Mid-March/St.Patty's 2023 Trip Report

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Mid-March/St.Patty's 2023 Trip Report

Postby tj71903 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:23 am

We returned to Pearl on March 12th for an extended (for us) stay of eight nights in what turns out to be our 30th stay at Desire (something pointed out to us at check-in). In all of our years of travel, neither of us could have envisioned finding a place we liked enough to visit more than a few times per year, but here we are.

As always we had an overall wonderful time and are already looking forward to another visit at the end of May. While the resort and the staff are more than familiar to us at this point, this trip offered a lot of new experiences and information for us which added some new wrinkles and spice.

ARRIVAL/TRANSPORTATION

Into Cancun by 10:30 local time and through customs in 10 minutes. Last time (February) we used the electronic customs stations installed this year, but this month we opted for the in-person manner. I prefer the in-person when the line isn't long because the machines sometimes struggle to get the sort of picture they need (it is especially difficult if you wear glasses, etc). On this day (3/12) there was very little in the way of a line so we did the rat maze and were through quickly.

Bags took another 25 minutes or so and then we were on the way out the door and into the scrum of vendors at the transportation pavilion. If you haven't been to CUN lately, they've finished the renovations and there's plenty of space now. We looked for USA Transfer which was booked through the resort and...they were once again on their phones well behind the cluster of other vendors, looking wholly unconcerned. Thankfully after all of the trips we knew exactly where we'd find them and were able to check in. This time they had the SUV in route (an improvement) and we were made to wait for around 10 minutes before the driver appeared and we were off with no further issues.

On the return trip we had a wonderful driver, Martin, who got us to the airport within an hour (construction has moved a bit which alleviates some of the traffic, though not all and there are still delays to be expected). He drove with purpose and was engaging. We appreciated that.

Check-in at Desire is easy. Bags checked in at front door and then a quick walk over to the Mansion to check in and sign the various forms, etc. All done quickly and efficiently with no issues or delays. We're totally finished within 20 minutes and able to run over to get lunch while waiting for the room.

THE ROOM(S)

We ended up amending our original trip by adding some days and moving forward. Doing this meant we had to do a split stay. Our first room was a Master Suite on the second floor of Building 7. It's been a long time since we stayed in a Master Suite, but we were pleased overall. The second bathroom (with a second shower) is useful and the space is very well done. It was also nice to not have to head up so many flights of stairs, just one. The view from that building was very nice from both the living room sofa and the bed/sofa in the master bedroom. Plenty of space and closet space. Sure the rooms themselves are a tad dated, but it's part of the charm for us. We stayed in this room for two night before transitioning upstairs to our favorite Penthouse room, No.88. Best part about this building is it's on the total opposite side of the resort from the pool and the hot tub. That space allows us to seek out the party if we want and to escape when we need. Downside of the Penthouse is the 57 steps you have to take...not a big deal unless you're in 4" heels (or so I'm told).

MEALS

The new chef has really begun to find his footing and we enjoyed the various options. Breakfast every day in the Mansion was pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, and fresh fruit with freshly squeezed orange juice. Lunches were at the pool grille or the Mansion for BLTs and such. With eight nights of food we did two times in the Mansion, once at Pearl (Mediterranean menu), and twice and Suki. The remaining three nights were off-site in town at two of our favorite places to eat locally. The chef was exceedingly kind to us for one of the Mansion nights, preparing a wonderful five course meal that included everything from filets to lobster to soufflés paired with homemade desserts (warm churros as requested by the wife). Terrific all around. The 'regular' meals remain the best all-inclusive fare we've had in our travels.

ACTIVITIES & ENVIRONMENT

Our trips have sort of adopted a routine that begins with an early breakfast followed by laps around the resort or down the beach. Once the walks are completed we generally grab computers to check on work, etc. At the pool by 9:30 where we watch the resort begin to stir. I'll play beach volleyball around 11 before heading back to the pool for the sports (assuming it's a sports day and not a water yoga thing). After that we'll watch the games at the front or participate in trivia before lunch and then water volleyball (or beach) before the day wraps at 4:15 or so.

On this trip the beach volleyball varied from day to day. Generally there was a really good group and we had some spirited and fun matches of five or six people per side. The sports games were a mixed bag, primarily because some of the guests were either excited, drunk, or just stupid. In the polo game one 'gentleman' found himself to be hilarious to close in on a lady and then douse her with a full splash even when she turned and was clearly uncomfortable. It was somewhat irritating that the presiding referees didn't slow this behavior preemptively with a quick whistle, but stuff happens. Anyway, this incidence wasn't isolated with this guy. Water basketball had some similar issues as, again, guests took it a bit too far with enthusiasm resulting in a few minor injuries (jammed fingers). I very much enjoy competition, but if you're a guy in these games maybe don't try to establish your athletic glory against ladies half your age and half your girth? Maybe that's just me. Moving on...

