, assuming everyone is doing everything they can to avoid it (masking, distancing) prior to arrival, that cases are coming from the trip, albeit in small cohorts, but still. I wish you well and hope everyone is fine.

To the rest of you going, as well as we, please see to it you boost your immune system prior to arrival. I promise you you won’t regret it.
3-4 gr Vit C
24mg Vit A and Zinc, as well as some others.
its a start and will help ensure you have a healthy trip.

No idea where I got it. At this point, it doesn't matter. I was just trying to let folks know that I may have come in contact. As stated earlier, there was a group down there a few days before we arrived that have had several positives, but who knows. Airport, airplane, grocery store...
Futuresnowbirds

Postby Bruce&Pam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:16 pm

We got back from a week at Pearl about a week ago. So far, so good. The plane ride and especially Cancun airport were pretty scary. On our plane from home there was a guy sitting right next to me completely abusing the mask rules. He was talking on his phone during the entire flight to Houston, which is also against FAA rules. Every time a flight attendant would walk by, he'd put his phone down for a second and pull his mask up. As soon as they went by, he'd drop his mask and start talking on the phone, again.

We put our masks on as we entered our home airport and didn't take them off until we were in our room at Pearl. We even kept our sunglasses on and I had headphones, so I was in my own little world throughout all the flights.

The Cancun airport was alarming by how little social distancing there was. It wasn't the airport's fault. They had disks in the floor to promote social distancing, but everyone seemed to be ignoring them. I can't tell you how many times I felt someone right on my back, behind me. I would turn and give them the evil eye, while they took one step back. Pam brought a roll-on with a telescoping handle, that I eventually learned to use as a stick to keep people back away from us. Once past security, there was a man going back on our flight with no mask at all. When it was time to board, he had to ask his wife where his mask was. We saw another man walking through the airport with no mask of any kind. I don't know what these people are thinking?

We limited contact with others at Pearl as best we could. It wasn't near as much fun as usual, but we felt it was the right thing to do. Like I said, so far, so good.

---Bruce
Bruce&Pam
Desire Devotee

We arrive on: 03 Feb 2023

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl