Just got back from Pearl... 9/14-9/18, 2023

Please contribute Desire Pearl Trip reports here

Just got back from Pearl... 9/14-9/18, 2023

Postby arcouple » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:38 pm

We arrived on Thursday around midday. Our room wasn't ready, but we slipped off to the spa to get 'changed'...

Found a nice spot near the wall on the pool...gave a nice tip and asked if we could have the same chairs for the duration.

Thursday was very tame. We noticed a much older crowd. At 40 (her) and 50 (him), we definitely seemed to be way towards the young end of the crowd. Not that we care about the age of the crowd...as there has been some very fun times with older people there, but the crowd seemed very low-key. Had a great dinner at Pearl, then off to bed. Travel day...so we wanted to rest up...

Friday our seats were ready after breakfast. It was nice having 2 pool / foam parties this trip, as we weren't aware of Mexican Independence Day... and the resort had a foam party on Friday and Saturday. Again, the resort seemed very low-key and not a lot of 'hooting and hollering'. I loved the poolside dinner Friday night, as the celebration of MID was continued with a Mexican Feast!!!

Saturday we could definitely tell a difference in the crowd and it started having a much more fun vibe and a buzz...

Sunday the rejuvenated vibe continued.

A couple of observations...

The beach was basically unusable (for us). From the sea grass and the sand disappearing, we spent about 15 seconds on the beach...then went back to the pool. The DJ around the pool seemed to play much better music this trip too.

We haven't been to RM, as we like to be naked, and aren't in the lifestyle... we've heard the RM is much more 'aggressive'. But after the first couple of days, we were talking about going to RM next time (this was our 5th trip to Pearl). But after Saturday and Sunday...it felt like the normal Pearl that we love!!

I noticed how VERY little the majority of people (that I saw) tipped. I was SHOCKED!!! At breakfast in 4 days...I saw 1 person leave $3 and 1 person leave $2. We did lunch outside most days, so i didn't see that. At all 4 dinners, I didn't see one person leave a tip. However, I wasn't inspecting their tables...just noticing... The amount of service that the workers give and the amount of workers that are there to wait on your every request, definitely deserves tips..and good tips. Orrrr...maybe I received excellent service because of my tips? I don't think I give an exorbitant amount... Just kind of give what I feel I would spend if I was paying cash for each service.

Here is what I "usually" tip (there are always exceptions for EXTRA amazing service).
Pool chair attendant - $30 first day - $10 each day after
Pool drink attendant - $15 per day (or $20 if there are 2 that attend to us)
Pool bartenders - $15 per day
Hot tub bartenders - $10-$20 per day
Lobby bartenders - $10-$15 per day
Breakfast - $10
Lunch - (if eating inside) - $10-$20
Dinner - $30-$50

All in all, it was a great trip and we can't wait until next time!!!!!
arcouple
Desire Devotee

We are from: USA
Will be at: Desire Pearl
We arrive on: 02 Apr 2020

Re: Just got back from Pearl... 9/14-9/18, 2023

Postby Johnwal » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:39 am

Are you guys in the top echelons of tipping?? thats a serious question btw not a criticism. Being from the UK tipping doesn't come naturally to us but we always do....for good service.

For instance, i wouldn't leave a $10 tip at breakfast when someone has just poured me a cup of coffee! nor would I tip the pool guys $100 a week for putting a towel on my seat or a hot tub bartender $20 for pouring me 3 drinks. It's an all inclusive resort, Ive already paid what are becoming high rates for being there as well as my membership fee.

I just wonder if your examples can put people off going there or make them feel as though they have to tip that much. It's a very personal thing and I would question why you feel you need to tell us what you tip? If you can afford it then good on you, I'm sure they're very grateful, I would be.

Don't get me wrong, good service should always deserve a tip ( and we usually only get good service at desire properties) and I also understand the difference in living and pay conditions between the Uk/US and Mexico/Dominican but I don't feel as though it's my job to subsidise a company's employee pay scheme.

For those thinking of going to Desire properties, You always receive great service with or without tips and the staff are fantastic whether you are a member or not. We don't tip for the sake of it but when we get great service we reward that service. Staff don't expect it and are always really grateful when they are praised and tipped, we also always make sure we let management know who have gone beyond what we would expect. If we get bad service we do the same so that things can improve.