Overall the day time environment ranged from positive and energetic to relaxing when we were there though at times it was....dead. The DJ performances went through the range, but in general the music was OK for the most part. Alex was very good in this regard. Part of the issue with the DJs was the crowd itself. On a few occasions the DJ was told he needed to consider the age and demographic of the guests who probably want something from their generation played...this was during a few day period when the guest list was 60-65 percent (well) over 65 and sleepy. They began to attempt to accommodate these requests which really slowed things down. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, but let's play something after 1964, more later years than the pop stuff. Elvis is great, but his ballads probably aren't going to get a party started, and so on and so forth. Later in the week the energy returned and the foam party and afternoons were very lively as were the activities and pool atmosphere.

At night we went through another round of theme nights with dungeon night being our favorite both in the pre-show lobby and then in the disco. The wife got pulled up on stage to participate in the show and had a blast doing it. Flower Power night was a lot of fun with good retro music and then a nearly all-1980s setlist in the disco. Really fun night and the right type/tempo of music from those eras to make it fun. Neon night is always great though this year was St.Patrick's day with everyone dressing in green/gold/etc. Tropical night was fun as well.

White night was fine until it got creepy and gross. The theme is fine in theory, but as part of the pre-disco entertainment they do the human dessert spectacle which involves a dancer laying on a bed and having toppings placed on her for people to come eat off her. Sexy right? Nope. Instead they have to make an announcement reminding guests not to bite or touch anywhere that's inappropriate (because of course guests have bitten and been inappropriate). Then once that's done it's a parade of experience going up and making a show of eating something off this poor girl with extensive tongue, etc. Reminded the movies scene in 300 when the Oracle is brought to the Ephors. Just not a sexy scene...at all. We felt bad for the playmakers and the dancer. In my head I see Desire as a sexy/sensual/spicy environment...this...this wasn't that but different strokes for different folks I guess.

One thing worth noting is that Pearl will be starting a construction project soon that will see the fountain filled in to make for an outdoor entertainment space/milange similar to what they have at RM. This will allow for a more complete and immersive theme night experience (we're told) and they've hired a new entertainment director which will bring a fresh perspective to the nights.

With the environment facing some challenges this week we decided to venture over to Riviera Maya and then Temptations once consecutive days, the latter being part of the afternoon yacht charter. It was our first time to either of these resorts and we learned a lot. Perhaps the main thing I noticed at RM was just how condensed it is. Their new renovations will alleviate a lot of that with a much larger pool area but for the time being it's definitely something that differentiates the two properties. With Temptation, it's a huge property relative to the other two, and our favorite part was the rooftop pool during the day. For full context we spent maybe a combined four hours at both places, but it was good to see. Will probably do a weekend at RM at some point this year to get a full impression.

The yacht charter was a lot of fun as we and another couple were able to head over to Isla Mujeres for an extended cruise and lunch. Good times.

Overall it was another fun trip with a few hiccups, though nothing that approached a fatal flaw. The staff remains amazing and are the major reason we head back as often as we do.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Re: Mid-March/St.Patty's 2023 Trip Report

Postby nokidclub » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 pm

Another good review, thank you. After 30 trips to Pearl, it’s good that you’re checking out RM. Each resort has its advantages/disadvantages. We love them both!
Nokidclub on Kasidie, SLS, kik
nokidclub
Desire Legend

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 31 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby tj71903 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:52 am

nokidclub wrote:Another good review, thank you. After 30 trips to Pearl, it’s good that you’re checking out RM. Each resort has its advantages/disadvantages. We love them both!

We will see what happens. I don’t like being crowded and there’s zero chance I’d get in that puddle of a hot tub as currently constructed. I do like their plans though.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby AZman » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:11 am

Greetings,

Wow, 30 years! My wife and I have never been, so I hope you see this and render some advice please. First, about us to give you perspective. I’m a guy who has a pool at home and am nude most of the time. She, is a former firefighter, one of the first women hired in our home town. I am so proud of her for that. But, she is definitely not a nudist! She crazy wild, like me rides her own Harley, attends crazy Biker events like me, and I love her to the end. Love at first sight for us. It’s been that way now for years now. I’m an engineer, and well detailed.

So here’s the questions from us newbies. Oh, the only reason we are going is a reward for me, she agreed to go to a clothing optional resort when I lost weight to my goal. A desk job took its toll. Mission accomplished.

1) when is the best time to go to Desire Pearl?
2) what room would you recommend, we’ll try to request.
3) how best can I make her more accepting for Pearl like adventures or do you think the venue will help that?
4) Is this a swingers dominate place? Not sure we want that but who knows?
5) any recommendations you have is greatly appreciated!

After 30 trips, you guys are zen masters !