Lets not give the impression to newbies and those thinking of going to Desire resorts that what you tip is normal and you get better service if you outdo other guests tipping. Some may have saved all year for their one long weekend in paradise and feel under pressure to give great tips. Its very personal, its not mandatory and you get great service without lavishing cash to all and sundry for average service. But I suppose if you have it then do it oh and I'm really not being critical just levelling the field and explaining how we do it, everyone to their own
kik:johnwal09
Pearl, Cruise ,RM & GM veterans
next trip..RM July & Dec '24
Johnwal
Desire Lover

We are from: UK
Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: fabswingers

Postby arcouple » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:00 am

[quote="Johnwal"][/quote]

We can agree to disagree. However, if anybody has to scrape by to spend a 'long weekend'..then they probably shouldn't come.

Also, to say that "being from the UK, tipping doesn't come naturally for us"... is incorrect. Considering that tipping originated in Europe around the 15th century...
arcouple
Desire Devotee

Postby Cheers2US » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:10 am

We definitely do not tip as much as the OP

We generally tip as follows: (all in US dollars)
$5 bellboy
$1-$2 for each drink
$2-$3 at the breakfast buffet
$1 - $2 to the omelette lady
$3-$5 for dinner
$5-$10 housekeeping
$5-$10 for poolside chairs

If you can afford to tip more, that's great. The staff at Desire work hard and deserve fair pay. I hope management pays them decently so that tips are an extra bonus for good service.

PS - I have also noticed some guests do not tip. That might mean they tipped earlier (start of their trip) or you didn't see it. Or maybe they were not pleased with their service (rare, but it happens) or maybe some people cannot afford to do it everytime. I have also noticed that when many people post about tipping, they are posting that they tip in higher amounts. It's fine whatever you can afford: It's your vacation.
A mix of nervousness + excitement
Cheers2US
Desire Superstar

Will be at:  
We arrive on: 03 Jan 2024
Swing Site(s) we belong to: SLS

Postby Seeking thesis » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:03 am

Coming from the UK where we do not have a tipping culture I find it inexplicable why one would tip for a service that has already been paid for. The service we have received at Desire Pearl has been excellent whether you have tipped or not. If everybody tipped the employees as has been suggested then each employee should be a dollar millionaire in no time. It is not exactly inexpensive to stay at Desire Pearl and so management could easily pay their employees a wage commensurate with the excellent service they provide.
Desire Pearl should employ a non tipping policy. They have this in place in all of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica and it works perfectly well. The only problems occur when some Americans, who are well aware of the non tipping policy, try to force the staff to accept tips which create embarrassing situations as the employees can be dismissed for accepting them.
No guest feels pressurised in worrying about what amount of tip should be given and the service everybody receives is excellent.
Seeking thesis
Desire Convert

Postby CoupleofCanucks » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:38 am

I think tipping is a personal choice and don't agree that if you can't afford to tip you should not go. I do tip but I also try to be very nice to the staff. I always thank them for their work and treat them with respect.

Just because you see somebody not leave a tip does not mean that they never tip. They may tip staff at the end of the trip. A couple of times I have ended up at lunch and found I did not have any cash on me. I just tip more the next day.
CoupleofCanucks
Desire Convert

We are from: Canada
We arrive on: 23 Nov 2018

Postby BBTD » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:36 am

Seeking thesis wrote: They have this in place in all of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica and it works perfectly well. The only problems occur when some Americans, who are well aware of the non tipping policy, try to force the staff to accept tips which create embarrassing situations as the employees can be dismissed for accepting them.

Not sure what your experience is with the Couples resorts in Jamaica, but the policy doesn’t work perfectly well as you suggest. Guests discreetly tip many of the high-performing staff members at all of the Couples locations. Have you bothered to research or donate to any of the foundations in Jamaica that assist in providing a living wage and support Jamaicans working in the hospitality industry?

Additionally, what a lazy assessment about who is to blame for tipping in the Couples resorts! Guests from all over the world tip the staff against resort policy.

-BBTD
BBTD
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 06 Jun 2024

Postby Johnwal » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:28 pm

arcouple wrote:
Johnwal wrote:

We can agree to disagree. However, if anybody has to scrape by to spend a 'long weekend'..then they probably shouldn't come.

Dear oh dear, so hard working people who save to visit a wonderful resort shouldn't come?? We're fortunate we can afford it, we're lucky and we never forget it. I know of people who give up a lot during the year just to get to our little bit of paradise. TBh i've not come across that attitude before at Desire, it's all welcoming wherever you are from and what background you're from. We've met so many friends from all over the world at the resorts, some of the loveliest people we know. Lets not put people off and judge them by what tips they leave
kik:johnwal09
Pearl, Cruise ,RM & GM veterans
next trip..RM July & Dec '24
Johnwal
Desire Lover

Will be at: Desire Riviera Maya
We arrive on: 04 Dec 2023
Swing Site(s) we belong to: fabswingers

Postby bb25 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:27 pm

arcouple: Is this what you said back in 2015? Seems you flipped your opinion on tipping!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postby arcouple » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:36 am

mrmuscle wrote:TnBS & arcouple..........Well each to their own. Management writes a lot of things into their hotel amenities, but you have only to experience the service provided by the family of staff at both resorts to fully appreciate the effort they put into their service. As to whether tipping is a just cause or not??.....do they need it???......when you are there why don't you talk to some of the service staff about their work and the amount they actually get paid by the resort and I guarantee you will be surprised as I was. Some room and board at the resort full time and others commute back and forth to Cancun on provided bus transport. We have become very close friends with some of the staff and were invited to visit them and spend time with their families. A lot of us will take 4-Grand and drop it on a one week holiday where ever at a blink of an eye and if nothing else, that is more than sufficient reason to tip in gratitude for a service that is exemplary. Don't make a decision to tip or not according to what you read in script published by resort management. Make your decision on service received you as a guest from staff member giving service to you. Talk to them, ask them how much they get paid a day. Talk to them, ask them about their family. You will get a totally new perspective and appreciation for their efforts at the Desire resorts. For the majority of us I say TIP, the efforts of the service staff justifies it, and besides, most of the time for a lot of us, that money will just get pissed away somewhere else anyway and not even make a dint in our wallet!!

I'll not feel 'guilty' for their living conditions. Not sure why that would even matter. I really don't care what they get paid, that is between them and their employer. If they don't feel that they are compensated well enough for their efforts, they should take that up with the management.

The efforts of the staff should be top notch, that's what I am paying for. And $4,000 isn't much, in the grand scheme of things...but all inclusive means just that...all inclusive. I will tip on services that I pay for out of pocket for (photos, massage, etc). But to pay a tip for a drink is ridiculous, in my opinion.
bb25
Desire Lover

Postby desireadventures » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:44 am

Been to Pearl 8 times and can honestly say that we've not seen anyone tip anywhere close to those amounts.
desireadventures
Desire Fan

Postby tj71903 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:13 pm

We've been a time or two since finding the place and have seen pretty much everything.

Tipping is not expected as it's all-inclusive, but it's well known that it goes on and I think anyone who has been more than once is probably "guilty" of it.

If you want to tip, that's great. If you don't, that's fine too. To me it's a personal choice and I don't really see the need for the spectrum of lecturing people on what they should do to the opposite extreme of humble bragging.

Either way you're going to get five star service from a truly amazing staff. Be grateful and be kind.
tj71903
Desire Superstar

We arrive on: 26 Dec 2020

Postby jonxenakis » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:35 pm

We’re going back for a fifth time in June.

A little background, minimum wage in Quintana Roo is about $8/day. That’s for ten hours six days a week. That’s pretty close to what the vast majority of the staff is making. The suburban drivers for USA transfers are around $22/day.

With that in mind, we simply tip like we’re at home: couple of bucks for each drink, five or ten for concierge type help, up to $100 depending upon what dinner and drinks/wine would’ve been at a comparable restaurant near home. Works out to about $125 a day.

I don’t have any illusions about the aggressive pricing of a week in paradise trickling down to the guest services staff.

The staff are part of the experience, and we love the full Desire Pearl experience.
jonxenakis
Desire Fan

We arrive on: 02 Jun 2024

Postby arcouple » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:12 pm

bb25 wrote:arcouple: Is this what you said back in 2015? Seems you flipped your opinion on tipping!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postby arcouple » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:36 am

mrmuscle wrote:TnBS & arcouple..........Well each to their own. Management writes a lot of things into their hotel amenities, but you have only to experience the service provided by the family of staff at both resorts to fully appreciate the effort they put into their service. As to whether tipping is a just cause or not??.....do they need it???......when you are there why don't you talk to some of the service staff about their work and the amount they actually get paid by the resort and I guarantee you will be surprised as I was. Some room and board at the resort full time and others commute back and forth to Cancun on provided bus transport. We have become very close friends with some of the staff and were invited to visit them and spend time with their families. A lot of us will take 4-Grand and drop it on a one week holiday where ever at a blink of an eye and if nothing else, that is more than sufficient reason to tip in gratitude for a service that is exemplary. Don't make a decision to tip or not according to what you read in script published by resort management. Make your decision on service received you as a guest from staff member giving service to you. Talk to them, ask them how much they get paid a day. Talk to them, ask them about their family. You will get a totally new perspective and appreciation for their efforts at the Desire resorts. For the majority of us I say TIP, the efforts of the service staff justifies it, and besides, most of the time for a lot of us, that money will just get pissed away somewhere else anyway and not even make a dint in our wallet!!

I'll not feel 'guilty' for their living conditions. Not sure why that would even matter. I really don't care what they get paid, that is between them and their employer. If they don't feel that they are compensated well enough for their efforts, they should take that up with the management.

The efforts of the staff should be top notch, that's what I am paying for. And $4,000 isn't much, in the grand scheme of things...but all inclusive means just that...all inclusive. I will tip on services that I pay for out of pocket for (photos, massage, etc). But to pay a tip for a drink is ridiculous, in my opinion.

If you're going to quote what I said, 8 years ago...at least quote what I said... not some bullshit post from somebody else... (also, did you really look back 8 year to find a post I made about tipping? goodness....)

This was a post I made BEFORE going to Pearl for the first time. So to answer your 'comment' above...no, I didn't flip anything and did tip that first trip...

Re: Tipping

Postby arcouple » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:36 pm
Here's what it says on their website. I am usually one that tips well/very well, depending on service...sometimes up to 25%.

However, I won't plan on tipping at Desire, based on what their website states. I recently returned from Jamaica and their policy at Couples is the same (all inclusive with taxes and tips)

Desire Resorts wrote:
What´s Included

In the deliciously erotic world of Desire Pearl Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, white-sandy beaches, sparkling, turquoise waters will welcome you and your couple to discover the most exquisite deluxe, all inclusive plan that providing you with the most indulging amenities ensures for both of you the most seductive, clothing optional vacation of a lifetime, featuring:

Accommodations: Rooms, Suites, and Penthouses with luxurious Ocean or Garden Views
Personalized check-in, including a welcome glass of sparkling wine.
All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Dining at 2 specialty restaurants: International, Mexican & Asian.
Poolside Lunch.
Daytime & late night snacks.
Premium alcoholic beverages, fine house wine, beer and refreshments.
Food and beverage service available 24 hours.
Around the clock, 24-hour Room Service (service charge).
Day & evening entertainment programs.
Sauna and steam room ($).
Gym
Hotel taxes and tips.
Wireless internet

arcouple
Desire Devotee

arcouple
Desire Devotee

Postby Darikashi » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:43 pm

This has obviously gotten off topic and I apologize for continuing it but we're going to Pearl for our first time in a couple of months and I'm curious how you're handling tipping at all? Are you tipping in USD or Pesos, and how are you carrying it around if you're nude?
Darikashi

Postby arcouple » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:57 pm

Darikashi wrote:This has obviously gotten off topic and I apologize for continuing it but we're going to Pearl for our first time in a couple of months and I'm curious how you're handling tipping at all? Are you tipping in USD or Pesos, and how are you carrying it around if you're nude?

I tip USD. I give the bar tenders and seat attendant the tip after the first interaction of the day. That way I don't have to keep a bunch of $1 bills.
For any of the restaurants, you have to have some type of coverups on, so I will grab a $5 when I get my shoes/shorts.

Have fun!!!
arcouple
Desire Devotee

Next

Return to Trip Reports from Desire Pearl