Thank you
J & S
AZman

Will be at: Both Riviera Maya & Pearl
We arrive on: 24 Dec 2023

Postby eddieandjojo » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:35 am

AZman wrote:Greetings,

Wow, 30 years! My wife and I have never been, so I hope you see this and render some advice please. First, about us to give you perspective. I’m a guy who has a pool at home and am nude most of the time. She, is a former firefighter, one of the first women hired in our home town. I am so proud of her for that. But, she is definitely not a nudist! She crazy wild, like me rides her own Harley, attends crazy Biker events like me, and I love her to the end. Love at first sight for us. It’s been that way now for years now. I’m an engineer, and well detailed.

So here’s the questions from us newbies. Oh, the only reason we are going is a reward for me, she agreed to go to a clothing optional resort when I lost weight to my goal. A desk job took its toll. Mission accomplished.

3) how best can I make her more accepting for Pearl like adventures or do you think the venue will help that?

After 30 trips, you guys are zen masters !

Thank you
J & S

Having been a few times ourselves (40 in total between all desire properties), here's our perspective:

1) when is the best time to go to Desire Pearl? That's a question we get asked a bunch and our standard answer is any time you can get there, really depends on your weather preference.....we like end of Feb and late July. Oct/Nov is also a great time to go as the temps cool off at night!!
2) what room would you recommend, we’ll try to request. If you want quiet go for the higher number rooms, 60 and up, if you want to be in the mix than anything up to 30's. Again, not a bad choice for rooms as they all (well almost all) have ocean views.
3) how best can I make her more accepting for Pearl like adventures or do you think the venue will help that? I think the sexy, classy atmosphere will relax her and as you'll find out, the place has an awesome vibe where you can dress and act in ways that you normally wouldn't back at home.
4) Is this a swingers dominate place? Not sure we want that but who knows? Absolutely not! Yes, there are lifestyle people that go to the resort but it's definitely not in your face! The common thread is that people are respectful, handle themselves with class and are non-judgmental from our experiences. Having said that, if you want to dabble into the "shallow or deep end" of the lifestyle you'll certainly have the opportunity!!

Hope you two have an awesome experience, I think your wife will love it. Can't tell you how many firefighters we've met over the years.....without exception, they've all been a blast and lived it up while there!!

Again, just our $.02!!
Trip #41 - Pearl, Feb 2024
eddieandjojo

We arrive on: 28 Mar 2024

Postby tikihutguy » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:26 pm

tj71903 wrote:
nokidclub wrote:Another good review, thank you. After 30 trips to Pearl, it’s good that you’re checking out RM. Each resort has its advantages/disadvantages. We love them both!

We will see what happens. I don’t like being crowded and there’s zero chance I’d get in that puddle of a hot tub as currently constructed. I do like their plans though.

Small but an outstanding view from tub and bar! 8)
tikihutguy
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 18 May 2023

Postby JamieNWife » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:03 am

Thanks for the well written review. We will be back in a few weeks for our 5th Pearl trip (starting Oct. 2020 when it was 30%due to COVID). Temptation veterans but like Pearl the best. Will see after RM Reno. Pearl hot tub and large pool are what we love. Plus we have gotten to know the staff and love them.
JamieNWife
Desire Convert

We arrive on: 12 May 2019
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby tj71903 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:39 pm

Everyone has their preference. We’ve been every month and I have to say I like July 4th and then Feb and Dec a lot. March has been bad in terms of crowd for two years straight. August (sexy young and wild) is also bad.

Depends on the room category. general rule for me is as far away from the hot tub as possible.

Be on the same page. Nerves are fine. Trickery and bribery are bad.

We go for each other. There are open minded people there. There are what I call gorilla swingers as well (super aggressive and tone deaf) as regular people just relaxing in a stress free environment and everything in between.

Any specific questions, just ask or PM.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby NewCplHere » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:26 pm

Thanks for the review.

After much debate we decided on Pearl over RM. We are mid 40's, hope it was the right decision.
NewCplHere

We arrive on: 25 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby nokidclub » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:11 am

NewCplHere wrote:Thanks for the review.

After much debate we decided on Pearl over RM. We are mid 40's, hope it was the right decision.

Either one is the right decision. You can’t go wrong! You can always try RM next time and decide for yourself which one you like better.

We’ve been to Desire 14 times. Our favorite one is whichever one we’re headed to next!
Nokidclub on Kasidie, SLS, kik
nokidclub
Desire Legend

We arrive on: 31 Aug 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: Kasidie SLS

Postby tj71903 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:45 am

Freely admit to a Pearl bias. Once RM completes the renovation we will consider it. But I don’t love being without space.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

Postby jayca » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:38 am

NewCplHere wrote:Thanks for the review.

We've only been once but the decision to go to Pearl as our first was helped by the extra space there. In case we didn't feel comfortable, there was more than enough room to shy away from others. It turns out we loved it and stayed around the busy end of the pool and participated as much as possible. It was however nice to have the option.
jayca

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl